August 2015 Moms

HELLP/Preeclampsia mamas

blovemamablovemama member
edited September 2015 in August 2015 Moms
Any of you moms with pre e or HELLP syndrome, what are your thoughts on another pregnancy?

Anyone with a previous pregnancy with HELLP/preeclampsia--how'd it go this time?

I know it's early to be thinking about this, but I've always wanted at least 2 kiddos. This first pregnancy was really hard on both me and baby. I got preeclampsia at 32 weeks and then HELLP at 34 weeks 4 days. I was hospitalized for almost 3 weeks. I had an "urgent" c section once I developed HELLP because my platelets became dangerously low. HELLP syndrome also has like a 10-60% infant mortality rate and a 1% maternal death rate, so baby boy needed to come out. Not to mention, 1 in 4 women with HELLP are left with permanent kidney or liver damage. As far as my labs show, I haven't had and permanent liver or kidney damage from HELLP. My BP is back to perfect (110/70) now, too. My baby is doing great, too. He was pretty much fine in there until the very end when the amniotic fluid got a little low but still within normal range. The neonatologist said repeatedly that he was everything they hoped for in a 34 weeker. His apgars were 8 & 9! No IUGR either. So even though I was really sick, he was spared. At my 6 wk PP appointment, I asked my OB about future pregnancies. She said I would almost definitely get preeclampsia but hopefully late in the pregnancy. She told me that I had none of the risk factors for preeclampsia--basically just really bad luck. As terrifying as having a baby at 34 weeks was, I almost cry with gratitude when I think how lucky we were that he was viable when I became ill. My fear is that if I get pregnant again, I may get HELLP even earlier. The preeclampsia was no ballgame, but it was the HELLP complication that forced the early delivery. I'm also afraid that next time I won't be so lucky with being spared the organ damage. I also know there's no guarantee that the next baby would be spared from the scarier complications like IUGR. For the time being, I am soaking in every precious moment with my darling boy knowing this might be the only go at it I'll get. I'm 27, so I figure I've probably got about 10 more fertile years left. Praying for a cure before then!

Edited because I spelled HELLP wrong and to add how terrible the magnesium sulfate drip was. I had to be on it twice. Once when I was first admitted and they were afraid I'd be delivering that day because the protein in my urine and then again after he was born two weeks later. Seriously the worst medical experience of my life! But it did keep my brain safe, so I guess I really shouldn't complain!
Together since '07
Married since '12
Off the pill since 5/14
BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

Re: HELLP/Preeclampsia mamas

• I developed pre e with this pregnancy and then I also had post partum pre e. I had no risk factors so I was also just one of those lucky ones. Apparently it was even more random since I did not have it with my first. I think we are done having children, but I was going to ask my doctor about what this entails for future pregnancies. I am still on blood pressure medication and my feet still swell up every once in a while.

I feel like we are really lucky. If I had not gone back to the hospital when I did things could have ended much differently. It sucks, but I have read somewhere about a baby aspirin regimine during pregnany for those who had high blood pressure. Or maybe they would put you on blood pressure meds from the beginning... Not sure. I know there is a high risk pregnancy board and they might have more answers.

Sorry you had to go through all of that. It sucks that it is something do random and doctors don't know that much about why you get it.
    photo 8e32bb2b-42a7-49d2-85df-cab52864175d_zpse525d043.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • **Lurker**

Obviously very little to add, but I wanted to pass along an experience and some hope:
    My mom had pre-e and HELLP with me.
    She had neither with my brother after me.

She also had an emergency c-section with me but delivered my brother vaginally, full term. The only complication she had with my brother was gestational diabetes that went away post delivery.

~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Loading the player...
  • I had pre-eclampsia with my first, delivered due to high BP at 37+4 days. With this pregnancy, as a precaution, I took baby aspirin from 13-37 weeks. I developed no symptoms of pre-eclampsia throughout my second pregnancy, delivered at 39+2, healthy mom, healthy baby. Then was rushed to the hospital 7 days with post-partum pre-eclampsia (BP 190s/110s). Had a very scary 3 days in the ICU, magnesium drip & lots of BP meds. It came out of nowhere and regulated itself just as quickly. I was off all BP meds 10 days later.

As badly as I want more children, I'm scared of what could happen & I'll be talking to my Dr at my 6 week appt next week.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• I had both with my first and it was severe. Early emergency c section at 36 weeks, baby in the NICU, then the pre e got worse after delivery and I was hospitalized again and was on BP meds for a year. I was 33/34 during that pregnancy. My doc said it was very unlikely I would get it again. I developed the pre e in this pregnancy around 30 weeks and had 3 trips to the hospital before they decided to deliver baby at 37 weeks. My BP was so high I required magnesium before the c. I was kept in recovery for 5 days. Back in the hospital with extremely high BP and headaches 2 days later. I am 39. We've decided it is terribly unsafe for me to go thru another pregnancy...I would be terrified, but it is your decision. Talk through your fears with your doc...:)
  • I developed HELLP syndrome at 39 weeks, 5 days and had an emergency c section. My doctor told me the chances are high to have it again with each pregnancy but since I developed it so late in pregnancy my chances are slightly lower. My husband and I have always wanted a big family with 3 or 4 children and now we are unsure what we will do... It's very scary but we have years to think and pray about it.
  • I developed pre-e at 32/33 weeks. I went to my 32 week appointment on a Thursday. My blood pressure was 140/85. They did a NST and had me do a urine collection that night with a follow up appointment and ultrasound scheduled for Monday. That Saturday night, I had an unbearable headache. My husband took me to our local hospital and my blood pressure was higher than at the doctors. They made arrangements to have me transferred to a hospital about 20 minutes away that had a level3 NICU just in case. Over the course of the next three days, my blood pressure continued to rise and at 33w5d (Tuesday), our little guy was born weighing 4lb, 8oz. He spent 15 days in the NICU learning to eat (no other medical concerns). My blood pressure was 198/102 when they took me back for the c-section. I came home on blood pressure meds but have since been taken off of them. I asked my OB at the 6 week PP appointment and he said the risk in a second pregnancy is no higher just because I had it during the first. Still makes us nervous to try for another baby. Even though our little guy didn't have any medical concerns, the thought of another baby in the NICU even just learning to eat terrifies me! The thought of being on another magnesium drip makes me cringe as well
  • I had pre e with my first, and not with my second. Having it the first time makes it less likely to have it again, actually. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
                photo 9C31AC9F05D04D93B9651C72F4FB18BCashx_zps51f4b406.gifimagephoto 9AE0565796E740CE962988DC1EFD9F27ashx_zps7852ee4b.gif
  • I developed pre e with liver involvement post partum with this baby, our 3rd, and I wouldn't want to go through that again.
    I was hospitalized twice within my DDs first 2 weeks of life and went through two rounds of magnesium sulfate drips.

Never again.
  • I was induced at 35+5 due to pre-e. My blood pressure was around 180/117 at the highest. I was on magnesium. I have chronic high blood pressure. My daughter was IUGR to 33 weeks and spent 16 days in the NICU. I'm 40, so I would need to get pregnant again very soon to have another baby. I don't see it happening at all. My husband and I thought we would see how this one goes, and it went horribly. That mags was the worst.
  • I had pre-e and HELLP syndrome and delivered at 34 weeks. My OB told me that it could mean both our lives if I get pregnant again bc he feels I would have the same problems.
    We don't want anymore kids, but it's the big "what if" hanging over our heads now.
  • @sjra1028 I'm getting a mirena IUD because I'm really afraid of getting pregnant. It's so ironic because this time last year, I would have given anything to be knocked up! Even before we got married, I thought adoption would be a great way to grow a family. Given the pregnancy complications and my desire for more kiddos, it's something I think we will prob pursue.
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• @BritJonathan I almost got that too, but backed out at my appt. Kids are so wonderful and I don't blame you for wanting more! :-) I've got 2 step kids and 2 of my own now.
  • Magnesium drip is the worst... You are totally out of it for 24 hours.
    photo 8e32bb2b-42a7-49d2-85df-cab52864175d_zpse525d043.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had Pre-e with my first pregnancy and had two pregnancies after that without pre-e.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17