March 2015 Moms
Options

Momma guilt!

Hi all, just wondering how all copes with guilt after accidentally hurting their baby?! Tonight I accidentally banged my daughters head off the door frame when walking through the door, hard enough to leave a rather large lump and a very irritable little girl. Of course I rung the emergency room but they told me to wake Evie every hour just to make sure she's responsive as she fell asleep quite quickly after the little accident and seems quite content. Myself on the other hand is completely beside myself with guilt. Even though it was an accident and these things happen I'm feeling like the worst mum in the world knowing I hurt her. I haven't stopped crying since - I know I sound so silly, but the thought of anything (especially myself!) hurting Evie breaks my heart. Very sure I will not be getting any sleep tonight! Anyone had a similar incident who feels the same have any advice or kind words?

Re: Momma guilt!

• Options
    I was so sleep deprived with my first born that I accidentally let him roll off the couch during a diaper change. My whole inlaw family saw it. I was horrified and embarrassed- I ran up to the nursery with the baby, nursed him to sleep, then flipped out for a good two hours... Couldn't stop crying either. I'm sorry it happened to you but you are certainly not alone. Virtual hug!
  • Options
    We just had our first instance today - he was in his crib and I got a wild hair to rearrange nursery furniture. He's sitting up basically all the time, but still wobbly. Well he fell over and hit his head on the crib /: we only use a mesh bumper and now I'm kind of wishing I'd just of followed my instincts and gotten a padded one for this very reason. At this age though I didn't want him to see me upset - to make him more upset. So I picked him up and gave him a toy. I watched him for the next few hours and he's been fine. The red mark went away. Just know you're doing a great job and it happens. I've clipped his skin before trimming his nails. That was worse - but again. It just happens and you have to do your best. They won't remember it anyways :).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When my baby was only 3 weeks old I was holding him and accidentally hit his head on the door, I pushed it with my foot and it flung open right as I turned and hit him in the head. He cried hard but only for a few seconds. I was devastated. I cried so hard, it took all of my family to console me. Lol. He had a little red mark on his head. It went away within a day or two but I was so upset. He survived and I did too, within a few days I was even able to laugh at myself for reacting that way. It's ok, accidents happen and our babies are more durable than we think.
  • Options
    Yep, a few weeks ago I managed to walk into a door frame with my daughter. I laughed it off (I'd been warned about door frames) but my husband was so shocked! It happens, they're more durable than we think!
  • Options
    My daughter has been very very irritable today! It's very unlike her, people are always commenting on what a happy little child she is and how content she always is, but today has been the complete opposite. She's been crying A LOT and I've been trying to feed, get her to sleep, play, cuddles, consoling in anyway I can think possible, changing her bottom, anything I can think of that may be making her antsy but she still was crying and has been most of the day. Seriously asking myself whether I need to call back a doctor and just ask about it. I know her darling head is going to be sore, but even after some calpol she's still the same. This is the most horrible feeling ever!
  • Options
    daniellarhhdaniellarhh member
    edited September 2015
    I ended up in a&e with my Nearly 6 month old daughter last weekend! Silly me put her on the couch while I popped to the toilet. She had been rolling over for a good 3 1/2 months at this point. Heard her cry as I was walking up the stairs and just presumed she was crying because I left her but then my mother found her on the floor! I also rang emergency room and because of her age, they insisted I came in just to get her checked (which was also for my piece of mind!) I felt horrible. Knowing that she was crying and I just walked off breaks my heart but it's bound to happen, same as walking into door frames! Okay I try to prevent all of it as much as possible but accidents happen and it's only going to get worse as little ones are crawling and walking, into objects and banging their heads on coffee table's etc! But I know exactly how you feel! Definitely give the doctor a call, you can never be too sure and it's also for your piece of mind as well as finding out if your little one is okay!
  • Options
    Smacking your kid's head into a doorframe is basically a parenting rite of passage. She'll be fine, mama. Be easy on yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker