2nd Trimester

Does itching your stomach during pregnancy cause stretchmarks?

My stomach has been super itchy this week as I can tell this baby is definitely growing. (I'm 18 weeks, 1 day) I have been told mixed things that if you itch your stomach while it's growing it helps cause stretchmarks and other people said that's a myth. What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

Thanks!!!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Does itching your stomach during pregnancy cause stretchmarks?

• Nope, but if your belly is itchy, use more moisturizer and drink a lot of water. Sadly, stretch marks are genetic and you can't do a whole lot to prevent them if you're predisposed to them.

• Loading the player...
  • Nothing you do or don't do will cause or prevent stretch marks.
  • Basically the point is keep hydrated and use lotion to help with the itch.

Damn! Everyone of you... It's genetics. I'm sure she got the point!

If you do get stretch marks there are things you can do while they are forming once they turn white there isn't much you can do. Talk to your doctor instead of these judgmental mommy wars women.
  • UTHorn said:

Basically the point is keep hydrated and use lotion to help with the itch.

Damn! Everyone of you... It's genetics. I'm sure she got the point!

If you do get stretch marks there are things you can do while they are forming once they turn white there isn't much you can do. Talk to your doctor instead of these judgmental mommy wars women.

What got your panties in a wad? No one here said anything bad or uncalled for except for you calling the PP's "judgemental mommy wars women?" what provoked that? Because everyone agreed that stretch marks can't be prevented, its genetics???? No one said anything bad.

Taken directly from WebMD:

If your mother had stretch marks, then you're more likely to have them too, since genetics plays a role.

If you have a lighter complexion, you will tend to develop pinkish stretch marks. Darker-skinned women tend to get stretch marks that are lighter than their skin tone.

Is Prevention Possible?
    Unfortunately, there’s no way to prevent stretch marks. There’s not a cream, lotion, or “mommy” balm that can do that -- and if that’s the claim on the bottle, don’t be fooled, Lupo says."

Yup sure do! People on this board always come across as know it alls! And yeah I knew that too about stretch marks but there are better ways than "it's genetics you'll get them anyway." Okay mean girl this isn't the cafeteria! People are looking for support! Not being brushed off. Even though this is text there are ways to show support. Yes, even for something as simple as stretch marks. Wording can change a sentence dramatically!
  • But just cause your mom has them does not automatically mean you will get them. I did not get them from my first pregnancy and my mother has stretch marks. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sooooomebody's a little sensitive.

• Many people appreciate straight forward answers. This isn't a support group.

Then you haven't been reading many articles on the Bump. It specifically says find support on our forums. There are ways to be straight forward and not sound like a lot of you.
  • But saying it's genetics is supportive (not that we have to be). Is telling someone "don't scratch, because you'll get stretch marks. Make sure to buy the cream. If you use the cream you will 100% not get stretch marks," supportive? No. Because then OP may follow that advice believing she won't get stretch marks. Then what happens if she does (because that's not how they're caused)? I like to know facts and science. And, OP did come asking about them, so I'm assuming she wanted answers from people who knew (or in regards to stretch marks - know-it-alls).

OP - I used cream so I didn't get itchy. I was excited as I wasn't getting stretch marks (even though I gained so much weight). Thought I was in the clear. Then BAM! 36 weeks - hello stretch marks. I hated (still hate) them, but they honestly aren't really bad. Just anecdotal, because my experience has no effect on anyone else's. My mom had stretch marks too, but she told me hers didn't come until after delivery when she started to shrink back.
  • Genetics does plays a role but so does a lot of other things. If you are itchy put some cream or oil on your stomach. Also there are other things that play a role, your size pre pregnancy, your weight gain rate during pregnancy, and if you are taking care of your skin.
  • eshook2 said:

Genetics does plays a role but so does a lot of other things. If you are itchy put some cream or oil on your stomach. Also there are other things that play a role, your size pre pregnancy, your weight gain rate during pregnancy, and if you are taking care of your skin.

Please stop spreading false information. Half-truths are still whole lies. "Taking care of your skin" cannot trump genetics.

• queenwog said:

eshook2 said:

Genetics does plays a role but so does a lot of other things. If you are itchy put some cream or oil on your stomach. Also there are other things that play a role, your size pre pregnancy, your weight gain rate during pregnancy, and if you are taking care of your skin.

Please stop spreading false information. Half-truths are still whole lies. "Taking care of your skin" cannot trump genetics.

It doesn't trump genetics but if you are going to get them there are things you can do to help them from getting worse. :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • kynbar5 said:

queenwog said:

eshook2 said:

----quote box fail-------

Did we not say to use lotion, cream, etc to help with dry skin? Did we not say to keep hydarated? Besides that there is nothing that really can be done, because they start internally.

Not exactly sure why you're tying to start an argument. I wasn't saying you were wrong. I'm aware of how stretch marks start. You're right, if you're going to get them, you're going to get them. However, "taking care of your skin" can make them more bearable and sometimes a little less noticeable. :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • eshook2 said:

Anyone at any stage of their life can get stretch marks, it doesn't have to be pregnancy, or weight gain. My boyfriend got them from working out on his inner thighs. He definitely wasn't pregnant, didn't gain any more then 5-10 lbs. A lot of people will get them during puberty, I was lucky and didn't, but when I got pregnant I got them, and there's nothing you can do to prevent them, or fix them, or make them go away, they become part of your body. You can either choose to sook over them, or get over it.
  • I found a wonderful cream that my dermatologist recommended. It's called CeraVe. It's intense moisturizing so i just put it on before bed every night. It has helped the itchies and I love it! They also have a baby line too! It's available at Walmart or Target. Hope this helps! :)