September 2015 Moms
Options

Annoyed. How long does pitocin take to kick in??

kheitic4kheitic4 member
edited September 2015 in September 2015 Moms
So my due date is Sunday 9/13 but at my appointment today they decided baby needs to come out now due to moderate gestational hypertension and the baby is too small interuterine growth something. Which we knew it was measuring small but had 3 ultra sounds this week and it's in 10%. Anyhow my first two babies were induced with cervadil and it kicked me straight into active labor. This time they said I'm already 70% effaced 2cm and -2 something and don't need it. So they put me straight on pitocin which really scares me. Never had it before. But it's not working they keep coming in and upping it and nada. How long does it take to kick in? The cervadil inductions I was 1cm 50% effaced (both times) and went straight into contractions. I'm having small contractions supposedly but don't feel them yet.

Re: Annoyed. How long does pitocin take to kick in??

• Options
    With my girls it did work relatively quick, but I have nothing to compare to, and my cervix was "favorable" each time.
    I think it's common practice to give a starting dose and to keep increasing it over time. I don't know pitocin protocol, but they may have to take it slowly since you've had high blood pressure and because of baby's growth restriction. But honestly, I have no idea, just guessing.
    You could always request cervadil, just explain that last time it worked well for you and you'd like to use it again. They'd have to get the OB to order it, but it may not be a problem.
  • Options
    Did you do ok on the pitocin? I'm so nervous I'll need an emergency c section because of course I've read nothing good about it. I have fast labors so far, so they started me really slow on it. I just feel like it's taking forever. I'm sure it will kick in all at once. Then I'll be really annoyed haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine kicked in instantly. Had 1-2 min apart contractions immediately
  • Options
    I did well with pitocin, I also had fast labors. I actually was in the hospital a while this time, and I saw my sheet the nurses were using to keep up with my care info and it said "fast labor" in pink highlighter across the whole thing!! Lol :)
    I'm sending positive vibes your way momma! The end is in sight!! I know it's so stressful, but just try to drink it all in! These are the stories you get to tell your LO someday!
  • Options
    I had an induction with my first daughter and from the time I started the pitocin to giving birth was 24 hours. With my second daughter it was an hour and a half. So huge difference there. Both were born vaginally.
  • Options
    It took me 9 hours maybe? I was at 0 dilation when I started the pitocin and when I finally did get to 3 cms I stayed there for most of the day. Then went from 3-10 in like an hour and a half. Hang in there and move around if you can. Get on a ball and too around on it. Good luck!
  • Options
    I was at a 2 and 90% effaced. It took several hours for the contractions to start. They kept increasing the dosage and even after the contractions started it was probably 2 more hours until they were intense.
  • Options
    Same for me. Took a long time to start. But once I felt my first contraction baby was born 3 hours later. My quickest labor and pushing so far! Easiest birth I've ever had out of three. Was just surprised because it was a boy and I had my heart set on a girl (we were team green lol) as I said how can it be a boy? He peed all over me. Ha
  • Options
    My midwife started me with a Foley bulb which got me to a 4cm in an hour (really unusual) and then we did pitocin for eleven hours and I only progressed to a 6cm. The pitocin wasn't terrible, but it did take forever to work. The nurses bumped it up 2mL every 30 minutes and I think I only got to 14 mL because they were worried it would send me into labor too quickly.
  • Options
    They had me on pitocin 9am-4pm and kept increasing it. I was on 20 pitocin and still not really feeling anything. They broke my water and BOOM baby was born 25 minutes later. Pitocin only dialated me 1 additional cm. from what my doctor says everyone reacts differently, so it's hard to say what is normal or average for anything in OBGYN.