Breastfeeding

Manual or Electric Breast Pump?

I'm a FTM and trying to decide what I need. The electric breast pumps all say "for mothers who pump often"... Well, what does that mean exactly? I'm planning to
be a SAHM for awhile, so my first reaction is that I won't have to pump that often and maybe an electric would be overkill. But on the other hand, I wonder if I'll end up wishing I had an electric anyway?

Thoughts/advice? TIA!!!

Re: Manual or Electric Breast Pump?

• Electric all the way. I'm producing more than my daughter eats right now so I'm pumping 1-2 times a day and freezing. I'm really happy with the medela pump in style that I have.
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• I've been looking at the Medela pumps. Which model do you have? @Justone13
  • Loading the player...
  • Go for the electric. When pumping you just need to focus on the calm. I had a Medela PISA and it was my best friend for a year. Good luck!
  • SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited September 2015
    Electric!

And it shouldn't be overkill since health insurance is supposed to cover an electric pump.
  • Electric will be easier, but I actually get way more and faster with the hand pump. The only downside is that it's not hands free and you can only do one side at a time. I use the manual when I'm sitting around at home and the electric when I go to work.
  • OMG how can anyone even doubt... ELECTRIC all the way. And make sure it's a double electric. Esp since you are a SAHM. Imagine this: baby is howling next to you when you're pumping and you have to crank that sucker, by hand, one boob at a time.... Takes forever and makes your hands exhausted! With a double electeic, if you're lucky, a hands free bra or pumpin pal necklace works for you and you can actually interact with baby WHILE pumping.... And both sides are pumped at the same time.... Can't even imagine the alternative.... Manual is nice for an emergency but NOT as your main pump.
  • Double electric is what worked best for me.  Even if you only use it sparingly, it's much faster to use the electric than the manual.  

I have the Medela PISA.
  • I have the pump in style. It's awesome!!
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• Thanks for the advice everyone!! Sounds like electric is the way to go!
  • Check out the Spectra S1 or S2. I rented a Medela Symphony (hospital grade) for a while, then found out about the Spectra, bought it, and was amazed at how much more comfortable it was, and I could actually pump more with it...