May 2016 Moms

Inconclusive hcg

my hcg blood test was inconclusive 2 days before missed period... Could it be too early? I've had multiple positive HPT starting from the day before the blood test.

Re: Inconclusive hcg

• I would think the blood test would show pos before a urine test. Mayne it was a lab error. Did they talk about a redraw?
  • Yes they are having me come in tomorrow
  • Loading the player...
  • When you say "inconclusive", do you mean the HCG was zero?

image        image

• They did not provide any number. The nurse I spoke with said the test only read "inconclusive" and she could not tell me a number
  • lest12lest12 member
    edited September 2015

That's annoying!  I think you will have a lot more answers after tomorrow.  (edit: sorry, that was really captain obvious of me to say)

The number may have just been low (which they normally are that early!) and they wanted to see a second blood draw with better betas before they "confirmed".  Or it could have been an error like PP said.

Have you taken more HPTs since?

image        image

• Yes I've taken several each day and they are all getting darker and appearing sooner than before
  • That is definitely a good sign then! Hopefully the betas go up enough that they will give you a green light.

If it makes you feel better, my betas were 97 at my first draw and my doctor made me come back for another draw because they were so low, he wanted to make sure it was progressing. I didn't even think 97 was that low. All drs have their own way of looking at things. It is weird the nurse said that and wouldn't give you more details though.

Good luck tomorrow!

image        image

• I believe that the technical bHCG level that is considered "pregnant" is anything over 25 (though its possible some labs may use 50, though I think thats an older system).  Our labs consider anything below 5 "not pregnant,"  anything between 5 and 25 "inconclusive" and anything above 25 "pregnant."  

When I was not pregnant, my bHCG levels were below 1.

I took pregnancy tests pretty much every day after my IVF transfer.  I started to see a SUPER faint line (like I thought I was making it up, maybe I was) 3 days after the transfer (the equivalent of 8 dpo) and it continued to get darker until it was a clear positive (though still quite faint) at 5 days post transfer (10dpo).  At 6 days post transfer I had my first blood betaHCG test and my bHCG level was 44 (which was considered both "pregnant" and normal for that time frame).  Presumably it was half that 48 hours before (at 9dpo, when I was getting a faint positive on a HPT), so a bHCG of 22, and therefore I would have been considered "inconclusive" if we had had a blood test at that time. 

There's no way to know what they meant until tomorrow's test, but hopefully this information is helpful in calming nerves until then!  Hoping for the best!  
  • My beta levels today were 17 and they asked me to come back on Monday, because they double every 48 hours - but that means they'll only be at 34 on Monday and they tell me that for the military hospitals they consider 50 to be the baseline indicator of "conclusive". FX that Baby Bit is sticky. Haha. Hopefully, your test will be more conclusive tomorrow! I would also ask them and see if they will tell you if it was a test error or your beta levels were just low. 
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker