Breastfeeding

Spitting up at breast not spitting up after bottle

my LO is 10 weeks and he can drink 3 1/2 oz. to 4oz. Of pumped breast milk in about 10 minutes and he does not spit up. When I breastfeed him, he will feed and spit up on my breast while feeding. Why would he spit up at the breast and not with the bottle? Any suggestions to prevent the spitting up while breastfeeding? It's such a night and day difference.

Re: Spitting up at breast not spitting up after bottle

• Is he in a different position while bottle feeding? I noticed something similar when I went back to work- my husband was feeding LO with a bottle and he wasn't spitting up because he was taking the bottle upright. When he was BFing, he was in a more reclined position. I changed up my BFing position to keep him more upright and it's definitely minimized his spitting up.
  • I agree with the position.

Also, depending on what size nipple you use, the flow from the bottle could be slower than your let down.  When DD2 was a newborn, she would sometimes cough if my let down was too fast and would spit up some milk.  

If you have a strong let down, you could always try to pump for a minute until it slows a little and then pop him on the breast.