August 2015 Moms
Options

Rant/vent mailmans baby

So my baby girl was born with a head full of dark hair. My SO and I are both blondes so we were both shocked to see this full head of dark hair. We obviously don't care and are just happy she is healthy and happy. Now it's a joke among our families and friends that she is the mailmans baby. It bothers me that he might start to question if she's his. Its just all anyone seems to talk about. :-( anyone else have some crazy genes their baby's picked up?

Re: Rant/vent mailmans baby

• Options
    My LO looks absolutely nothing like DH so I get the mailman joke too. Just like PP said, if the joke offends you, you need to say something. And make sure you have science on your side, my LO has reddish hair do to me carrying the red hair gene even though DH and I both have brown hair.

Me: 25 DH: 27

Married: April 25th, 2014

DD #1: August 20th, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you and your DH have a healthy relationship, I don't think he is going to suddenly think the baby is not his unless you have given him reason to worry. My mom was blonde (now gray), dad black hair, brothers both have brown hair, and me? Red. I actually always tell people, "Yeah, my mom has blonde, my dad has black, and the mailman has brown hair, so no clue where I came from!" I understand it can be annoying when people imply your baby that you just made doesn't look like you since our babies are a part of us and we are so proud of them, but I would just laugh it off!
  • Options
    If it helps; my first two kids were born with black hair and by their first birthdays they were both blonde. (DH is blonde I have brown hair) they never lost their hair (went bald) rather the blonde hair grew in as the dark hair fell out-always had hair
  • Options
    I know I'm just being hormonal
  • Options

It is normal, we all have things that piss us off when it comes to our babies!
  • Options
    Both me and DH are blonds and both our babies have been born with heads full of dark hair. My hair was also almost black when I was born but was blond by 6 months. My older daughters was blond by then too. Even my husband jokes about the mailman coming over while he is at work. Doesn't both me at all. Especially now that DD is a little older and is so obviously his daughter. She just has so much of his personality its crazy.
  • Options
    Miz_Liz said:

I commented before I was finished but yeah I think me being an unwed mother is making me feel more defensive with my old fashioned family.

• Options
    My DH and I both have dark hair and brown eyes, LO was born super blonde.
  • Options
    My DD is very blonde and both DH and I are brunettes. This baby is black haired and looks way more like my BIL than DH. DH has joked about it a few times but I know he's not serious.
    If you're really upset about it, tell people that. "Well, we all know it is his child so there's no need to keep up the joke!" With a laugh or a smile.
  • Options

I commented before I was finished but yeah I think me being an unwed mother is making me feel more defensive with my old fashioned family.

Screw them. Just remind yourself being unwed doesn't make you any less of a mother. Maybe just make a joke back at them like, "Oh no, not the mailman's baby, have you seen him? He is hideous! This is obviously the UPS guy's kid!"
  • Options
    I know the feeling! My first two babes have green and grey/blue eyes. My husband and I both have brown eyes, so I'm well aware of the whole mailmans baby joke. The funny thing is that my kids have daddy's face lol so there's no mistaking who's they really are. Our LO (#3) has brown eyes but now because of everyone's expectations of green or blue eyes now the joke is that LO has to be the milkmans baby because of the brown eyes...go figure
  • Options

I know the feeling! My first two babes have green and grey/blue eyes. My husband and I both have brown eyes, so I'm well aware of the whole mailmans baby joke. The funny thing is that my kids have daddy's face lol so there's no mistaking who's they really are. Our LO (#3) has brown eyes but now because of everyone's expectations of green or blue eyes now the joke is that LO has to be the milkmans baby because of the brown eyes...go figure

Me, DH, and DSD all have brown eyes and this little girl is showing no signs of hers turning brown. My DSD looks more like me than my own kid right now!! :((
  • Options
    When my cousin was born she had very thick black hair (both of her parents were fair). And when she was 6 months it's gradually feel out and grew back fine and lighter brown. Now aged 8 she's blonde! Don't worry x
  • Options
    My LO has blonde hair and blue eyes. DH and I have darker hair and I have brown eyes DH has hazel eyes. Tanner looks exactly like his dad so he couldn't deny him.
  • Options
    DHs step-father constantly makes jokes about DH not being the father of our kids (because he's gay or not man enough, etc). It has gotten really old. I talked to DH about it and the jokes have slowed but not stopped. It really bothers me. What kind of person do they think I am? I have been with DH since I was 18. There is 100% no possibility that our kids could be anything but his. The jokes just aren't funny. I haven't snapped yet but I seriously feel it coming. I know how you feel! I agree with PP, say something! The jokes have gotten old and you can tell them that.