August 2015 Moms

Circle of Life

This may be a slightly dark topic for this forum, but since having my LO and watching my parents become grandparents, I can't stop thinking about death. I see so clearly now that I'll one day have to bury my parents just as LO will have to bury me.

Have any of you been forced into thinking about this since the birth of your LO? I guess I just want to make sure I'm not alone or having strange anxiety that's out of place.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
DD: Aug. 15
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Circle of Life

• Its a huge anxiety for DH. He has on multiple occasions commented on how we haven't gotten life insurance yet. DS is only 5 weeks. I have thought about it (especially considering my dad's recent battle with cancer) but I try not too. I feel like it will drive me crazy if I think about it to much.
  • edited September 2015
    Completely normal to have these thoughts. You're not just loving for you anymore. You have a little person who solely depends on you and your H. I remember immediately making changes on our life insurance policies when DS was born. It's not something I think about constantly but it's very normal to ponder on it from time to time.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • This has always been a tough subject for DH. We had to pull over on the ride home a few nights ago because he was driving and had a panic attack about death. I have no idea how to help him through it. :( I'm sorry you are anxious about it. DH claims that I help him through it, so is there someone you can express your anxiety to? Thinking of you.
  • I think about it in passing time to time since I've had children. Today I found myself realizing that both my and DH's parents are alive and healthy and we will have to experience losing them someday and it completely overwhelmed me. I then snapped out of it and realized that in the future I will look back on my present as one of the happiest times of my life. I have precious little ones and a family who is happy and healthy and thriving. I know death is a reality but I want to live in the present, appreciating the gifts of today. I try not to borrow trouble.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is something I think about from time to time as well, I think particularly since I have relied so heavily on my parents since my first was born. And also that I have seen them in a whole new light since then - appreciating what they went through as parents. I guess your perspective on life changes a lot when you become a parent. I am sure it's normal to have these thoughts but Hopefully it's not weighing on your mind more than it should be.
  • I think it's normal. I find myself randomly getting overwhelmed by thoughts of losing DH. Of course I would have been devastated to lose him even before DD arrived but now I really worry about losing him and DD growing up without knowing him.

I don't really have any advice, except if you can't seem to shake these thoughts or they become too overwhelming then try talking to someone. Other than that, just know you're not alone.
  • Thank you all. It's good to know that it's completely normal. It's kept me up a couple nights, so I'll just keep it in check and talk to someone if I need to.
    I just need to try to focus on the little life DH and I have created... And maybe in future little lives :)

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
  • I worry about myself dying and leaving DS without a mom. I feel like I need to be healthier so he'll have me for as long as possible! I want to be able to see as much of his life as I can!
  • I seriously just cried about this today. My mom was diagnosed with cancer at 42 and they're guessing it was there as early as 37. It's one of the more highly genetic forms of cancer and I'm terrified of dying young and leaving my kids without a mom. All I can do is try to be healthy and get screened more than the average person. But it haunts me and today it just overwhelmed me. I suppose it's normal for us all to worry about our kids' futures and our roles in them. We just have to enjoy the moment we're in and stay positive. (Trying to pep talk myself here!)
  • Death is just something every single living thing has to go through at some point. It's scary but it's just part of life. There's no point on stressing out about it. Try not to dwell on it. Just make the best of your time on earth and hold onto your loved ones as long as you can. We're all so blessed to have children and be able to experience such deep love :x . Try to focus on that :) .
  • I find myself thinking about this often.. mostly because I'm 29 and DH is 41. It got me thinking about how much time we all have left together and how quickly that time is going to go by. Also because right now DS has a great-grandma. I started thinking about how old I was when I lost MY great grandma. I think it's totally normal to think about these things, especially just bringing a new life into the world. 
    I agree with PP's , All we can really do is try to appreciate the people in our lives more and live in the moment.