July 2015 Moms

pumping exhaustion

So I've been EP for a few weeks now due to LO choking gagging at the breast bc of overactive letdown/oversupply issues and the modified techniques etc recommended by the LC weren't working. He's doing much better with the bottle and we found out yesterday he htas severe reflux during and after feeding. The round the clock pumping is exhausting me :/ I am soo incredibly tired. I feel like all I do is feed the baby, pump, clean bottles/pump parts, and yell at the 19 month old to stop being crazy. Then repeat. He's still waking up in the MOTN to eat too, so it's feed, keep upright for 40 min and pump so I'm up for a good 2 hours. Then I get about 2 more hours of sleep then it's time to repeat, then the 19 mth old is up and hubby leaves for work. Seriously by 8am I'm ready for everyone to lay down and take a nap. Anyone else feel this way? We have to start thickening LOs breastmilk with rice cereal bc of the reflux, hoping that will fill him up and get rid of the night feeding so I can get a couple more hours of sleep. Blah. Just.so.tired.

Re: pumping exhaustion

• I exclusively pumped with our first son who is now 21 months. It is exhausting and honestly I said if this LO didnt latch, I was going to formula. We actually used formula with our first to supplement and have recently as well. My husband does a night feeding and I sleep and don't get up. Maybe you could do that and honestly if your supply drops a bit you could supplement? I know how tough a toddler and newborn are to handle...you need rest too! Just suggestions...even one or two nights of rest per week will help you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I exclusively pump too. My whole day feels like a lather rinse repeat! My LO was too lazy on the breast, so we went to bottles. He gags & chokes all the time. And if we don't keep him upright for several minutes after a feeding, most of his bottle comes up. I'm going to ask his doc about reflux at the next apt. Mine was sleeping through the night, and now he's back to waking every two hours!!! I've increased the amount I give him and that makes no difference. I feel your pain minus the 19 month old. It sucks when my hubby is out of town for business. It's hard to do alone. I hate hearing baby cry as I pump.
  • Loading the player...
  • We EP as well and I agree with @alanna7777 - maybe you could have someone help you at night so you can get a little sleep? I pump every 3 hours, and for the past 3 weeks I've been skipping the pump that should happen between 12-6am. I feed her just before I go to sleep and pump, and then my husband takes the next feeding shift, and by 6am she is ready to be fed again and I pump! It's actually nice cause my supply hasn't dropped - I just get a TON of milk at 6am, and feel rested.

If I notice she is cluster feeding, I resume the 3am pump to help it along, or power pump during one of my usual times to help build up the supply.

I know it's exhausting though, and I'm certainly praying for you! Good luck!
  • Thanks for the support ladies!!! I've had my DH do the MOTN feeding once before but it only works if our 19 mth old sleeps through the night, which right now is only happening once a week if we are lucky. He's cutting his last 2 teeth and I also think he knows little brother gets to sleep in our room and feels left out. So he wakes up screaming usually and DH has to take care of him. I'm trying to nap when they nap during the day if it falls during the same time. Today I got lucky and was able to nap for about 1.5 hours with them!! Pumping is so much harder than I thought it would be!!