July 2015 Moms
Options

How to handle naps when you're not at home

I am wondering what you all do about naps when you're away from home. Up until this point I've been trying to stay home during her nap time but I know that's just not always practical. I also know how much she needs her naps and how it messes up the whole day if she doesn't get one. I've been invited to a bible study on Friday mornings that will have me out of the house for around 2.5 hours. My baby is also pretty particular about where she sleeps - won't sleep in car seat or swing, sometimes though in a baby wrap. Any advice?

Re: How to handle naps when you're not at home

• Options
    I'm running into this too! I'm a music director at a church and I have rehearsals on Thursday nights. Last week I brought the pack n play bc he sleeps on his belly better than his back in the car seat. He was out for the entire rehearsal. I'm trying it again tonight!
  • Options
    Yes when I take LO out it turns into an extended nap time. He always sleeps in the car seat or in the stroller and sometimes I even worry that he sleeps too long when we're out and about… I wish he would be awake and looking at what's going on more often to help him with his days and nights
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my lo doesn't always like to sleep when we are out but only bc he wants to look at everything. he's a very curious little thing. i usually give him a bottle until he is good and asleep and then just hold him or put him in the stroller. 
  • Options
    My LO also naps almost the entire time we go out anywhere.  She is 6 weeks old so I'm sure that will change soon.  Starting next week we will start taking DS to preschool along with OT sessions and Bible study - I'm nervous about our busy schedule and it's effect on her sleep.

With DD1 the biggest consequence of being on the go due to big brother's schedule was she dropped to 1 nap at only 4 months.  
  • Options
    My LO tends to nap pretty easily, especially in the stroller or car seat of a moving car. My husband has been known to take him for a walk in the stroller if he is having difficulty sleeping. I also don't try to keep it quiet during nap time. I am more aware of keeping it dark and quiet during night time routine
  • Options
    We got a travel bed from Babiesrus.com - not a pack not play. It folds up to about the size of diaper bag so it's great to just leave in the car. If it helps to get baby used to a new surface, you can have them nap I the new item but in their normal place. If your worried about light, you could probably use a car seat cover or blanket as long as it doesn't droop onto baby.
  • Options
    I also have worship practice on Fridays for church and the last few weeks he sleeps on our way to church but wakes up when we get there and doesn't sleep till we drive home again. I'm taking his stroller, which can lower into a bassinet but still no sleep. I think as they grow they just want to see what's going on around them. He usually gets home tired so he'll sleep for a long while. We'll see today if he sleeps through if not he'll have to practice with mommy! :)