February 2016 Moms
Options

Blended Family Advice

So I have a 6 year old stepdaughter. I have been in her life since she was 2 and while things were very rocky at first with her mom I think he have hit a really good point now. We don't have her very often; usually Wed. afternoon and every other weekend plus exchanged holidays and 3 nonconsecutive weeks over the summer. Well, as our boys get older (and we add to the family) I really have started noticing that DH is way harder on our boys than he is on his daughter. I would assume this is because she isn't always with us. She used to be this picture perfect kid because DH was kind of the only one parenting, but now she spends most of her time with mom and mom doesn't have many rules at all. Now it seems like when she does something she knows she shouldn't be doing at our house I'm usually the one to get on to her about it (talk about a wicked stepmom). DH says I'm really hard on her and not at all on the boys; I feel like he's the opposite. Any advice for how to balance this blended family? I don't want her to grow to hate me or feel like I'm always getting on to her for something, but I do want her to follow the house rules.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Blended Family Advice

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Family counseling?
  • Options
    Hmm, it really seems like you guys need to sit down and talk about your expectations and set specific standards of behavior that every kid needs to be held to. And make sure you discuss what sort of discipline you're both comfortable with for each child, and then be VERY consistent. I can't imagine how hard it is to only parent a kid part time, especially if the other parent is more lax than you. But whatever her mom is doing, you and her dad need to be on the same page about how to handle her and the boys so that things are as fair as possible. Healthy boundaries are good for kids and she'll probably be more comfortable (even if she doesn't act like it) knowing what she can and can't do, and knowing exactly what to expect from you guys.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Counseling was something that helped me and my family out. Me and my husband also make sure that we have open communication and that we are on the same page when it comes to disciplining the kids. Blended families can be a struggle sometimes but there are ways to make it work so the transition is a lot easier.
  • Options
    I'd also second the counseling option. Otherwise do you think it plays into the idea that fathers are softies when it comes to their daughters?
  • Options
    I come from a blended family, and while I was the kid, not the parent, family counseling made a world of difference for us.

Happy October :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Emmett Austin Langford, born sleeping 2.25.15

"Once you are Real you can't become unreal again.  It lasts for always." 
    || The Velveteen Rabbit ||

>>> BFP 6.6.15, Rainbow due 2.6.15! <<<
    >>We are Team Pink!<<

I write over at Grace In Chaos.
  • Options
    And try to get her mom on the same page, or at least communicate between the three of you, what the expectations are for discipline, etc.

Happy October :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Emmett Austin Langford, born sleeping 2.25.15

"Once you are Real you can't become unreal again.  It lasts for always." 
    || The Velveteen Rabbit ||

>>> BFP 6.6.15, Rainbow due 2.6.15! <<<
    >>We are Team Pink!<<

I write over at Grace In Chaos.
  • Options
    Don't parent a child that isn't yours would be my advice. 

Don't want to sound harsh but I don't think it's your place. 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have two step sons and a DD on the way. I cant really give that much advise because my situation with the kids mom is weird. As crazy as it sounds she is pretty much a good friend to me. She always tells me to correct the boys if they arent using their manners or acting the proper way. I may say things to them about that in a nice way, but any bigger issues I speak to DH about and Their mom and they handle them. She also includes me in everything with the kids. Most people side eye our relationship but it works for us. Maybe you all should sit down and talk about rules, expectations and try to implement them in both households. The more consistent it is for the kids the better they seem to respond. Good luck sweetie!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I don't have any personal parenting experience in this, but a friend of mine has a teenage stepdaughter that lives with them part-time, and she can be very difficult.  When she lives with them, they enforce rules equally, and the stepdaughter is expected to adhere to the same rules as the other children.  I think it is important to remember that children need to learn how to respect adults regardless of whether they are a biological parent, a teacher, stepparent, friend's parent, or other person responsible for the child's care, period.  

I'm not sure why this post was revived or if the OP has gotten the help she needs, but I agree with others that counseling can do wonders, as can family meetings and strict boundaries and set rules.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    hlmdeck said:

__________________quote fail___________________________

Step-parents are parents too.. its in the title. By marrying the father, there is a responsibility and commitment to the child too, which includes parenting.

Regardless, house rules are house rules whether its your kid, you husband's kid, or a neighborhood kid. These are the rules and expectations, and while you are here you follow them. The rules at friends' houses growing up were different than my house but I still knew how to follow them, and she can know that things are different with dad than with mom. Consistency between dad and step-mom would probably help, just like with any parenting. PP mentioned family counseling can work wonders!

Nope - disagree. Step parents CAN be parents if they're birth parent isn't in the picture or it's just their family dynamic but you don't get the privilege of being a parent just because you marry into a family. This little girl seems to have a mother and father who are involved- I think OP has every right to discuss her issues with her husband and yes, consistency, would help... but she doesn't have a right to parent another person's child. I also think- in some cases, not all-- referring to someone as your "step-mom" is disrespectful to your real mom. It's not true in all cases... but my dad got remarried when I was about 10. I had a mom. I wasn't going to allow that title to go to anyone else. 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Umm that child is a part of their family and, as other posters have pointed out, it's in the name- step PARENT. All kids in the household should be held to the same standards and both parents should be able to enforce those standards no matter who the child belongs to biologically. When they're this young, kids need consistency and equality.
    I think all the kids need the same rules- I agree with that. But marrying into a family does not make you a parent. In some families, it works that way-- but in others, it's stepping over a line. It depends on the situation. In this case, it sounds like OP needs to have a talk with her husband and get him to enforce the rules with his daughter. But, it's going to create a lot of strife and drama to have her do it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @inomniaparatus - in what cases would the term "step-mom" be disrespectful to the biological mother? She isn't replacing your biological mother in any way unless you as the child choose (if you have that sort of relationship - I've known kids who have no relationship with their biological mothers, so the step-mother has become the one mother to them, and in that case they call her mom, not step-mom).

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree because just like you think I'm wrong, I also think you are very wrong.

So be it...

I don't believe "mother" should be a title given to a woman who marries into a family unless they are really fulfilling the mother roll. If the girl has a mother, she doesn't need another. It's up to mom and dad to discipline and decide how she should be raised. Not some other woman.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

If something happens to me or for some reason my husband and I aren't together, I hope the woman he marries will be willing to step up to her role as stepmother and treat my kids well and treat them like they are her kids, not her husband's children that she has no influence over and doesn't care what they do because it "isn't her place."

This isn't just some woman randomly living in the same house as my children. It's a new member of the family.

I smell a movie plot ... It should star Julia Roberts

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Beautifully said @NoelBird.  =D>
  • Options
    My "step father" has been 150% more of a father figure than the worthless man who provided the sperm for me to exist in this world. My "step father" is my father. And he did a damn good job raising me. I hope to provide the life for my child that he and my mother did for me.
  • Options
    cbou said:

We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree because just like you think I'm wrong, I also think you are very wrong.

So be it...

I don't believe "mother" should be a title given to a woman who marries into a family unless they are really fulfilling the mother roll. If the girl has a mother, she doesn't need another. It's up to mom and dad to discipline and decide how she should be raised. Not some other woman.

I think it is insulting to say that stepparents aren't parents. This may be true in some cases, but in many many cases the stepparents are just as (if not more) involved in the children's lives than their biological parent. If they are married to a biological parent and regularly feeding, clothing, disciplining, loving, and nurturing that child in their home and taking care of the child when it is sick or upset then they deserve the title and respect of being a parent.

I don't understand the problem with the word - what about grandparents, godparents, or adoptive parents? Do we also need new titles for these? I just honestly don't know where you are coming from on this.

@camusoh2011 - I'm glad that things are going well! It sounds like that little girl and her mother are lucky to have you in their lives!
    I also said in some cases I understand, but not all - especially when two parents are very much in the picture.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2015

My "step father" has been 150% more of a father figure than the worthless man who provided the sperm for me to exist in this world. My "step father" is my father. And he did a damn good job raising me. I hope to provide the life for my child that he and my mother did for me.

This is great but has nothing to do with what I said. Your birth father wasn't a "father figure" so someone else was. I clearly said every family is different... But if I was a child's mother- and very involved- I wouldn't want another woman parenting my child like they were another parent. That woman would need to respect the rules that her father and I had agreed upon and I'd expect him to discipline our child. That doesn't mean she can't feed my child (whoever said that was ridiculous)... I'd expect my child to be taken care of and be made to feel safe in the extent that a grandparent, friend or babysitter watching my child would. Not act like a mother or father in that they have the right to send my child to bed early, take away privileges, etc. If that child misbehaves, she should let her mother and father know and let them decide the proper punishment.
    It's different when a step parent is in your life from the very start and/or is the only mother or father figure you know. But, when a mother is dropping her daughter off for a weekend with her dad- Id expect that "step-mother" would respect our rules and my role as her parent.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Achae said:

That sounds like the perfect recipe to raise a spoiled child that doesn't respect others. A grandparent can't send a kid to bed early? Wow. Good luck with your child rearing...

Good luck with yours too! Thanks :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well, I had many times at the beginning of our family where I felt like I shouldn't or couldn't step in and be a parent, but especially with other kids in the house, the effort to make sure that my stepdaughter sees herself as a true member of the family means I am A parent to her. She has told people this from day one. She's always been understanding that she has her mom and dad and I am not either of them. I am someone who chose to love her as my own. How lucky can a kid be to have (in her case) now 4 parents instead of just two rooting for them and backing them 100%. 

@inomniaparatus, you're right we'll just have to disagree here because I fully believe that saying I am not a parent to her is offensive. It's incredibly ignorant to say that a title with "parent" in it should offend mom or dad, but those instances have already been pointed out to you. Unless you are willing to share your personal experience with blended families, I might suggest that you not comment on a topic you know nothing about. But hey, that's just my opinion.
    If she considers you like a parent and her mom and dad both agree you should be treated as such- then you are. I know if I was a mom and I was dropping my child off at her dad's house for the weekend, I'd expect the "step mother" to come to me or her father before taking the disciplining on herself. But, not all families operate this way. I understand that. 

My parents separated and divorced when I was around 5. My dad eventually remarried and had a baby with his new wife. By the time my brother came around, I was already 13 so house rules/equality between my brother and I didn't really apply. But, just remember for that little girl to only be with her dad only part of the time... while he's a full-time dad to other kids can be painful for her. So, before being too hard on her- I'd take that into consideration. I remember feeling like my dad had a new family and I was just baggage sometimes... an obligation. You probably already are- but I'd make her feel as welcome as you can when she comes over and make sure you're sharing in fun times, making happy memories rather than punishing her for acting out. It may be why her dad is taking it a little easier on her too. She can probably use a softer hand and more compassion than worrying so much about enforcing house rules, etc. It's probably upsetting for her- even if she can't articulate it yet. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    AdventureMamaAdventureMama member
    edited September 2015
    I think what would be more upsetting for a child is going to her dad and stepmoms' house, even if it's only part time, and being treated like an "other." As "dad's kid" and not just one of the kids. Different standards and rules shouldn't apply to different kids (although I can agree this is complicated, and there are definitely exceptions- like a 13 year age difference between children).

Blended families are complicated. But most of the time it seems like they work best when a family can operate as a unit- parents and kids, a family. Making distinctions and having restrictions on what the stepparent can do seems like a recipe for disaster. Now I agree that if both bio parents are involved, the stepparent does have an obligation to respect their wishes for what they want for their child. But they should have a say, yes, and if the children are young and close in age, they should have the full rights to fulfill ALL roles required of a parent when that child is in their care- and that includes some discipline.

Edited to fix a word
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

Agkathy said:
    @inomniaparatus first and foremost thank you for sharing your experience and the child's possible perspective so we can all understand her view. But I think this transcends to more then just how that child might feel . OP expresses concerns on her husbands lack of understanding how his actions towards one child might affect the other children in the house hold and her. His lack of receptiveness to her concern in their own household regarding the children will create an environment for resentment . The other children will notice and OP will continue to feel uncomfortable and hurt if they don't enforce universal household rules for all the children equally. He has no right to show favoritism towards one due to circumstances out of his other children's hands or OP's. Rules are rules , where-ever we go. If I visit the library I adhere to their rules. If my child is in a teachers classroom they are expected to follow their rules and have consequences for not doing so and I cant get upset as a parent. (unless its extreme but thats another scenario) This is the same for a child visiting in a step parents home. Respect and follow the rules and then there will be time to do the extra stuff that makes all the children involved feel special ,love and wanted. Hubby needs to get on board regarding treating everybody the same.
    I 100% agree with all of this... I think it's up to her husband to see this through and make the change though. I think it definitely warrants a serious talk. I think it will just cause problems if it comes directly from her instead of from him. It's like dealing with in-laws. I leave that to my husband. I express concerns to him, and it's his family, so he does the dirty work- not me. But, every family is different- I understand some step-parents have a bigger role depending on circumstances. 

Pregnancy Ticker