August 2015 Moms
Options

Nexplanon vs Mirena?

Trying to decide which to use. I'm EBF. Used the mini pill after I had DS (2 yrs ago) and it did not work for me. Now after DD I'm looking for something a little more reliable and long term. Wondering what kind of experiences/recommendations any of you ladies had/have with either of these BCs? Thanks!

Re: Nexplanon vs Mirena?

• Options
    Mirena gave me cancer. I heard the other was painful too. I won't use either
  • Options
    Yikes! Not what I was expecting to hear but good to know! Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had Mirena for 4 years and loved every minute and I plan on getting it again. There are a lot of horror stories out there but that is with any form of birth control.

Me: 25 DH: 27

Married: April 25th, 2014

DD #1: August 20th, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mirena caused me horrible bv infections and yeast infections.
  • Options
    I will never attempt the IUD ever again. I will spare you the horrible details.

I will be going with the implanon this time around.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ugh I forgot about BC again until now. My PP appointment is Monday with my doctor and I know they will be talking to me about what to use. I have never used BC before in my life and reall dont want to, but I would kick myself if I had irish twins. Im struggling enougj with this new mom gig, God help the LOs if I had another that quickly.
  • Options
    I had the implant that goes in the skin for three years. It was great. I plan on using that.
  • Options
    I had implanon - same sort of arm implant as nexplanon. Had to have it removed a year early as I had on and off random heavy periods for two years and horrible mood swings with crazy crying bouts. I tried to stick it out but after two years enough was enough. I am considering the IUD but with so many horror stories I'm not sure.
  • Options
    I had mirena for 3 years and I loved it. I never had a period for 3 years!
  • Options
    diesel115 said:

I had implanon - same sort of arm implant as nexplanon. Had to have it removed a year early as I had on and off random heavy periods for two years and horrible mood swings with crazy crying bouts. I tried to stick it out but after two years enough was enough. I am considering the IUD but with so many horror stories I'm not sure.

This exactly. I would not go with another IUD if it meant I had to be pregnant the rest of my life..
  • Options
    I have had both.
    I loved the Mirena but the strings attached literally scratched my boyfriend every single time we had sex. Then to top it off my Mirena retracted into my uterus and had to be surgically removed. Luckily I caught it early enough it didn't implant.

Nexplanon was what I went to after the Mirena was removed and I loved it. Had it taken out in August of last year and found out late November we were pregnant.

I'm having the nexplanon reinserted at my next apt. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    I had the implanon and it caused mood swings and I had more arthritis flare ups, it killed my sex drive too.

Im not a fan of iud's either , since I tend to get all sideeffects with BC I know I'll be one of those horror stories. Since I don't see sex in my near future since SO and I are separated, I have some time to think about it. I wanted my tubes tied but after DS having respiratory issues after labor I wasn't thinking about that.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the info! Looks like I might just go back on the mini pill....neither of the iud or implant sound worth it. If I get pregnant again, it was just meant to be!