August 2015 Moms
Options

Weaning from nipple shield

Ds is 12 days old. Been using nipple shield since day 1 for flat nipples. Would love to ditch the shield. Any success stories or tips that worked for you?

Re: Weaning from nipple shield

• Options
    Pumping brought out the nipple for me. I used a nipple shield for a short time on my right side. Just keep trying. Your LO will also help bring the nipples out. It's not easy. My LO would try for 15-20 min to latch on my right side but we wouldn't quit. GL!
  • Options
    I have the same issue and would also love to ditch the nipple shield! We only try when he is hungry but patient (not screaming). If he is all worked up I just use the shield. I find the successful shield-free sessions happen when he is awake, alert and just starting to show signs of hunger. My LO is 15 days old and we have had about 4 days of hit and miss shield-free feedings. It's certainly a process! It also helps when I stimulate the nipple for a short time before trying to get him to latch so it pops out at least a little bit. Hang in there, I'm certainly hoping it gets easier!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been using the nipple shield for almost five weeks. I am finding it easier now to get DS to latch without it. I always offer my nipple first. I can usually get him to latch on but he doesn't stay latched the entire time and sometimes we have to resort to the nipple shield. Just keep trying and offer your nipple first. I plan on seeing a LC when I go in for my PP check up. Good luck mama!
  • Options
    I had success by alternating feeds with/without. Baby could latch ok, but it was excruciating so I started with the shield every feed. Then I worked up to doing a shield free feed each day. At the beginning I could only tolerate one 'nude' feed per day, then in time I could do two, then by maybe 4 months I was doing every second feed without it. I had to tweak the nipple a bit before to make it 'pointy' so she had something to latch onto. Pumping first for a minute or two is a good idea if your boobs are engorged and the nipple is a bit flattened. By 6 months I ditched the shield altogether and went on to BF Easily til 20 months. Good luck!