Breastfeeding
Options

Won't settle

my baby sleeps fine in the day after a feed but at night time he just won't settle in his basket at all. He feeds for 2 hours at a time then falls sleep on me. I lay him down and he then wakes up. I feel like I'm at my wits end! Any ideas?

Re: Won't settle

• Options
    No help here just empathy!! Ours won't sleep in crib, even if he's exhausted and been asleep on me or my husband, it's like the crib is made of pins!! The second he gets lowered in, it's time for crying and screaming. He'll hang out in there for tummy time etc but not to sleep! Goes right out if we put him to bed in the rock n play but getting him used to the crib had been heartbreaking . Try having your partner be the one to put him down, mine will let him do it more than me (in general for naps and stuff), I think it's the milk smell that makes them more clingy to mom when sleeping. How old is he? I had a hard time getting him to nap anywhere but on me during growth spurts and before 3ish months. Good luck!
  • Options
    He's only 5 days old. He sleeps fine in it in the day, just at night doesn't seem to want to and seems like he just wants to cluster feed which I'm ok with just not for 7 hours a night. He's using me for the comfort so I know he's full. I'm trying the laying down breast feeding but so scared when he's fed that I'll fall asleep so still in the same position of needing him in his crib. Everyone just says oooo yes they do want to be close to you - I know but what's the solution!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He's still so little and new to the world, it's super hard I know, but for a while it's just going to be about comfort and working around whatever he wants. Cluster feeding is exhausting but he's just in constant need of comfort. They call the first 2 months the "4th trimester" because it's all about keeping them comforted and womb-like, alive and happy by means of your body :) just be patient and you'll find the keys to making him calm, it's all trial and error and he'll fall into a routine in a month or two. Just re read that he feeds for 2 hrs, that's a long time, I'd reach out to a lactatation consultant for advise, and I bet when his nursing gets on track the sleeping habits may with it! Contact your hospital or La Leche League. Best of luck! It'll all be fine!
  • Options
    Ps what's he sleeping in? We use a rock n play by the bed. Do you have a Boppy? Ours slept a lot in there as an infant too. They definitely want to be in a cozy place more than a big open crib, more womblike
  • Options
    He's in a small crib. I'm in the UK, not sure what a rock n play is. My LC said I'm doing fine so it sounds like it's just finding what works for both of us
  • Options
    Gotcha, it's just an inclined bassinet that rocks back and forth. Glad you talked to lc already! Good luck!