April 2016 Moms
Options

Any vegan moms?

I've been a vegan since March. I'm really struggling right now to eat well. Although, I will say that it's much easier to follow "the pregnancy eating rules" this time around. I feel super lazy and uninspired. If you are vegan, what are some quick and easy snacks or meals that you are enjoying right now.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any vegan moms?

• Options
    im not vegan, but vegetarian. I have been snacking on nuts, and also homemade yogurt parfait with fruits and granola (you can use coconut yogurt).
  • Options
    Oh yea I need to find coconut yogurt!
    Thanks.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Vegetarian here....I've been eating a lot of fruit
  • Options
    I'm definitely not vegan, but I eat a lot of nuts. Also, graham crackers with peanut butter or whole wheat toast with peanut butter. I am completely turned off by veggies at this point, but I still try to eat a good amount of fruit. You can also do fruit smoothies and throw in some spinach/other greens. Maybe zoodles? I am really turning to pasta and carbs a lot because of the nausea, but I love to cover mine in cheese so that's not very helpful for you haha
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Also maybe fresh salsa and/or guac with whole grain chips?
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    All great suggestions. Thank you!

• Options
    mgm84mgm84 member
    edited August 2015
    Second vegan pregnancy for me. I'm eating lots of veggies - grilled, in salads, vegan Mac and cheese with cauliflower/carrot/nutritional yeast/cashew cheese, cauliflower fettuccine (instead of Alfredo sauce - cauliflower and nutritional yeast base), falafel, hummus, pita, etc. oh and some junk food snacks and chocolate :)

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• Options
    I'm not 100% vegan as I still eat honey. I eat a lot of veggies and hummus, falafel, toast with PB, almond yogurt, smoothies, raw nuts.
    I also make a ton of plain air popped popcorn for snacking when I'm nauseous.
  • Options
    I'm not vegan, but my mother's household is. I'll ask her for some tips, and repost later. I know they eat a lot of bagels with peanut or almond butter though. (Dancer family)
  • Options
    I have been a vegan for a few years and this is my first pregnancy; I've been craving Mexican food so made a lot of Mexican crockpot dishes I also like 100%fruit popcicles because they help with morning sickness and I bought vegan popcorn and added my own spices
  • Options
    I had falafel yesterday and homemade pizza tonight. It is challenging but morning smoothies really help!! This am I am having red river cereal with hemp hearts and fruit.
  • Options
    I think I need to get some more easy foods. Cereal sounds good.

• Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited September 2015
    My husband makes amazing veggie burgers, usually in double batches so we freeze a ton. This makes it easy, when hungry or ready for dinner just defrost it, grill it for a few mins and voila, delicious and nutritious vegan meals.

This is the recipe of one of the burgers: https://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/ (except that we use white beans rather than black for personal preference). The good thing about this burger recipe is that you can actually eat it raw if you want (it's delicious anyways) or throw the final mix on a frying pan an make a quick veggie scramble. Couldn't be more versatile.

(BTW the above website and homonimous cookbook have amazing vegan recipes including several snack recipes. We have made several and were never disappointed. Browse on!) 

The other burger he makes is a lentil spinach burger, also amazing,  but I am not sure where he got the recipe. I will ask him.
  • Options
    Not vegan but I'm lactose intolerant and had a meat aversion last pregnancy. I ate chicken once in the 7 months I had the aversion. I ate a lot of coconut based dairy (coconut milk in smoothies, coconut yogurt) and sooo much Mexican food using beans and guac. I also ate my weight in baked falafel. My lazy food was anything with almond/peanut butter. I got really low iron because I was soooooo Barfy I couldn't take prenatals. I tracked my nutrition in a food app.
    I'm not a fan but my vegan coworker swears by pumpkin seed butter (not entirely sure if that's the same as pepita butter).
  • Options
    Brown rice,stir fry veggies w/tofu......so gooood
  • Options
    Thanks!! I love a good veggie burger!

• Options
    I will second the Oh She Glows site and cookbook that @thaisac1 mentioned. Not vegan but we still cook from those recipes because they're super yummy and packed with goodness!
  • Options
    The Big Vegan cookbook is my all time favorite. I have the Oh She Glows and it's ok. Apparently the Caesar salad is amazing but every time I go to make it I forget that I have to soak nuts first.
  • Options
    I am vegan except for eating eggs from my own chickens. Though, since being pregnant, I've had an egg aversion. And, unfortunately, complete intolerance of veggies/ salads. So, not the healthiest, but I've been eating a high protein cereal with almond milk, rice and beans with tortillas, baked potatoes with cashew cheese, and a lot of chocolate coconut milk. I plan to start making smoothies when I get home from traveling so I can sneak more healthy greens into my body. So happy you started this thread and I can connect with some vegan mamas to be!!
  • Options
    Wayemk said:
    I am vegan except for eating eggs from my own chickens. Though, since being pregnant, I've had an egg aversion. And, unfortunately, complete intolerance of veggies/ salads. So, not the healthiest, but I've been eating a high protein cereal with almond milk, rice and beans with tortillas, baked potatoes with cashew cheese, and a lot of chocolate coconut milk. I plan to start making smoothies when I get home from traveling so I can sneak more healthy greens into my body. So happy you started this thread and I can connect with some vegan mamas to be!!
    Ah yes! I had the intolerance to salads in week 5. How discouraging! I had a smoothie this morning and put my prenatal vitamins in it. I don't know if that is what went wrong, but I felt quite ill afterwards. Rice and beans sounds great!