December 2015 Moms

1 hour glucose test

im having my test done today at 3pm...she told me not to fast but I'm wondering if I should watch my carb/sugar intake as to not have any unnecessary spikes in my blood sugar or affect the test negatively...
What's your opinions/thoughts on the process?

Re: 1 hour glucose test

• I was given a list of what was safe to eat before the test. Your OB should have advised you on this. I would call the office in the morning and ask what to eat before your test.
  • I'm having a morning test but my instructions said a high protein breakfast (like eggs) was fine. My husband lost my instruction sheet, so I looked online to try to double check and came across some other office's instructions that just said to fast two hours before the test.
    I agree with calling the office in the morning to confirm your instructions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks yeah I have no idea why she never instructed me on what to do...I even had to ask her if I should fast or not, you'd think they'd be more instructional about what needs to be done...
  • Definitely ask. I've known women who failed their tests and had to do repeats because no one told them not to eat (or what they could eat) before the test.
    That glucola is too gross to drink twice if you can avoid it.
  • The instructions on my drink said nothing to eat one hour before I drink the glucola, then nothing to eat and only water after I drink it.
  • I had eggs scrambled with spinach, ham and cottage cheese. I didnt have to fast at all but was basically told to avoid carbs and sugars that morning so I didnt get a false positive. I passed with "flying colors" :)
  • My doctor told me "you don't need to fast and don't let anyone tell you do". I guess every doctor is different. He did say that I may not want to eat a huge pasta dinner the night before though. I think I'll stick with lean protein and veggies the day before the test.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctors office gave me the drink, with instructions that a light meal was okay before the test, and said to drink the drink and head to the lab about 30-40 minutes after for blood work. No fasting, no restrictions...nothing.
  • Can you switch to a morning apt? I guarantee they'll tell you they you'll have to eat only protein... And the earlier you do it, the less work it is for you to monitor your foods and less chance of accidentally eating something that will get a false positive.
  • I have a morning test so I plan on getting up, skipping breakfast, taking the test, then eating a nice lunch. My OB said I could eat just nothing sugary. I'm worried I'll mess up though so I just decided to play it safe and skip breakfast.
  • I have to go in a week before my next appointment and that's all of the information they told me. My handy dandy little issued preg book says to eat dinner and breakfast like I normally would? Am I reading this wrong? So should I fast and go in as soon as the lab opens at 8am or eat normally and do it at noon? Why didn't they tell me these things!!!
  • My doctor told me just nothing sugary, but I would avoid carbs as well. I didn't when I had lunch right before, and was just above the cutoff line even though I was still technically within the "normal" range. So I ended up having to go in for the three hour test.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• My doc said it isn't a fasting test, so I wouldn't have to fast, but to avoid having something like a big bowl of pasta for dinner or a bowl of sugary cereal for breakfast. I'll probably just avoid carbs for dinner and wait to eat breakfast afterwards, since my appointment is first thing in the morning. Never be afraid to call your doc and ask questions though!
  • My doctor schedules the diabetes tests for first thing in the morning as says not to eat anything in the morning. My appointment is at 8 a.m. so it shouldn't be to hard. SO and I have already planned a Waffle House date for after.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ate breakfast at 8 am and had the test at 11:45 and I passed with flying colors.

My doctor just said don't eat anything after breakfast and take the test around lunch.
  • It's weird that so many doctors have such different criteria for this. How do they keep it accurate is what I'd like to know. Even my doctor does a 2 hour test instead of a 1 hour test and I am to fast before it - nothing but water before or during. Thank goodness that DD is in preschool that day.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had my appointment at 9:45 for my glucose test. My doctor told me to eat breakfast; just to avoid sugar. I ate scrambled eggs and leftover steak from dinner the night before with water. I ate that st 8:00 and didn't eat or drink anything after drinking glucola and I passed just fine.
  • I have mine in a few weeks. She said eating breakfast is okay, but to avoid anything with sugar (other than the glucose of course) 3 hours before the test. I'll be doing the test in early afternoon.
  • My little book just said to eat a normal breakfast. I was thinking of skipping breakfast anyways because my appointment is at 8AM and I'll probably be rushing to make it there on time anyways. 
  • I ate crackers and water... Almost EVERYTHING I thought about for breakfast has sugar in it, so I just felt safer completely staying away from that but still having something on my belly. I made sure to schedule my app super early too so I wouldn't be starving.
  • Strange that doctors have such differences in instruction! I wasn't told anything other than I didn't have to fast (this was for 1hr glucose tolerance).
    I ate a bowl of oatmeal, had a cup of coffee, got to my docs office and drank the drink about an hour later with my blood draw exactly an hour after that. I passed with flying colors.
    Also, I was told no drinking or eating anything (including water) while waiting the hour for the blood draw.
  • Took mine today and passed, my appointment was at 9 and I had eggs and cottage cheese around 730. I would avoid carbs and sugar before so no cereal. Also, the drink wasn't that bad, I was scared it was going to be super gross. Just tasted like orange Popsicle flavoring.
  • Lurking from August- they never told me when I was taking my test, so it happened to be the day I ate a sleeve of Oreos for breakfast. Still passed my test, somehow.

But call the office and ask them for sure. You don't want to get a false positive if you don't have to.
  • I also had a first appointment test so fasted except for water. The Glucose wasn't that bad for me. Like orange Kool-Aid.
  • I ate french toast with bacon and a lightly sweetened iced tea less than two hours before my test and passed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • There is a standard, so I'm not sure why some doctors don't follow it. The 1 hr is not a fasting test. Eat a high protein breakfast that morning and avoid excess sugar/carbs until you drink the drink.
  • Whovian84Whovian84 member
    edited September 2015
    I don't know if anyone finds this helpful, but here is a link to the government's NIH website with info about glucose screening : https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007562.htm

The info is accredited by URAC, so I would consider it reliable. Perhaps the dietary restrictions mentioned by PPs are for those patients who have demographic and genetic factors that make them more high risk for GD?
  • Thanks @Whovian84 for that link! Makes me feel better about my ob office a little. Sometimes the place can feel a little "who's on 1st." So when the girl at the front desk gave me my drink & no instructions about what to eat/drink beforehand & then seemed very laissez faire about it "just like, eat some toast or something." I wasn't very confident. But at least now I know this is normal. I'm still watching my sugar beforehand though, just in case, I do NOT want to do the 3 hour of I don't have to!
  • By the way, A half hour after I drank the drink I felt light headed and tired and just wanted to lie on the floor. Apparently that is fairly normal, so just be prepared! I also crashed three hours later and had to lay my head down at work for awhile.
    Me: 33, DH: 32  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
  • I had my 1 hour glucose test this morning before my appointment and I had to fast 2 hours before the test. I was only allowed to drink water before the test and nothing in between.
    Just curious, I keep hearing about how nasty the glucose drink is and how it taste like orange popsicle. Has anyone else had a different flavor? I've had one before and it was lemonade flavor. This one was exactly the same, lemonade. And it tasted good lol
  • I have my test at the start of October at 8am and was told I can't eat anything past midnight the night before, I'm gonna find it hard as I get really nauseous still if I don't eat regular
  • LMJL said:

Thanks @Whovian84 for that link! Makes me feel better about my ob office a little. Sometimes the place can feel a little "who's on 1st." So when the girl at the front desk gave me my drink & no instructions about what to eat/drink beforehand & then seemed very laissez faire about it "just like, eat some toast or something." I wasn't very confident. But at least now I know this is normal. I'm still watching my sugar beforehand though, just in case, I do NOT want to do the 3 hour of I don't have to!

I had my test yesterday and must say halfway through I was also very tired. I didn't nap after the test was completed but I was definitely in bed for the night before my normal "bedtime".
  • I take mine in 2 weeks, I was told to fast two hours prior but stay away from fruits, carbs, really there isn't much you can eat to be safe. I was told eggs and bacon lol
  • I had my 1 hour glucose test this morning before my appointment and I had to fast 2 hours before the test. I was only allowed to drink water before the test and nothing in between. Just curious, I keep hearing about how nasty the glucose drink is and how it taste like orange popsicle. Has anyone else had a different flavor? I've had one before and it was lemonade flavor. This one was exactly the same, lemonade. And it tasted good lol
    When I had mine with DD, it tasted like flat 7-up, so I figure it was a lemon-lime flavor. It wasn't bad.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had my 1 hour glucose test this morning before my appointment and I had to fast 2 hours before the test. I was only allowed to drink water before the test and nothing in between.
    Just curious, I keep hearing about how nasty the glucose drink is and how it taste like orange popsicle. Has anyone else had a different flavor? I've had one before and it was lemonade flavor. This one was exactly the same, lemonade. And it tasted good lol

My doctor told me mine will be lemon-lime and that most people think it tastes ok. fingers crossed that's true for me!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @redfallon ah yes, lemon lime sounds like the flavor I had then lol everyone was staring at me drinking it while they waited for labs it was awkward.
    @breezypip don't worry it's not bad! I would recommend not eating a whole lot afterwards though. The flavor was fine but I don't think it sat well with a full meal for lunch. I didn't get sick it just made my stomach icky for a bit
  • I had my test today and the drink is not at all bad. It was chilled and lemon lime flavor...I definitely started to feel jittery a half hour later...and about 2 hours or so later I was tired. Overall, not a big deal.
  • I didn't think it tasted bad at all. It tasted exactly like flat orange sode, lol. I took it this morning and was told to fast overnight. I get my results tomorrow. Extremely nervous but optimistic I passed!
  • @vashleyhernandez you work in a lab too?! That is awesome!
    Me: 33, DH: 32  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers