3rd Trimester

Refilling Fiji water bottles - am I harming myself/unborn baby?

I have been drinking out of and reusing Fiji water bottles (which are BPA free, so I thought it would be fine) for the last several months so I can easily track how much water I am drinking - I don't love the glass or other plastic you can buy to reuse because they always hold smells like soap or other and some can be hard to clean out properly. I use them for a few days and then get a new one. I may have gone up to 6 or 7 days with one before, but not usually go for less days depending on certain circumstances. Today, someone mentioned to me that I should be avoiding all plastic and should never refill my Fiji water bottle. Of course this got me thinking that I am hurting my baby. She gave me a glass bottle to use going forward, but are there actual studies/problems associated with refilling water bottles that are disposable but also BPA free? 

Re: Refilling Fiji water bottles - am I harming myself/unborn baby?

• You are over thinking it. I used a plastic water bottle through my whole pregnancy with no issues, as do many women
  • I have been drinking out of and reusing Fiji water bottles (which are BPA free, so I thought it would be fine) for the last several months so I can easily track how much water I am drinking - I don't love the glass or other plastic you can buy to reuse because they always hold smells like soap or other and some can be hard to clean out properly. I use them for a few days and then get a new one. I may have gone up to 6 or 7 days with one before, but not usually go for less days depending on certain circumstances. Today, someone mentioned to me that I should be avoiding all plastic and should never refill my Fiji water bottle. Of course this got me thinking that I am hurting my baby. She gave me a glass bottle to use going forward, but are there actual studies/problems associated with refilling water bottles that are disposable but also BPA free? 

Definitely over thinking this. Unless you're microwaving your water in the bottle every time you fill it up, I don't see how this could be remotely dangerous.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry about it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'd honestly be more concerned about the radiation from your cellphone. That's saying something since I think that's a load of baloney as well.

Way to score a free glass bottle though. Those things can be pricey!
  • As long as you're not leaving it in warm places you're fine. Those bottles aren't meant to be reused, so they can grow bacteria. Not saying it will harm you but maybe invest in a reusable bottle. I have several that don't hold any weird smells.
  • Thanks ladies!! Some people love to scare pregnant women! hah. Appreciate your replies :)
  • If you're looking for a great water bottle that doesn't hold smells look into the klean kanteens. I use it everyday and love it they even make baby bottles
  • I use a plastic water bottle and I just rinse it well between refills and if I don't finish all the water I dump and rinse before the next fill up. 
  • Fiji water was recently found to have higher than recommended levels of arsenic (compared to tap water).

Personally, I don't like reusing plastic water bottles (not cleaning them for 6-7 days sounds kind of gross to me).

But if the concern is using plastic containers at all... eh, as long as you're not leaving the bottles in your car in the sun and using them, they should be fine.
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq