September 2015 Moms

Mommas that were induced

Did any of you have a somewhat med-free birth? Or a birth with very few interventions? My whole pregnancy, I was planning on going natural (if I could), laboring in the water/different positions, and going with the flow of things. I'm overdue now and have been scheduled for an induction on Monday. Since my cervix is very unfavorable (extremely far back and barely dilated) I'll be put on pills and then pitocin. Does anyone know if this may affect my birthing process? I'm a little bummed about it. Thank you!

Re: Mommas that were induced

• Both of my boys were induced and I'm betting baby girl will be too. With my first, I was sent to hospital the night before because he was stressed. He was born the next afternoon. My younger son, I got to the hospital at six am and pitocin was started. He was born a little after noon. I elected to have an epidural with both because I'm chicken. Epidural was given too late to kick in with my first, but I only had a cramp in my leg. The birth wasn't bad. I haven't decided with this one, yet. It shouldn't affect your birth plan.
  • Being induced ups your odds of a c section by 50%. So, technically.. That could seriously change your birth plans.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't but I've heard many stories. It's not unheard of for a woman to have a med-free induction. I'd look up positive induction stories on BirthWithoutFear.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was induced and ended up med-free for active labor and delivery, also was a 1/2 on the Bishop scale which I believe wasn't very favorable. Do you have a doula? I was very clear about my priorities during birth, being able to freely move was a big one and I made sure my medical staff knew that. With pitocin they usually have to do continuous fetal monitoring, depending on what type of machinery they have for that you may or may not be allowed in the water. At my hospital they had wireless monitors that were a pain in the butt, but allowed me to move around and get in the shower. You'll also have an IV with pitocin, so that comes with its own issues but again, you can at least move around with it. Also, I was started out with a Foley bulb to get to 4cm before they did pitocin. Definitely ask about your options for induction and do some research if you can.
  • I had induction twice with the gel (similar to the pills) they put the the gels in tho to soften my cervix and then they were going to do the pitocin after but both times all I needed was the gels. They kicked me into active labor and once I started I just went quick. So maybe you won't need the pitocin at all. I had epidurals and still didn't need a c-section either time. I'm sure you'll be fine :) try to do lots of squats or birthing ball the baby hitting your cervix with the gravity will help you dilate quickly and if you opt for an epidural ask them if they'll lay you on your side with this peanut ball thing between your legs. It keeps things moving. They did it with both of my births and I didn't know why at the time but just read about it recently and that peanut ball helps your body mimic the squatting position.
  • Is being overdue the only reason for the induction? I'd refuse an induction until 42 weeks unless there was a complication. Induction does increase your risk of further interventions and cesarean. Not sure where that 2-3% statistic that PP quoted comes from, I've read much higher. Pitocin contractions are a nightmare, most moms can't handle them vs natural contractions and opt for an epidural fairly quickly. If you want to go natural, really consider if the induction is necessary. If it is, all you can do is your best.
  • Bless your heart I was induced three out of four kids now u just don't know till u get in there good luck
  • My doctor won't let you go past 41 weeks. So both my inductions were at 41 weeks. But I never had to end up with pitocin.
  • With natural labor your hormones increase gradually but with induction they are start out unbalanced thus making it more painful (sorry I forgot what two hormones they are.) You could have an unmedicated induced labor but I would really not beat yourself up over if it's too overwhelming because it is much harder.
    I'm going in tomorrow to my doctor to talk about induction. :( I'm in the same boat and I wish it was different.
  • 2-3% came from 3 different doctors. Not everything you read is true!
  • Sorry, 44-67% increase in likelihood of a c section with induction. ;)
  • kanga915 said:

Is being overdue the only reason for the induction? I'd refuse an induction until 42 weeks unless there was a complication. Induction does increase your risk of further interventions and cesarean. Not sure where that 2-3% statistic that PP quoted comes from, I've read much higher. Pitocin contractions are a nightmare, most moms can't handle them vs natural contractions and opt for an epidural fairly quickly. If you want to go natural, really consider if the induction is necessary. If it is, all you can do is your best.

My induction is due to being overdue and not being able to progress. They're giving me this entire week to try to go on my own but if not then I'll be admitted. I'm a little concerned because my mom had the same issue dilating and thinning out and had to have a c section for my brothers and I.
  • I was induced for high blood pressure and severe headache at 35+5.  My cervix was 1cm dilated and thick when we started.  I opted to do the foley bulb induction instead of the cytotec (pills).  The foley bulb was placed at 4pm on Thursday and fell out at 1130pm and I was 4cm 70% effaced.  I opted to wait till 5am to start pitocin so I could sleep.  Pitocin was started at 5 and my OB came in and we decided to break my water at 845.  I had planned on a natural birth but I went from feeling 0 contractions to contracting every 1.5-2 minutes almost instantly.  I was fine with the pain but started getting nauseous with the contractions and decided to get my epidural.  I can be in pain or nauseous but not both, that really sucked!!!  I feel I could have made it a lot farther had I not got so nauseous with my contractions.  At around 1000 they ended up turning off my pitocin because of babies heart rate dropping but they were able to leave it off and I continued to change my cervix.  I did end up with a c/section later in the day due to non-reassuring fetal heart tones, but it had nothing to do with the induction it would have happened even if I had gone into labor on my own (baby had a very puny umbilical cord that was wrapped tightly around his neck causing deep drops in his heart rate that he was not recovering well from).   
  • I was induced with my son August 31st and delivered him med free. 2 hr 20 min labor and for me the contractions were a bit more painful than my daughter's spontaneous labor but the contractions built, they didn't just jump to super painful.
  • I was induced with my son August 31st and delivered him med free. 2 hr 20 min labor and for me the contractions were a bit more painful than my daughter's spontaneous labor but the contractions built, they didn't just jump to super painful.

That's wonderful to hear! Were you confined to a bed most of the time or were you able to get up and move freely?
  • I was induced with my first daughter at 40+6. I was administered oxytocin via an IV. I was already having mild contractions on my own. The IV started off stronger but manageable contractions within the hour. The nurse was able to regulate the level of oxytocin according to how my contractions were progressing. After about 3 hrs they removed the IV as I was in full active labor anf to allow me to move more easily into different positions including squatting and on all fours. After a totalnof 6 hrs my daughter was born. I was not given an epidural and despite major cramps in my back and leg (I had suffered major sciatica throughout the pregnancy) I only felt I needed the epidural for about 10 mins which was when I hit the famous wall that is often talked about where it's mind over matter. 5 mins later my DD was born. I only got one suture so tearing was minimal despite DD being a whopping 3.8 kg and 54cm.
  • My water broke but my contractions were not starting on their own. I tried everything to get it started, walked the halls of the hospital for hours, used the birthing ball, nipple stimulation, and the foley bulb. I really did not like the foley bulb. It was awkward and very uncomfortable and it did not dilate me any more than I already was. I had planned on a natural labor and delivery so I was upset that it wasn't going as planned and kept putting off the pitocin. It was almost 24 hours after my water broke and I still wasn't going into labor on my own so I finally agreed to the pitocin.

The dose started out pretty low so it wasn't too bad and they gradually increased the amount I was receiving. I used the birthing ball to help get through the contractions and focused on breathing through the pain. The worst part of pitocin contractions is that they are so strong and close together that I didn't have time to rest between them.

Eventually my daughter was born and I was able to get through the pain without an epidural or any pain medication. I was really against the pitocin because I wanted a natural childbirth but I know it was the best decision for the health of my daughter and that's really the most important thing.

Best of luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker