August 2015 Moms
Options

DIY newborn pics!

I am by no means a photographer, but I desperately wanted newborn pics of my daughter. I can't take her anywhere bc she's a preemie and I'm just too overprotective! I became impatient this weekend. Lol I did it myself. I want to do it again. Any suggestions on props?!

Re: DIY newborn pics!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am having a friend take some impromptu diy pics of my lo this week as well! Thinking of finding a cute wicker type basket, putting a fluffy blanket inside, and plopping my sleepy baby down amongst the fluff.
  • Options
    sjra1028sjra1028 member
    edited September 2015
    @lisajean07 That's what I want to do!!! I have a beautiful Amish basket I wanted to use, but she went through a growth spurt and I can't use it!!!
  • Options
    I think you're pictures look really great! She's a cutie!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We paid 350 dollars for newborn pictures, ridiculous! I actually took some on my own the other day and they turned out so good!!! Pinterest has tons of great ideas.
  • Options
    I second Pinterest. I've attempted a few times but the turd won't sleep! Might attempt again tomorrow Bc dh will be home to help.
  • Options
    Let some natural light filter in from a window and take close up pictures of her tiny feet and hands. Pick a prop like a special stuffed toy or decorative pillow you can use month after month as a way to compare her size as she grows. 

You may be able to find a photographer willing to come to you. Mine offered that, which is so nice.

She's a doll, you've got some cute shots already. My photographer likes to keep newborns naked with either a diaper cover or a pretty wrap. Swap out headbands/flowers/bows on their heads.Take the photos when they are still milk drunk and content so they are easier to "pose".
  • Options
    Thank you @emmacake08! I downloaded the aviary app to my phone to do the editing. It's been awesome!
    I tried using 1 of her stuffed animals and it's HUGE compared to her. I'm thinking about getting some long necklaces for her to wear and hold in a tutu or something.
  • Options
    KateDerekKateDerek member
    edited September 2015
    I'm a photographer so I did my own for Harper in my basement studio, but it was not easy. She was my hardest client - as I've always felt my kids are. It's tough and I only got a few shots that I liked.

My tips are to pose in front of a window for the natural light, and a blanket can go a long way for a backdrop. I prefer solids and nothing too busy in pattern and I always like simple clothing or none at all.

I also have aviary on my iPhone and it's one of my faves. ;)
  • Options
    @KateDerek I'm so glad I have that app!!! It's amazing! I was able to mimic some of the pics that I had from my son.
    The white blanket I used was mine as a baby, but according to my grandmother my mom didn't use it much. Haha. I thought it was the perfect backdrop! She's absolutely attached to it now!
  • Options
    Your baby is so cute. And I like PicsArt as an editing app.

We did paid for photos, but I had stuff leftover from our wedding that I used for props. I used my garter as a headband for her, and my silk flower hair piece I used in some of the pics as well. Sentimental stuff like that is cool to reuse, I think.
  • Options
    I was going to take pics of DS in the preggy belly cast that my friend did for me. But he didn't fit in there! WTF!

I like the monthly photos people do of the baby in an armchair chair next to a teddy bear as a size comparison. You can use a mini chalk board and your arty drawing skills to write baby's age or the date in a cute font or whatever.

I accidentally took a couple of nice pics of my DD when she was a baby (wasn't really in a good place so was not deliberately trying to do arty photos) loosely wrapped in a pretty striped Aden and anais swaddle on top of a bright cushion. I think plain block colours and backgrounds and/or basic patterns like stripes or spots look great.
  • Options
    @Lizover23 Love it!!!!!!
  • Options
    Beautiful pictures! I may try a few this week
  • Options

These are by means trying to be professional, we were just have some fun with our phone the other day

Look at her hair!!! What a little sweet pea!!
  • Options
    mandymjenkinsmandymjenkins member
    edited September 2015
    Here is what I have done. I suggest natural light as well and a good camera goes a long way too! I have a canon rebel. I also bought a nice portrait lens which is a must have for baby pictures!
  • Options
    White sheet + Instagram filters
  • Options
    We had a photographer come to the house to do DD1's newborn pictures. She brought all of her own props, lighting, camera, etc. It was wonderful! We just did DD2's pictures with her today, but we went to her studio this time. Is there anyone in your area who could come to your home?

Otherwise, think a color them (purples/pinks for girl, blues/greens for boy, etc.) and buy blankets that support your color them to wrap little one in and to place below baby for a background.

Use a beanbag, boppy pillow, and blankets to prop baby the way you want her. The more sleepy baby is, the more "moldable" she will be.

Good luck!