April 2016 Moms
Options

Pasteurized Milk

This might be a dumb question--I bought this sauce (https://www.classico.com/Products/Four Cheese Tomato Cream) without thinking and tonight I read the ingredients. It said nothing about the milk being pasteurized. I assume that for some products this isn't specified, but how do you know when its safe to consume?? Being totally paranoid and type-a right now. Please someone talk me off this ledge haha. Thanks!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Pasteurized Milk

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Most dairy here in the US that is commercially sold is pasteurized. You have to be careful with the homemade artisan, local cheeses and dairy. If it says raw it's not pasteurized.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Pretty much all dairy in the us is pasteurized not sure why they even give that warning any more.
  • Options
    It's not legal to sell or produce unpasteurized dairy in a lot of the US. Mind you I quit buying pasteurized about four months ago, thought I was infertle, and low and behold! Maybe homogenized, pasteurized milk isn't the best for everyone? (Topic for another day)
  • Options
    @mrstrax, haha yep, it was perfectly delivered. He went on to explain how he's got 2 kids and one on the way. It reminded him of how his wife had been during their first..... overly cautious.
  • Options
    cwbarrey said:
    I was ordering wings earlier tonight and they serve house-made blue cheese with them, so I asked the server if it's pasteurized. He said "So your first pregnancy, huh."
    LOL thats amazing. I'm sure I would've said something similar. Its so hard with your first distinguishing between what to worry about and what to ignore. Thank you ladies, you all made me feel loads better!
  • Options
    Just make generally smart decisions and you'll be fine. :-)
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    We use unpasteurized butter but just for cooking now. I went back to off the shelf pasteurized butter after I found out I was pregnant for toast. It tastes so bland that I find I no longer want toast.

A lot of the food restrictions in the U.S. make me raise my eyebrows a smidge since they aren't the same in other countries. That is a topic for another post though.
  • Options
    Yeah I would only worry if it's something you're buying from a local farm or something like that. Anything sold at a grocery store is going to be pasteurized.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Jlnitti80 said:

We use unpasteurized butter but just for cooking now. I went back to off the shelf pasteurized butter after I found out I was pregnant for toast. It tastes so bland that I find I no longer want toast.

A lot of the food restrictions in the U.S. make me raise my eyebrows a smidge since they aren't the same in other countries. That is a topic for another post though.

Oooooh lets start this post! Because in Japan they eat sushi throughout their pregnancies and in many countries such as Australia it's okay to have wine in moderation. Let's move there!
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    @NachosAndPeaches we went to France this summer and during our food tour I thought the guide was going to lose it when we were discussing US food restrictions. Most dairy in France isn't pasteurized, especially not their cheeses, and they don't stop eating dairy while pregnant. She looked completely confused when we moved onto the complete restriction of alcohol including wines. The things you learn while traveling!
  • Options
    We use unpasteurized butter but just for cooking now. I went back to off the shelf pasteurized butter after I found out I was pregnant for toast. It tastes so bland that I find I no longer want toast. A lot of the food restrictions in the U.S. make me raise my eyebrows a smidge since they aren't the same in other countries. That is a topic for another post though.
    Oooooh lets start this post! Because in Japan they eat sushi throughout their pregnancies and in many countries such as Australia it's okay to have wine in moderation. Let's move there!
    I want sushi so bad. I had lox the other day and it was like a gift from above.

Also, I pity the fool who takes my brie away from me.
  • Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    edited September 2015
    @sarahufl @NachosAndPeaches I had sushi about two weeks ago soon after I found out I was pregnant. I avoided the high mercury level ones like mackerel and toro, but I really craved it so I went. I'm still having a glass of wine weekly. Yet, I'm still cautious about cheese made from non pasteurized milk. My logic makes no sense either but if I go have sushi again, I'll pay a good amount of $ again and go to a reputable place so I know the fish was prepared properly.
  • Options

Jlnitti80 said:

One of my close friends is married to an OB, who is also a good friend. He always pours her a glass of wine when we are eating dinner at each other's houses (she's expecting) and their female OB friends from med school are completely comfortable with wine drinking in their own pregnancies, and even order it out when obviously pregnant. (Bc it's just that normal and a non-issue to them) He reassures me all the time that fetal alcohol syndrome doesn't come from a glass of wine. But if you tell some people A glass is okay, they over indulge thinking a tumbler full is okay (it's ONE glass, right?! :P ) or that if one glass is okay then four must be okay too.

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Options
    sarahuflsarahufl member
    edited September 2015

kimey1 said:
    @sarahufl @NachosAndPeaches I had sushi about two weeks ago soon after I found out I was pregnant. I avoided the high mercury level ones like mackerel and toro, but I really craved it so I went. I'm still having a glass of wine weekly. Yet, I'm still cautious about cheese made from non pasteurized milk. My logic makes no sense either but if I go have sushi again, I'll pay a good amount of $ again and go to a reputable place so I know the fish was prepared properly.
    I rarely drink as it is, so giving up booze isn't an issue for me. My OB said sushi is fine in moderation and obviously not the mercury-filled ones :) But I am just being cautious about that. I feel like everyone has their thing :)

Oh, and I still drink coffee and the occasional soda.

• Options
    I drank an occasional glass of wine during my first pregnancy but honestly it wasn't worth it for me. Each time I felt guilty... like what IF this glass has even a teeny, tiny effect on my child? Is it worth it? And I couldn't even drink enough to get a good buzz going... so this time, I probably won't drink at all. 
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Right now the thought of consuming any wine whatsoever makes me sick to my stomach...so I guess I'll cross that bridge when my tummy allows me to haha :) But I think I'd allow myself a glass of champagne or wine at holidays. Otherwise its not worth the stress it brings to me!
  • Options
    On the wine topic - we went to a winery with my in-laws this weekend and I had a small glass (which I didn't even have half of) and got such a massive headache! Has this happened to anyone else? The last time I had alcohol was a few days before I got my BFP and the same thing happened. It's like an instant migraine. So awful. Each time, I felt like someone hit me on the head as if to say "Don't drink!" Haha. It's amazing how smart our bodies are though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @itsbee It wasn't wine but I had the same reaction when I smelt any type of cigar or cigarette smoke. It felt likea needle went through one temple to the other! That's your baby saying no to wine :)
  • Options
    I grew up on a farm, and we literally had a cow named Bessie that my father milked by hand every morning, which I know sounds like a cliche. We had raw milk everyday, and not to rain on the "U.S. food restrictions are ridiculous" parade, but one time I got sick and I cannot even describe HOW SICK I got. Most if it would be unprintable. It required hospitalization and weeks of school missed. It was no joke. Listeria is one of the bacteria that infest raw milk, and we're all smart, informed adults who know the immense harm that it can cause to a fetus. I don't worry about it in the U.S. because all dairy and dairy products are pasteurized here, but it is something I'll be aware of when I'm traveling in Europe next month. My family is European and generally more relaxed about pregnancy, so I've always noticed that my aunts and cousins didn't follow most of the food restrictions advocated here in the U.S., so I think it's a personal choice. Personally, after seeing CUCUMBERS on a list of "foods you might want to avoid while pregnant," I just rolled my eyes and decided I would apply basic common sense. As for sushi, it's easy to avoid fish that has high mercury contamination, but it's less obvious if the raw fish you're about to ingest has a harmful parasite or bacteria, which is always possible with uncooked meat or fish. I got food poisoning once from sushi as a student but otherwise have been eating it my entire adult life without incident, so I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll risk it.