May 2016 Moms
Options

Insomnia anyone?

I can't sleep! In tired almost all day and then I'm wired at night. Last night I fell asleep around 11:30 and was up at 3:00am for the day today. I was so exhausted my first trimester with DS so this is new to me. Any natural remedies? I'm weary of taking Unisom although I have read it's safe.

Re: Insomnia anyone?

• Options
    I'm really struggling to sleep as well.. falling asleep is difficult and from 4am onwards I can be awake or toss and turn... I've been doing things like limiting how much I use my computer at night/ watch tv, warm milk and warm showers before bed and if I wake up hungry in the middle of the night that I have something to eat to help get me back to sleep... I also make sure that I don't nap during the day... 

if you find something that works I'd love to know :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Insomnia here - very tired during the day and feeling run down at night, but when I try to go to sleep my mind is racing and it takes forever to fall asleep.  I had insomnia with my daughter at the beginning and end of pregnancy - blah 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard of sleep going either way in the beginning. I've had horrible insomnia ever since my DD was born over 2 years ago! The past couple nights I've fallen asleep in about 60 seconds of laying down. By the time March or April rolls around none of us will be sleeping much ;)
  • Options
    I promise you, if it gets bad enough, you will take anything

You're not alone, although mine has been so insane that I went 3 days without any sleep whatsoever and was finally put on Ambien, which is a class C med... I'm desperately trying to make Unisom work for me, but the last 2 nights, Ambien has been the only thing that worked at all.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    Oh my gosh same here. What is going on???
    I am beyond exhausted at work & school. Any suggestions
  • Options
    Yes, this was one of my first symptoms. And it makes no sense because I'm EXHAUSTED. But when my head hits the pillow, I just can't sleep. It's been taking over an hour. And I'm also waking up in the middle of the night struggling to fall back asleep.

I started to read before bed and that's helped a bit, but not as much as I'd like.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    (one miscarriage @ 12 weeks)
  • Options
    Yes! This is me. Toss and turn all night. I keep thinking I have such a long ways to go. I work full time. My DD is in 3rd grade. She has homework, soccer, and gymnastics. In the evening after all her activities, cooking, cleaning, attempting to work out, I'm exhausted! But falling asleep as been an issue. 
  • Options
    Have you ladies bought a pregnancy pillow yet? I'd been having a super hard time sleeping for a few nights, then I remembered the miracle that is the Snoogle. I busted mine out last night and bam. Sweet, sweet sleep. It's seriously an investment worth making.
  • Options
    Although insomnia stinks it's nice to know I'm not alone! Last night I took half a Unisom at midnight after having a mild fit about not being able to sleep. It was the best night of sleep I've gotten in almost two weeks! It's nice to know I have that as a safe option now. I'm hoping it passes as the weeks go on.
  • Options
    The best part is when my 2yr old son climbs into my bed at midnight while I am just wired. There is nothing like having a tiny human kicking you in the face and head butting your butt while you are fighting mad insomnia. Not fun.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    YES! I miscarried my first pregnancy in May, but I was so wiped out. I couldn't get out of bed hardly. I like to sleep a lot, as it is. I tend to wake up a lot since i'm a super light sleeper. Had crazy insomnia for several days now, and i'll just pop out of bed, which is the total opposite of the dragging myself out of bed that I usually do. Sure enough, got my BFP last night. Elated! But i'll absolutely take this over being wiped out all the time!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    Omg yes! I have been waking up at 5 everyday for a week now and can't seem to fall asleep afterwards... no matter at what time I go to bed. So exhausted. I have a history with bed insomnia; so kinda scared for it to come back. No pregnancy glow in my tired face! Ha
  • Options
    *BAd Insomnia
  • Options
    :(( and now even ambien isn't working... I'm losing it
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    Agree with @kmalls the snoogle is a life saver. DH and our dog actually both love it too. I can't wait to break it out again.
  • Options
    I have insomnia bad too! And I'm just in the beginning and already being uncomfortable when sleeping. My bones get achy :( I've heard it's safe to take unisom, but I feel guilty! Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options

:(( and now even ambien isn't working... I'm losing it

@saladflambe - :( I hope you're able to figure out something that works soon.
  • Options
    I have that issue through all pregnancies.  I definitely sleep better during the day than I do at night.  I try to nap as much as possible throughout the day.  
  • Options
    I have seriously considered going back to working the over night shift and quitting my day job! I am just useless all day and then wired all night. No fun.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Insomnia has always been my first sign of pregnancy! It finally hit me this week! ;;)
  • Options
    I haven't had any problems sleeping until a couple days before I found out I was pregnant. I'm exhausted during the day and night but when I lay down I just can't get to sleep. When I finally do I wake up an hour or 2 later thinking its morning or I wake up from multiple messed up dreams a night. I know vivid dreams are part of pregnancy but I didn't think this early lol. I just wish I could sleep!
  • Options
    So glad to know that I am not the only one. All day at work I am exhausted and I come home and no luck. I may have to try and get a body pillow. I am only 5 weeks and 2 days. Congrats to all the new mommies out there.
  • Options
    Yes. If you don't wanna take anything getting more exercise helps.
  • Options
    I can't sleep either! I'm a stomach sleeper and I'm already finding that uncomfortable because of my sore boobs and bloating. I've been sort of half propping myself up with a body pillow and it has definitely helped as well as keeping graham crackers on my night stand. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    @chelseascottbaby - I'm a stomach sleeper too and i'm finding myself having a terrible time falling asleep and then staying asleep. Do the body pillows help?
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    I'm 5 weeks and 2 days too , and I start having this problem from last week , no matter what time I'm going to bed at 3am I'm awake
  • Options
    Same here! Difficultly falling asleep- and then my eyes pop wide open at least 3 separate times during the night. I am going to ask my OB about chamomile tea
  • Options
    Yes! I too am having these problems with sleeping- not to mention I'm always getting up to go to the bathroom! And that seems to always happen when I'm in the middle of some great sleeping. I was thinking of getting a body pillow as well because I cannot sleep on my stomach anymore and I'm tossing and turning so much!!
  • Options
    My OB prescribed me Diclegis for the morning sickness and it helps me fall asleep because it's the same thing as Unisom. It's been amazing these past few days!
  • Options
    I have a history of insomnia and I can only advise you girls to very careful with meds. I had a slight case of addiction and it took me a year to go back to sleeping without meds. Dangerous stufg
  • Options
    I've noticed the past few days, while I'm tired I have a really hard time falling asleep and when I do I wake up a lot. Still feeling ok and hope it stays that way bc I'm really trying to avoid taking anything.
  • Options
    Now that I see this post and read the replies, I'm wondering if my difficulty falling asleep at night was really my earliest pregnancy sign. I was have a really hard time falling asleep for about a week or so before getting my BFP and I never thought about the correlation until now.

I find myself getting really tired during the day but I'm (frustratingly) unable to nap even when I try. By 8 p.m, I'm crashed!
    Pregnancy Ticker