Re: Meal Plan Monday 8/31

• Options
    Monday: Leftover Chicken Francaise, mashed potatoes and brown sugar carrots

Tuesday: Chicken Parm with spaghetti

Wednesday: Takeout

Thursday: Peach BBQ chicken, creamed spinach, and corn

Friday: Out to Eat or Takeout

Weekend: will be away for a bachelorette

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Monday: Pork Chops

Tuesday: Chicken taquitos

Wednesday: Shredded beef tacos

Thursday: Chicken enchiladas

Friday: out of town

Saturday: Beef and bean burritos

Sunday: Steaks

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sun - We had Chicken Chimi's
    Mon - Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
    Tues - Homemade Mac n Cheese
    Wed. - Sour Cream Porkchops
    Thurs - Pulled Pork w/ Carmelized Onion Sandwiches
    Fri - Meatball Subs
    Sat - Pizza 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Monday: Crockpot Southwest Chicken over rice.

Tuesday: turkey meatloaf and corn on the cob

Wednesday: baked ziti

Thursday: Hot dogs

Friday: Eat out or take out

Saturday: Will be at a concert so amphitheater food
    Pregnancy Ticker

September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall:
  • Options
    Monday: out to eat after dr. Hoping to find out sex!

Tue: chicken cordon blue French bread pizza and salad

Wed: waffles and fruit

Thur: chicken strips and pasta Roni and veggies

Fri: spaghetti and garlic bread and veggies
  • Options
    M: broccoli chicken rice casserole
    T: ham bean soup
    W: salmon and potatoes (roasted or mashed)
    Th: lentil sloppy joes
    F: spaghetti squash casserole

Sa: going to the fair
    Su: homemade pizza

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    M: Spaghetti
    T: Hot dogs with fries & corn on the cob
    W: Turkey pot pie
    Th: French Dips
    F: Cream of Broccoli soup with sourdough bread
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Mmmm @VitaLuna now I want ham bean soup!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    How do so many of you cook everyday? I love cooking but both my husband and I don't get home until 8 or later most nights. How early is everyone getting out of work? Lol. Why are our careers sucking the life out of us? We order seamless most nights because we're too tired and it's too late to start a meal.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

How do so many of you cook everyday? I love cooking but both my husband and I don't get home until 8 or later most nights. How early is everyone getting out of work? Lol. Why are our careers sucking the life out of us? We order seamless most nights because we're too tired and it's too late to start a meal.

This exactly. I don't clock out until 730 after a 12.5 hour day working, DH leaves work at 630 at the earliest, then drives an hour to pick up DD. So, we both get home around 8. No crock pot meal cooks for 14 hours, so that isn't an option for us on days we both work. I can only cook days I am off, and I try to cook two meals that day, so we can have leftovers the next day if we both work. My meal plan this week has been as such:
    Sunday: Wendy's for lunch and dinner after nephews birthday party
    Monday: Turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, green beans at my mom's house while picking up DD.
    Tuesday: Didn't want to go to the grocery store due to recovering from work and a busy weekend. So, maybe spaghetti as that is the only meal in the house.
    Wednesday: We will cross that bridge when we get there.
    Thursday: DH is off, so maybe he will make something!!
    Friday: Same as Wednesday
    Saturday: Maybe we will be at family's house for dinner.
    I love to cook, but a nice dinner with our schedule is not possible and I am exhausted on my days off with a toddler and a growing baby and the paralyzing fear that I could lose this baby like we did the last pregnancy is exhausting. Kudos to all you ladies that keep it together. My weeks look like these menus once a month, maybe.

• Options
    Monday: stuffed shells
    Tuesday: broccoli cheese soup
    Wednesday: pork tacos
    Thursday: fish sticks sounded awesome... Lol
    Friday: baked ziti
  • Options

I purposely chose a job that didn't do that haha. I get out at 4 (my 6-2 shift was my favorite!) to pick up LO then head home to make dinner. Nights my husband is away I don't bother though and it's Mac n cheese, chicken nuggets etc. what is seamless?
  • Options

I get home at 8:15pm, leave at 6am. Full time for me is 3 days a week, so on those days, I either cook something the day before, or have H start the crockpot before he leaves at 7:30 (and turn it off at 6). You have to really want to do it, because it's hard work to plan/execute, but it's important to me to eat "real" food and keep our budget on track so that I can *hopefully* go part time after this LO is born.

• Options
    What is Seamless!? How do you live without it? Lol. It's an app where it stores your credit card info and within a few clicks of a button you can get food delivered from one of hundreds of restaurants in your area. Maybe the restaurants in your area don't participate so it's not a thing?

I have to try to manage my time better at work and force myself to leave earlier. I do try to leave before 8 (better than I did last year) but I want to try harder to get out by 7 until baby comes. Once baby comes husband and I will have to trade off leaving work early to pick up before daycare closes.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Achae said:

I purposely chose a job that didn't do that haha. I get out at 4 (my 6-2 shift was my favorite!) to pick up LO then head home to make dinner. Nights my husband is away I don't bother though and it's Mac n cheese, chicken nuggets etc. what is seamless?
    Our previous jobs were 11 hours with 2 hours of commuting. They do make crock pots with a timer and that's what we would do. We also only did freezer crock pot meals which slowed the cooking a bit.

With our current jobs, I can cook every night and have our meals planned out for all of September and October.

M: crock pot lemon chicken and potatoes
    T: Black bean soup
    W: orange chicken with couscous
    Th: out for a retirement party
    F: traveling, so Sheetz gas station food (don't knock it!)
    Sa: birthday party
    Su: clam bake
  • Options
    What if you're like not in the mood for something you planned? If you plan so far ahead. I just follow my mood most days - I can't plan that far ahead because I don't know what I'll be in the mood for.

And it's not my particular job that's really the problem, it's my career. It's not like someone tells me when I can leave or I have "hours". It's just about getting my work done- it's just so much and at a crazy pace that it's hard. But, I get by. I just hope to become more efficient before baby comes.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @inomniaparatus I had never heard of that app, although closest city to here is an hours drive haha. It's mainly mom and pop, very few chains unless you drive. I also plan so far ahead for meals with a whiteboard so I can make a weekly shopping list. Again it's a haul or inconvenient for me to make multiple shopping trips with LO. The whiteboard and meal planning helps keep cost down but is still flexible enough that each meal can be made a different night (unless I'm using leftovers that rely on it). We are planning to move once next baby is born so I'm trying to keep costs down in hopes of a nice new home :)
  • Options
    Luckily it's just my H and I so if we need to move things around, it's not a huge problem. I'm much better at wanting the food that I plan out than coming up with something on the fly.

Hopefully things will ease up for ya! Work it girl, you're a great role model for your babe!
  • Options
    Achae said:

@inomniaparatus I had never heard of that app, although closest city to here is an hours drive haha. It's mainly mom and pop, very few chains unless you drive. I also plan so far ahead for meals with a whiteboard so I can make a weekly shopping list. Again it's a haul or inconvenient for me to make multiple shopping trips with LO. The whiteboard and meal planning helps keep cost down but is still flexible enough that each meal can be made a different night (unless I'm using leftovers that rely on it). We are planning to move once next baby is born so I'm trying to keep costs down in hopes of a nice new home :)

Chains- for most part- aren't on it. It's like real restaurants... You should start a similar service in your area- become rich lol. Because I live in a city, I don't have a car (although, I'm getting one soon). So, in a weird way, I can relate to making a haul when you can. I order fresh direct weekly since I can't just run to the market. I usually try to plan for two mid week cooked dinners, then play by ear other nights where usually we order or husband will go out on a client dinner and I'll just eat something simple. I definitely want to work harder at planning ahead more- I think it will be a big money saver :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @inomniaparatus There are days when I don't feel like what I've planned, time gets away from me, H forgets to start dinner, etc. In those cases, we keep a backup of spaghetti and sauce, do grilled cheese and tomato soup, or go out.

I think it makes a difference that we have a 2 yr old at home. You can't fly by the seat of your pants when you have someone's mouth to feed other than your own. I became much better about meal planning after DD started eating table food.

• Options
    @inomniaparatus you can try meals that you prep on your days off and just put in the fridge or freezer until you're ready for them. I'm planning on doing that closer to my due date and on maternity leave as I'm prepping to go back to work.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    Yea you're right- I just never feel like doing that on my weekends. I'll figure something out eventually :-/

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I hate to bump a few-day-old thread, but also don't want to start a new one. A coworker just sent this to me and it's really cool. I'm sure others are familiar with this concept but this seems to be a great resource for freezer meal prep. I think I'm going to try to do this in January to have easy things to throw in the crock pot/on the stove for after baby comes.

https://newleafwellness.biz/2015/08/17/31-freezer-prep-sessions-that-will-change-your-life/

• Options
    pbtoast said:

I hate to bump a few-day-old thread, but also don't want to start a new one. A coworker just sent this to me and it's really cool. I'm sure others are familiar with this concept but this seems to be a great resource for freezer meal prep. I think I'm going to try to do this in January to have easy things to throw in the crock pot/on the stove for after baby comes.

https://newleafwellness.biz/2015/08/17/31-freezer-prep-sessions-that-will-change-your-life/

I just discovered this as well! I spent an hour the other day reading through a bunch of her entries, and took a few super easy meal plans from her lists. In maybe 2 hours, I got 8 meals prepped and put in the freezer. I was so proud!
  • Options
    That's awesome @Jellybelly119!
  • Options
    Great link! I too never got into meal planning until DS came along. I quickly realized that stopping at a grocery store on the way home a few times a week wasn't a quick realistic option anymore with an infant when it was cold and rainy or when they were screaming because they needed to eat and go to bed. I leave the house most days at 6:30 a.m. and do not get home until around 6:15 p.m on a good day. I really only have one good chance to go to the grocery store a week--so I have to figure out everything that I will need. Staying on a grocery budget is also important to me---with daycare costs and wanting to have extra money for stuff and the long term plans on getting a larger house I try to live within means that we set. I also like knowing what is going into the food that I am serving DS.

There are days that I come home and really don't want what we are having--but I have learned to suck it up and eat it anyway because that's what we have in the house. There are also days when crazy things happen, a bad accident delays me from getting home even later, DS just is so clingy I can barely cook anything etc that we do order out, but I try to avoid that whenever possible. I also do a lot of make ahead meals---I do things like roast a chicken on Sunday---and use the chicken to make enchillads or something else later in the week. I also might make a whole another meal for Monday so we can just reheat on Monday when we get home. I also might cut up veggies on a Wednesday night after dinner so they are ready to cook on Thursday night when I get home. Meal planning helps give us leftovers for lunches to take to work too, which saves money too. If you prep ahead of time right then cooking dinner can be pretty minimal. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image