April 2015 Moms
Options

Supply drop-any recommendations?

My son is 4.5 months old and is breastfed. He doesn't take bottles or nurse but we have never had to supplement. I have always been able to feed him at all his feeding times plus pump an additional 8-16 ounces daily. He has slept through the night since 7 weeks ao there are no night feedings and my pumping is generally in the morning after his first feeding and at night when he's already in bed and before I fall asleep. But 2 days ago I had my first period and can feel the difference in my breasts, I don't feel my milk dropping as it used to, there is no "fullness" sensation and I can barely pump 2oz in a sitting. I haven't really changed anything in diet or excercise and am nervous of losing my supply. Any recommendations?

Re: Supply drop-any recommendations?

• Options
    Codfish soup
  • Options
    Your period will temporarily reduce supply, it's hormonal so it's normal. Pumping that extra milk in the AM won't last forever, especially if baby isn't eating it. Supply regulates about now. Keep putting baby to breast, even if they wake overnight, to keep up supply. Stay hydrated, eat oatmeal, mother's milk tea if you want.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Fenugreek pills are supposed to help.
  • Options
    Very normal for your supply to drop when you get your period! Remember the extra milk you are pumping is just that, extra above what your little one is eating. Keep nursing on demand and your supply will be fine :) Also, as stephaniejfree said your supply is starting to regulate at this point.