April 2016 Moms
Options

FFFC

Flame Free Friday Confessions*

*May not be flame free
  BabyFruit Ticker      image 

Re: FFFC

• Options
    My parents are planning to move from Maine to Myrtle Beach. While I'm kind of pissed off that they're moving so far away from their grandchildren, I kind of don't care and can't wait for them to just go. They think it's going to be amazing and solve all their "I hate my life" problems, but obviously it's not gonna. They're going to be old and alone in Myrtle Beach and their grandchildren will barely know them because they're not going to be able to visit much. At least when they're that far away, they can't really guilt trip me for not visiting enough. They can take their drama and constant dissatisfaction down south with them, I don't need it up here.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I put ranch seasoning on my popcorn yesterday. When I got to the end I skipped the rest of the popcorn and dipped my finger in the seasoning and kicked it off my finger. Over and over again. So much sodium my ring wouldn't fit this morning.
  • Options
    Tippy05Tippy05 member
    edited September 2015
    I have absolutely no reason to be so worried about having a miscarriage but for some reason this week I'm completely obsessed with it.

I'm only 6 weeks tomorrow so even an ultrasound right now probably won't show me anything so I guess I just have to keep waiting. I hate it. I don't remember being this worried about it with my other two pregnancies.
  • Options
    I want to punch DH's baby mama in her baby maker. We drove 8 hours and took off work for him to see them, which she was well aware of, and now she's saying they "have a cough" so they can't see him. She also took away their cell phones - for good reason - and anytime he calls she says they're outside or busy. Because of his military career and numerous deployments, he has missed a lot of their lives. I get it if she doesn't want them to see me (they have yet to meet me), but just flipping be up front about it. You're 33 years old, be an adult. I'll chill in the hotel room while he sees them, I'm all for it. But don't be a c*nt because you're mad that he remarried, the kids are the ones who suffer in the long run. Ugh! So I guess my confession is that I would probably roast marshmallows if her face were to be set on fire right now.
  • Options
    What does his custody arrangement read in regards to his visitation? That's custodial interference. 
  • Options
    Tippy05 said:
    I have absolutely no reason to be so worried about having a miscarriage but for some reason this week I'm completely obsessed with it. I'm only 6 weeks tomorrow so even an ultrasound right now probably won't show me anything so I guess I just have to keep waiting. I hate it. I don't remember being this worried about it with my other two pregnancies.
    This is totally normal I think. I also think it's better to be aware that it's a possibility than be completely blindsided. I have a few friends who thought it could never happen to them because the had prior healthy pregnancies. Unfortunately, it happens to about a quarter of us. However, you really have ZERO control of the situation in most cases, so worrying about it will not change anything. Just take it one day at a time. Also, I would ask the doctor for a viability scan. You can definitely see a heartbeat by 7 ish weeks, so if you're sure of when you ovulated, ask for one!
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    Tippy05Tippy05 member
    edited September 2015

FFFC: I think the emphasis on natural birth is ridiculous. Thousands of babies are born all the time with epidurals and via c-sections and they thrive and even (gasp) breast feed successfully. I think getting stuck on a birth plan is ridiculous. This sounds very judgey and I am sorry for that, but I just never understood the need to control your birth experience. There is a girl in my first bmb who is still hung up on her c-section and it makes me so sad that she feels this way. Why has the crunchy movement in our society made her feel like a failure, when in reality she has a beautiful and precocious child? I haven't been in her shoes because I had a vaginal birth and it was pretty textbook, (except for the week long nicu stay after), but I definitely went into it knowing a c section was a possibility and to trust my nurses and doctors. 

I had 2 c-sections and after the first one I felt like a failure. I had a birth plan and it went to shit when my son was in fetal distress.

There definitely is societal pressure to give birth vaginally and med free and the rest of us are somehow cheated out of a "normal" birth experience. I got over it really quick though, once I got to take my baby home and realized that at the end of the day it doesn't matter how he came out, he did and he's mine.

I agree that birth plans are silly. It's nice to have a "wish list" but the doctors job is to get the baby out safely and sometimes that means surgery. You have to be able to go with the flow.
  • Options
    Yeah my doctor flat out told me they laugh at birth plans. He is also a high risk doctor though so I guess that makes sense because he sometimes has to deal with such hard situations and he's probably seen a lot of babies not make it (trigger? sorry), that in his head, he's like, nope, my job is worry about this baby's life. My nurses were awesome, I wanted pain control, and immediate skin to skin, they wrote my goals on the board and made sure everyone knew it. I am so sorry you had a hard time with your first c-section. I have heard from a lot of friends that the second c section is so so so much better. I guess it's rude of me to judge when I haven't had a c-section, but I did have a baby in the NICU after a "textbook" vaginal birth so I think I get some credit. 

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    I'm a total hippy mom. I changed my shampoo, toothpaste, and deride rant as soon as I found out. I'm a vegetarian. And I want my child to have the healthiest life possible. I don't plan on making baby live in a bubble. But if I can save one person from all the medical problems I face ( from environmental chemicals) then I will. I want to be up to date on all the science. Even if it's not peer tested I would rather be safe than sorry. I will not have any chemicals furring labor or delivery unless baby or I MUST have it. I also plan to cloth diaper and feed my child regardless of where I am.
    me (30) DH (30)
    TTC #1 since 02/2011
    Finally a BFP on 08/08/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    yodiggity said:

What does his custody arrangement read in regards to his visitation? That's custodial interference. 

Technically he's supposed to have them every other weekend, summer, holiday, etc but they don't follow it due to his career. The judge said at their custody hearing that since he's military, he should get them any time he can go see them, which is way less than the custody agreement. It's just frustrating because she's not the kind of woman I respect, as I was raised to stand on my own two feet and she has never held down a real job...and still lives with her parents. DH has this thing about never talking badly about women even if they deserve it, so I'm just biting my tongue. Ugh.
  • Options
    Cat&Baby said:
    I'm a total hippy mom. I changed my shampoo, toothpaste, and deride rant as soon as I found out. I'm a vegetarian. And I want my child to have the healthiest life possible. I don't plan on making baby live in a bubble. But if I can save one person from all the medical problems I face ( from environmental chemicals) then I will. I want to be up to date on all the science. Even if it's not peer tested I would rather be safe than sorry. I will not have any chemicals furring labor or delivery unless baby or I MUST have it. I also plan to cloth diaper and feed my child regardless of where I am.
    As long as you vaccinate, I completely support you! And I still BF my 18 month old :-) And I haven't used a cover since like 2 times when he was a NB and thought I had to. FU covers.

• Options
    Oh and another fffc inspired by @cat&baby but not meant to insult!!! I always secretly hope that women who are die hard against epidurals give in and get one, just because I think it's hilarious. Labor HURTS! #sorrynotsorry

• Options
    Oh and another fffc inspired by @cat&baby but not meant to insult!!! I always secretly hope that women who are die hard against epidurals give in and get one, just because I think it's hilarious. Labor HURTS! #sorrynotsorry

That was me! I thought that I could easily handle childbirth and women who needed meds were pussies. Then I had to be induced because of a preeclampsia and a detached placenta. I took an epidural and I was glad to have it. I plan on taking one this time around too. Now, I see it totally differently. Modern medicine makes it so we don't have feel the pain if we don't want to. We're all pregnancy warriors, no matter what. 
      BabyFruit Ticker      image 
  • Options
    I lied to my doctor about the date of my LMP so that my due-date would be based on when I actually ovulated and not five days early.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Tippy05 said:

FFFC: I think the emphasis on natural birth is ridiculous. Thousands of babies are born all the time with epidurals and via c-sections and they thrive and even (gasp) breast feed successfully. I think getting stuck on a birth plan is ridiculous. This sounds very judgey and I am sorry for that, but I just never understood the need to control your birth experience. There is a girl in my first bmb who is still hung up on her c-section and it makes me so sad that she feels this way. Why has the crunchy movement in our society made her feel like a failure, when in reality she has a beautiful and precocious child? I haven't been in her shoes because I had a vaginal birth and it was pretty textbook, (except for the week long nicu stay after), but I definitely went into it knowing a c section was a possibility and to trust my nurses and doctors. 

I had 2 c-sections and after the first one I felt like a failure. I had a birth plan and it went to shit when my son was in fetal distress.

There definitely is societal pressure to give birth vaginally and med free and the rest of us are somehow cheated out of a "normal" birth experience. I got over it really quick though, once I got to take my baby home and realized that at the end of the day it doesn't matter how he came out, he did and he's mine.

I agree that birth plans are silly. It's nice to have a "wish list" but the doctors job is to get the baby out safely and sometimes that means surgery. You have to be able to go with the flow.
    I think it's a societal trend towards trusting emotion vs science. It's same thing that makes people afraid of cell phones, microwaves, GMOs, vaccines, or not believe in evolution or global warming. Even gluten intolerance falls in here - did you see the article where the scientists who first proposed non-seliac gluten intolerance now think it's invalid?

My FFC: I think our science education in this country is appalling.

Edit- just wanted to note that it's fine to prefer a vaginal birth, but sometimes a c-section is medically necessary, and we should be thankful it can be so safely and reliably performed when needed
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think it's a societal trend towards trusting emotion vs science. It's same thing that makes people afraid of cell phones, microwaves, GMOs, vaccines, or not believe in evolution or global warming. Even gluten intolerance falls in here - did you see the article where the scientists who first proposed non-seliac gluten intolerance now think it's invalid? My FFC: I think our science education in this country is appalling. Edit- just wanted to note that it's fine to prefer a vaginal birth, but sometimes a c-section is medically necessary, and we should be thankful it can be so safely and reliably performed when needed
    Preach!
  • Options
    @iamrandom I'm ready to be flamed if others feel differently, just airing my FFC :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mil only hears what she wants to hear with the big life decisions. I've been telling her what she wants to hear because I can't deal with her judgment.
  • Options
    I used to say I would take 2 epidurals. But as I've aged my opinions and knowledge have changed. I tend to be open minded and trust my Dr. I have no plans to sign epidural paperwork. I know I'm a pansy and I'll probably try to cave! I want to be one of those magical unicorns that orgasms during birth!
    me (30) DH (30)
    TTC #1 since 02/2011
    Finally a BFP on 08/08/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jonesl12 said:

I get really annoyed by people not using the search function and or Google . I also am getting peeved at people coming on here and posting a question and never commenting on it again. What's the point ?

Ah ppl do this all the time on my towns mom2mom fb page. Questions that could have been easily solved by googling it, like what time a restaurant closes or what's on their menu, etc.
  • Options
    runlong3 said:

I disagree about going pain-med free. I went without meds first time around and I will never say it was the most pain I've ever experienced. I actually didn't associate it with pain, rather pressure. And I had pretty much complete back labor. I DO think it's completely how you prepare for a birth, and our society has taught us and ingrained in us that it's painful. Watch any movie involving labor for proof of that. If you go into something mentally prepared for it to be the worst thing in your entire life, well, it might just be. But there are other methods to go about preparing for it that give you a different perspective and approach so it's not as bad. 

I didn't want meds because I wanted the best shot possible at not having a c section. Does that mean that you may not need an epidural? No. Does that mean you WON'T need a c section? Absolutely not. But any time you start adding interventions, you start increasing the risk of having complications. There are DEFINITELY times that an epidural is indicated and can help progress labor, but the key is to know when those times are. Again, the key is to know when interventions are needed and you can't be locked into only going about things a certain way. Whether it's getting a bit of a reprieve from a super long labor via an epidural or ending up going pain-med free because the epidural didn't work. You have to be prepared for every possibility regardless of which method you choose.

I had a med free birth, but not by choice. I had a failed epidural. I was totally planning on the epidural the whole time and didn't prepare for other possibilities. Long story short, prepare for all of the options. You can't completely control how your birth is going to go.
  • Options
    akb1125 said:

jonesl12 said:

I get really annoyed by people not using the search function and or Google . I also am getting peeved at people coming on here and posting a question and never commenting on it again. What's the point ?

Ah ppl do this all the time on my towns mom2mom fb page. Questions that could have been easily solved by googling it, like what time a restaurant closes or what's on their menu, etc.
    We have one of those on Facebook too and it's so bad I took myself off of it
  • Options

"but I just never understood the need to control your birth experience"

The irony in this is that more often than not, the point of most of our L&D interventions is to do just that- control the birth experience. Daylight deliveries are what it's all about! Did you know most OB's when order pitocin order it "Pit to distress"? In other words "load her up on out until baby doesn't tolerate it. Crap, baby's doing badly after all that. Emergency C/S.

I hate that anyone would feel PTSD or shame in their birth experience, but I hate even more that we try to control the timing of delivery so much that we force women into unpleasant birth experiences.

Signed, and L&D nurse who sees it All. The. Time.