April 2016 Moms

Prenatals without iron?

i know iron is important... But I seriously cannot take what it is doing to my stomach!!! Anyone take any without? Or have any suggestions?

Re: Prenatals without iron?

• I take the gummies. They don't have any iron in them. I try to add more iron to my diet because of that. I had slightly low iron last time I was pregnant and my OB recommended beans, Kix cereal and a few other things. I remember I made a lot of strawberry lemonade around that time too. I think it helped absorb the iron or something? Don't quote me on that....

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Vitamin C helps increase iron absorption, so yes @KDHB13 @bnn123 lemonade is a good option!
    Married 9/17/11 BFP 10/5/13 DS Oliver Stephen born 6/11/14 via C-section 8 lbs 9 oz BFP 8/14/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Low iron is incredibly common in pregnancy so I would keep taking them if you can. Were you not taking them before you got pregnant?
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Are they making you constipated? If you're having constipation problems, which is super common with iron supplements, try really upping your fiber and make sure you're drinking enough water. Or just get iron from your diet like others suggested. Make sure you get your iron though. I was anemic after having my first, and I would rate it 2/10, would not want to do again.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• I take the gummy vitamins that don't have iron. My dr said it was fine and if saw on my blood work that I was low on iron that I could take a supplement.
  • I've tried about a bazillion different brands of gummies and the vita fusion prenatals are the only ones that don't make me sick for some reason.
  • Gummies here too. Took them with DS and he doesn't have a tail…yet.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • @NachosAndPeaches So funny you said that! DS was touching our dog's tail yesterday and saying "Tail!" I asked him if he had a tail and he said, "Yeah!" When I told him he didn't have one, he looked genuinely surprised and confused and started to feel around for one

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• @KDHB13 It must be the deli meat you inevitably ate during your pregnancy. And your epidural (if you had one). LOL. How old is DS?

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Haha def the epidural! He turned two last week.

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• I'm taking the Vitafusion gummies and they don't have iron in them. At my first U/S I discussed this with my OB and she said not to worry about it in the first trimester, right now is survival mode through the symptoms and iron supplements tend to increase the nausea and constipation. If it shows up as being low in the bloodwork later on then I can start taking an iron supplement.
  • bnn123 said:

i know iron is important... But I seriously cannot take what it is doing to my stomach!!! Anyone take any without? Or have any suggestions?

If you can't take iron supplements, frosted mini wheats have a TON or iron and fiber in them. It's my go to when I'm anemic due to a heavy period or too much green tea. If you can stomach them, they're great!
  • I take the target brand gummies - no iron (i think they are supposed to be like the vita fusion ones). My blood work came back fine, so I am just trying to eat a balanced diet and hope that i'll have enough. the gummies also don't have a lot of calcium, so i am trying to have a bit of extra milk or dairy each day.
    ~~When you wish upon a star ~~

• I just asked my dr today about this. She told me gummies are fine till 2nd trimester starts.
  • I'm in a natural mama group even though I'm not really a natural mama (I vaccinate so I immediately feel left out lol). Anyway, one of the things that they always say to do and I have no idea if theres any merit to it, but it's to use a cast iron skillet to cook your food. Figured it can't hurt!