December 2015 Moms

Luxury Items

2»

Re: Luxury Items

• Diaper bags are definitely coming up as our luxury item here! I'm honestly not sure if I'll get one. I've used the same tote for the last 6 years and carrying anything else would seem really unnatural! I can insert the baby emergency kit to that and chuck in bottles etc if needed. FTM here so might be absolutely deluded but can I do without?

I think it's whatever works for you. My brother and SIL used an army surplus pack and loved it over the traditional diaper bags. My mom talked about for her she really liked just using oversized purses with us. Some of it may depend on circumstances. Some day cares like you to have a diaper bag you can leave with them (if you go that route). If you're going to be out a little longer you may need a little more than you can fit in your tote, but you can definitely supplement. There are a wide variety of diaper clutches that might help make it work if you're interested in trying that.
  • My birthday comes a few days before the estimated due date, so planning to get a whole new pajama set complete with robe and slippers for me, to help with the up and down sleep schedule and ensure I don't always have to be dressed to be covered the first week or two after.

Far as other luxury items we plan to get a nice cushy glider. Everything else we have are hand-me-downs which are awesome and help us out wonderfully, but would be nice to get a couple things new, even if not directly for the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • @chilton1286 I haven't liked most of the diaper bags I've seen (for either style or size issues). I am planning on getting the skip hop pronto changing station pad (it has a compartment for diapers and wipes and just throwing it in larger purses or cute market bag (DH can use a backpack or his messenger bag with the same philosophy). I am looking at things like this: https://www.duluthpack.com/handbags/totes/medium-market-tote.html as about the right size but might get one with a couple outside pockets. If we were doing daycare, I'd pack a daycare diaper bag and just choose something affordable for that purpose. I also plan to BF so I personally wont be carrying much bottle mixing stuff. I figure if my tote needs more organization I can use a cosmetic bag or ziploc! As @Mizuiro007 said if we will be out longer DH can use the backpack or we can throw a couple extras in a canvas shopping bag in the stroller or car.
  • There's this company called Lily Jade that sells real leather diaper bags and I want one. It's only $300...
  • We got a Bugaboo stroller in the navy/ chrome- It is beautiful and I totally love it! I am sure my husband would call this a "luxury item" I on the other hand consider luxury to be something for me. Like say something sparkly? We will see what he has to say about that one ;)
  • I got a leather Storksak diaper bag last time, that I still plan on using, and have splurged on a Clek Foonf for DD, will probably get a Nuna Pipa infant seat for this next little girl, but not sure what else is on the horizon just yet. I'm cloth/wool diapering with Sloomb this time around, so I guess that counts too.
  • @tralalablah I have considered leather diaper bags. Has it been hard to keep clean (any spills)? Is it heavy? 

•  I'm cloth/wool diapering with Sloomb this time around, so I guess that counts too.
    I thought I was good with the diapers and covers I had but I just saw some of the sbish two tone covers and drooled a little bit. I may splurge on one if I find a sale (they're just so squishy!) but I'm trying to sit on my hands, especially since I'm not a fan of washing non-interlock wool. I do have some adorable newborn fitteds hiding in the nursery though
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are buying an Uppa stroller, definitely the most expensive single item we'll buy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I kinda am debating on buying a Baby Breeza...I love my Kuerig and its like a Kuerig for babies...sorry I love gadgets lol
  • @angiestwitter Hubby really wants a formula machine this time after having to make so many bottles with DS. I decided to look at different ones and have thought if we can get one it'd be the bornfree bottle genius (I think that's the name). I know you have to mix the bottles a little more than with baby brezza but I like some things it has like the cleaning cycle, you can adjust for odd or even Oz (baby brezza is even only), it weighs the bottle as it's filling, and a few other things. I'm not sure if you've looked at it but you might think about it if you haven't.
  • Oh my word... I really want nice PJ's too. But I want them now cos all my pre-pregnancy pj's are small tanks which SO do not fit any more... but DH doesn't notice cos I am now living in his T-Shirts. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Oh my word... I really want nice PJ's too. But I want them now cos all my pre-pregnancy pj's are small tanks which SO do not fit any more... but DH doesn't notice cos I am now living in his T-Shirts. 

Actually given the bloodshed that'll occur post baby a nice set of third trimester jammies sounds like a brilliant idea.
  • TomekiaB said:
    @tralalablah I have considered leather diaper bags. Has it been hard to keep clean (any spills)? Is it heavy? 
    I don't find it to be heavy, but in 2.5 years it has lightened in color a ton (used to be a more saturated medium/light eggplant color and now seems more lavender). It also has a spill that shows on the outside in one spot, so not ideal, but to be honest, I haven't really tried to treat it.
  • rxredhead said:
    I thought I was good with the diapers and covers I had but I just saw some of the sbish two tone covers and drooled a little bit. I may splurge on one if I find a sale (they're just so squishy!) but I'm trying to sit on my hands, especially since I'm not a fan of washing non-interlock wool. I do have some adorable newborn fitteds hiding in the nursery though
    I'm going to a class tomorrow to learn more about working with them. I bought a ton of wool, but haven't tried washing/lanoing yet. It scares me. I don't want to accidentally felt anything!