April 2015 Moms

Breastfeeding and Coffee

Hello Ladies. I was wondering if you are breastfeeding and drinking coffee? I drank one cup all throughout my pregnancy. And now since I'm breastfeeding, I have not had one cup. And I am craving it. I only drink water and juice. Has anyone breastfeeding continued to drink coffee? Has any problems with baby?

Re: Breastfeeding and Coffee

• I drink a cup of 1/2 caff each morning & usually one pop each afternoon. No ill effects so far.
  • I found that my baby spits up more when I drink caffeine. I've switched to decaf and that's seemed to help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your experiences. I have heard decaf coffee is worse for your health over all because of the way it is processed. Maybe I'll wait till baby is a little older to start inducing caffeine back into my diet.
  • @onwax2, You need to look for decaf coffee that says Swiss Water Process. It does not use any solvents.
  • Yikes I begrudgingly admit I have been drinking a medium coffee every day since I had my baby.  I am breastfeeding but this is the same amount I took in during the last trimester only (had no coffee during 1 & 2).  I am now considering going off caffeine entirely to see if there are any positive effects I can report back to you.  I notice my baby does spit up a bit, esp in the morning, so it could be directly related to when I drink my morning joe.  
  • In th hospital my family brought me a coffee and I asked the nurse if it will effect the baby and I was told a cup or two should not effect her. Remember your body metabolizes a lot of it too, I have a coffee everyday and haven't noticed it have any difference on my girl
  • AnankeAnanke member
    I drink plenty of coffee and haven't had any issues with DD staying awake or being fussy or anything. I limited myself to 2 cups a day while pregnant, and now have about that on average, though there have been a couple days when I've gotten a large latte with an extra shot. I also take a while to drink mine, so it isn't all being consumed within an hour or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• len52len52 member
    I was told by my lactation consultant that caffeine in moderation was ok for nursing! I was also told while I was pregnant that one medium iced coffee a day was ok. Not that I drank that much while pregnant, but especially now waking up every 2 hours to nurse I need a little bit of caffeine!
  • I drink 8 oz when I need it. I was told 1-2 cups was fine and it doesn't seem to bother baby
  • I love coffee, without having one cup of coffee in the morning my day is incomplete. Our lactation consultant advised me to avoid coffee but I cannot stay without it. So to observe for any side effects in the baby I had one cup of coffee daily for 4-5 days luckily there are no side effects so I started to have it daily. From this I can say that everything in moderation is good.There is no such food to avoid even while nursing but should be taken in moderation that's it. One important thing to keep in mind is feed your baby before having and again after one and half hour so that caffeine content gets cleared. Daily intake of 200 mg to 300 mg caffeine content is safe. You can get more detailed info @ https://www.momjunction.com/articles/serious-side-effects-of-caffeine-while-breast-feeding_0089680/
  • I have 1-2 cups of coffee almost every morning and notice no side effects or difference in my LO compared to the days that I don't drink coffee.
  • I drink tea every morning and it doesn't seem to affect things. I try not to drink it before his last feeding of the night, just in case, so that I don't send a buzzed baby to bed, but no problems here!
  • From what I have read, you can have the same amount of caffeine daily while breastfeeding as you could while pregnant. Up to 200mg is safe. Personally, I have chosen to not drink coffee (even though I really want it) while breastfeeding just as I chose not to during pregnancy. Nothing wrong with having a cup each morning though! Just keep an eye on your LO as they say caffeine may cause gas and/or keep them awake depending on how much you have. There shouldn't be any permanent or really scary effects though so I wouldn't worry too much about it! Just don't drink it before bed or nap time ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dr told me it varies from baby to baby on how sensitive they are. Some it will keep them up, others no effect. She said to test it out and see if I notice a difference and then decide. That being said, she said to keep it to the pregnancy range in the amount.
  • I was told 16 oz of coffee is safe. I usually nurse her before I have a cup of coffee and then she nurses again 2-3 hours later so it's already metabolized so she probably isn't getting that much if any.
  • I am so addicted to caffeine I had solidly 3 cups every day while pregnant and that habit continues now. (I know, I know.) My daughter kicked more when I drank the third cup around 12 in the afternoon while pregnant, but after birth spit up only if I didn't balance the caffeine intake with a less acidic breakfast, normally paired with a glass of milk or a supplemental protein shake. Aside from a little bit of spit up without the milk/supplement, she's been fine.