March 2016 Moms

How to deal with annoying pregnancy skin issues

bumptarabumptara admin
edited January 2016 in March 2016 Moms
Have you been waiting to experience the “pregnancy glow” you’ve heard so much about, only to find your skin is totally freaking out lately?

Like sunscreen on a hot day, we’ve got you covered. Here, Bump experts explain the causes of these common problems and how to tackle them. 

How do you deal with these annoying skin issues?

P.S. Let's take our friendship to the next level. Like us on Facebook

Re: How to deal with annoying pregnancy skin issues

• Our trip to Paris led to us being pregnant but sadly also led to a bad sunburn which just seems to get patchier and worse with every passing day. I wake up with a different shade of red everyday. Any suggestions anybody?
  • Our trip to Paris led to us being pregnant but sadly also led to a bad sunburn which just seems to get patchier and worse with every passing day. I wake up with a different shade of red everyday. Any suggestions anybody?

@nivedita17 is it still sunburn or is it a sensitivity issue now? If it's sensitivity, I may have something that could help!
  • Loading the player...
  • Guys I've had a severe allergy to something :-/ I wish mine was just sunburn. I now have scaring all over my body and I'm going on 5 weeks of being severely itchy / burning. I cry when I look at myself. I had beautiful skin. Now I look like someone else.
  • Glow!!!! What glow???? My skin is awful at the min full of spots and pale especially bad on books chest and shoulders
  • @jrv28 hi.. Turned out it was a form of atopic dermatitis and got it treated with short term topical steroids. All suggestions for sensitivity are welcome though
    Thanks!!!
  • Is anyone having hives on their stomach? I got cleared by Doc for benadryl and a 1% hyrdo-cortizon lotion (i'm 10w5d) ... Neither is touching it! I am wearing maternity clothes 100% of the time (thank you mom for the wardrobe!) and haven't introduced any new foods...Doc thinks just sensitive to changes going on, but it's so darn uncomfortable!!!
  • I had this happen when I was pregnant with dd...had to wash all of my clothes (and I mean all...the second I pulled something on that hadn't been rewashed I broke right back out!) in Dreft to clear it up...there are tons of newer detergents and softeners that are dye and fragrance free out there. Hope this helps and you get to feeling better!
  • @nivedita17 and EVERYONE ELSE.... I don't know if this is allowed or not but I just can't not say something! I am a rep for Rodan and Fields and they have an AMAZING product regimen called Soothe. It's safe during pregnancy and even safe enough for babies. I just can't say enough of what it does for sensitive skin issues. Like all kinds of issue... I use it on my daughter (2) for eczema, and it's good for sun burns and bug bites and itches and irritated skin and sensitive skin and so on.
    Honestly, I don't say this for my own benefit- if you know someone who sells R+F, get in touch with them! If not, let me know and I'll post my site so you can check it out. It's so so so good and worth it!
  • ^^^also, they have great stuff for acne too!
  • Are most R&F products safe during pregnancy. I was using them before pregnancy.
  • Does anyone have a good facial cleanser? I used various ones last time but didn't love any. I fell in love with a Sibu one but it has Sea Buckthorn in it and I'm not sure that's good. I use Juice Beauty now and hate it. I'd love all natural!
  • I use Simple
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm just letting my Rosacea reclaim my face ha ha
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • People say I have a glow and all I see is acne!! I just have bumps all over my forehead and chin. I feel like my face is oily too. What is a good face wash or scrub? Not expensive though please!! Lol something I can get from Target! ;)
  • Mcbb224 said:

People say I have a glow and all I see is acne!! I just have bumps all over my forehead and chin. I feel like my face is oily too. What is a good face wash or scrub? Not expensive though please!! Lol something I can get from Target! ;)

Nuetregena foaming face wash in the blue bottle works for me and the St Ives Oatmeal face scrub is alot more gentle than their others...both are inexpensive!
  • Cetaphil is gentle on your skin and it's affordable.
  • Cetephil is one of my favs too. I also love Mario Badescu products. Not too expensive but worth the few extra bucks.
  • The skin issues have definitely settled down as I enter the second trimester. Hopefully everyone has the same experience
  • MommaCtoB said:

My skin and hair are ridiculously oily, which is leading to serious breakouts too.

I'm having the same issue! My hair is oily the same day I wash it. My skin feels greasy and gross and my chin and chest are breaking out. I'm REALLY hoping that 2nd trimester my body will calm the eff down.
  • Are most R&F products safe during pregnancy. I was using them before pregnancy.

Yes, most of them are. You'd want to stay away from any with Retinol, of course, but there are only a few that contain that. Both the Soothe and Unblemish line are great during pregnancy.
  • I've had a few extra bumps and redness on my face but nothing too bad. Skin wise my biggest concern is my exacerbation on my vitiligo! At least acne isn't a permanent change. :-/ Any other mama's having issues with vitiligo?
  • I have also had a slight rash on my stomach. My dr too told me I was ok. I read an old wives tale that it could be a reaction to testerone-which means a boy. Mine doesn't bother me though just looks like heat rash. Good luck let me know if anything works to help you.
  • My dermatologist prescribed Clindamycin topical and Finacea topical, and my OB confirmed both were safe to use. My skin was breaking out pretty badly, red, and splotchy. After using these topically for a week, my skin is back to normal!
  • Yep, my skin is a nightmare if one day I don't look like a wax work then I look like a pizza across my face shoulders and back. To go with the weight gain it's sucked my confidence right away!! After reading this perhaps I'll try a different detergent and a different foundation perhaps, even tho that was a mineral one, just looks like I don't get on with it!
  • I ordered a facial wash to try from lemongrass spa (my friends a rep and posted incredible before after pics of her eczema). It was $14, so mid priced and ALL natural. Its really gentle, cleans so well so far. Im hoping it stops the breakouts, we will see. I do not love the smell but can tell you in a few weeks if id recommend it. Those of you breaking out, try a cottonball with toner after you wash your face and see if its really getting clean...mine wasnt and since i cant use what was working before pregnancy, im hoping this is my new miracle!
  • I just got Belli facial cleanser and spot treatment. I hope this ish works, since it's $10 more than what I had used pre-pregnancy. :/ I'll let y'all know.
  • Ive used belli with my last pregnancy didnt love it. But ive been using this lemongrass spa stuff a little shy of a week and my skin is almost back to normal. Im shocked. It doesnt smell great but it works. If anyone is interested i think i paid 14 for a small bottle but i use less than a dime size a day so should probably last me at least half this pregnancy. I can get you a rep of you want to try it just message me. Im really just shocked and soooo glad. Their body scrub too...omg i want to eat it. If you do try it buy lne of those for yourself as a mommy treat!
  • Arbonne has a really great all
    Organic skincare line that I have been using and works wonderfully. I love that it is all natural and I don't have to worry about any chemicals on my skin. My mom is an Arbonne rep and can send you information on it! Just shoot her an email: kathygrayson1@gmail.com
  • Ops wrong response - ment to comment on something else lol
  • I'm getting so many pimples ugh!
  • This past week my dermatologist diagnosed me with Pityriasis Rosea. Even though it's incredibly itchy, it's not harmful to the baby or I. The constant headaches and fatigue are getting to me; just when I was starting to feel better. I was prescribed 2.5% hydrocortisone cream to use sparingly, and generous amounts of vanicream help to stave off the itching for a few hours.
  • My forehead has been really itchy for a couple weeks now, and I've tried using moisturizer to make sure it's not dry skin but it doesn't seem to help. Also, I've developed a small rash on the side of my arm, but it lines up perfectly with a changer I have to wear at work which is all metal and I've always had a sensitivity to metal, however never had issues with the changer breaking me out before. Not sure if this is pregnancy related or not, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm open to them!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Since I turned 10 weeks pregnant, I've been experiencing red rash-like bumps around my arms, legs, and now hips. I'm almost 15 weeks and it has only gotten worse. My OB just told me to take hydrocortisone, Benadryl, or Calamine lotion, but none seems to really work. I'm a FTM and I've never had any skin issues before I got pregnant. Any one have any recommendations or is anyone going through the same thing? I never had morning sickness, so this is my main issue. I'm itching like crazy and what makes it worse is a scratcher. I may need to get some gloves! Lol
  • I use Noxzima
  • I had pimples during my first few weeks of pregnancy (up till 10) and I usually use this black sugar scrub from The Face Shop (Korean brand) twice a week and now it's mostly gone.. Sure there are a few small bumps here and there, but the big ones are gone now.. I have been using La Mer face wash since before my pregnancy, so I just continue using it for daily cleanse, and when it gets really dry I just use the La Mer Concentrate.. :)) As for the itching, I had it once, and I bought this Chinese ointment the one that smells like very herby and minty.. it really soothes the hive-like itching..
  • I have mad itchy legs I'm doing my pregnancy alone no medical intervention this is my third

• My face is super dry. No amount of moisturiser is helping. Any suggestions?