November 2015 Moms

battle over the thermostat

I find myself sweating and super hot and uncomfortable all the time. For the past few weeks I've just been miserable. I find myself turning the air way down just so I can be comfortable. Last night was unbearable so I turned the air down to 68 at 5:30 this morning the hubby turned the heat on so by 6 am I was laying in a puddle of sweat. So the hubby get an ear full and told if he touches the thermostat again I'm putting a padlock on it. He laughed at me and said "don't worry baby you will be back to normal in no time." What's normal and why can't you just leave the thermostat alone?

Re: battle over the thermostat

• Loading the player...
  • I'm am hot all the time too! Luckily hubby is just letting me set the thermostat where I want and he can curl up extra tight in the comforter if he needs to. Haha.
  • Yep I make DH get a blanket! 98 degrees out and he's wearing a long sleeve and sweatpants :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My weird DH feels like the heater or AC need to be on at all times. So if we hit a couple days where the temperature hovers around 70 degrees, he'll have the heat cranked up to 75. WTAF? It's not happening this year. 
  • and P.S. it takes a LONG time for your body to get back to normal after having a baby. I was pretty much sweating ALL the time, especially at night, those first 3-4 weeks post partdum. 
  • apritch88 said:

and P.S. it takes a LONG time for your body to get back to normal after having a baby. I was pretty much sweating ALL the time, especially at night, those first 3-4 weeks post partdum. 

This! I had hot flashes and woke up soaked for months.
  • Well, I was just told Yesterday that I am a completely different person while pregnant. Last time I checked, I'm still me. Lol
  • Gapeach83Gapeach83 member
    edited August 2015
    Pontot31 said:

apritch88 said:

and P.S. it takes a LONG time for your body to get back to normal after having a baby. I was pretty much sweating ALL the time, especially at night, those first 3-4 weeks post partdum. 

This! I had hot flashes and woke up soaked for months.
    Just months? Shoot it's never been the same. It's a lot worse when pregnant but I used to be cold natured not anymore.
  • I need the A/C cranked! There isn't any argument though, we both love it cold lol
  • This! And no a fan does not cut it. dH seems to think if he aims enough fans in my direction he can turn the temp up but I am up in the middle of the night sweating like it is my job. He likes to sleep in just his briefs and I told him if you are cold out some pants on geesh!
  • Lucky for me, DH is usually warm too, so he's okay with turning the AC up. Unfortunately, our bedroom's circulation is AWFUL so we don't get much air even if it is turned up. We have our ceiling fan going, but that's it because box fans are too noisy for him to sleep (and I'm not sleeping anyway, so he might as well). And it's sad because it's cool at night but our windows are so old they don't open anymore so I don't get to enjoy the mid-50's air that's going on outside
  • My husband just likes to open all the windows and use fans. It does make the house a bit cooler, but not nearly as quickly as the AC and I don't want all of the windows open all the time. Especially when I am trying to get dressed or ready for bed.

The kicker is that we have solar panels and so we pay nothing for electricity. It isn't like not using the AC is saving is money. When he was growing up they NEVER turned on the AC even though they had it. I feel like it is one of those old habits die hard things.

Now, in the winter, he has no problem cranking the heat up, where I just wear more layers/blankets.

We also have a smart thermostat, so I can actually turn the AC on using my phone from bed (or anywhere else in the house) but he can do the same thing.
  • We don't have AC :(( my condo did and it was amazing when pregnant with dd but we sold and bought a house and the majority of houses in this city don't hand AC... It's awful!

But I agree, I'm always so hot and usually open the Windows and turn the ceiling fan on but have to shut the window at 5am or listen to the damn crows... Not sure what is worse, being too hot or hearing the crows all morning long.
  • oliarnmom1517oliarnmom1517 member
    edited August 2015
    One great thing about having all utilities paid at my apartment is I can make it as cold as I want.. And my husband can't go on about how I'm running the bill up >:) lol but in all seriousness I'm always hOt so our thermostat is always low lol

Edit because my phone thinks it knows what I want to write
  • nbpa3027 said:

My husband just likes to open all the windows and use fans. It does make the house a bit cooler, but not nearly as quickly as the AC and I don't want all of the windows open all the time. Especially when I am trying to get dressed or ready for bed.

The kicker is that we have solar panels and so we pay nothing for electricity. It isn't like not using the AC is saving is money. When he was growing up they NEVER turned on the AC even though they had it. I feel like it is one of those old habits die hard things.

Now, in the winter, he has no problem cranking the heat up, where I just wear more layers/blankets.

We also have a smart thermostat, so I can actually turn the AC on using my phone from bed (or anywhere else in the house) but he can do the same thing.

I'd be waiting for him to fall asleep and then turning it on from bed if I were you, just sayin'
  • I live in Florida and my house it on 68 pretty much all day long. My husband and boys are always walking around with blankets lol. They complain sometimes but I pretty much tell them to talk to the hand! 
  • Same!!!! I live in Ohio and it's been awkwardly hot. Night sweats galore. Cannot wait till Fall.
  • I feel you! I've had the AC on and down to 64 and I'm still sweating! Luckily my husband grabs extra blankets and calls our room a freezer.