August 2015 Moms

Swimming postpartum?

edited September 2015 in August 2015 Moms
What are the rules on swimming after delivery? Nothing on my paperwork says not to but I didn't even think to ask when I was at the doctor. I've found conflicting info online.

I'm 5 weeks PP (c-section). I need to enjoy this last weekend of summer!!

Re: Swimming postpartum?

• JSmith42514JSmith42514 member
    edited September 2015
    My discharge paperwork for my c-section says 6 weeks until you can submerge the incision. I wonder if how they "shut" you plays a roll too...... I was cauterized with no staples or stiches

Me: 25 DH: 27

Married: April 25th, 2014

DD #1: August 20th, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My discharge paperwork for a c-section also says not to take baths or anything that would submerge the incision for 6 weeks and I have stiches
  • Loading the player...
  • My discharge paperwork for a c-section also says not to take baths or anything that would submerge the incision for 6 weeks and I have stiches

I was assuming 6 weeks. I am waiting 2 more weeks and then definitely getting in the hot tub
  • Whoops... When I got my staples out my midwife said I can take a bath..and that's what I've done many times..
  • I was wondering about swimming too. I'm 3 weeks pp and have had a bath but the pool is a different story with the chemicals.
  • Thanks ladies. I know my incision is healed, they told me that. The doctor actually commented she was impressed with how fast it healed. I just didn't know about risk of infection (vaginal) even though I didn't have a vag delivery I know the same protocol usually still applies (no tampons, sex, etc).
  • I called my dr office at 3 weeks to ask them if I could take a bath or go swimming and they told me no, that I needed to wait 6 weeks. She said if I was really dying to take a bath I could disinfect the whole tub and take a 15 minute soak but not an hour long bath :( I can't wait for 2 more weeks !!
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • victoriaaa1victoriaaa1 member
    edited September 2015
    While I was at the OB a while back some girl was waiting to be called back and in the waiting room she was saying how she can't wait to go swimming and enjoy summer finally this and that . She comes out disappointed and said how they said not to go swimming till she gets the ok by the doctor and she wasn't completely healed all the way enough though it looked and felt like it and Also germs . she was a few days over 6 days pp . There was another reason they said she couldn't but I can't remember :-<
  • I was told no swimming until my pp bleeding has completely stopped (vaginal delivery) 4 weeks and still bleeding...so no last big blast before summer is over.
  • I had a viginal delivery with a 2nd degree tear and stitches. They said no swimming for 6 weeks. They also said (and I quote) "nothing goes in for 6 weeks either!" So no tampon either which you'd need for swimming.
  • Thank you for asking this! I have been wondering the same thing.