May 2016 Moms

Intro (and pre-e question)

Hi ladies! I just got the blue line @-)
I was part of the Oct 2013 group, even though my little dude came over a month early. I developed very severe preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome. I was on bedrest starting at the end of my 2nd trimester and needed an emergency CS after I started seizing. Despite being premature, my son is a healthy happy guy and I could not be more proud of him!

I am insanely nervous about being pregnant because I actually needed to be resuscitated on the operating table because my heart stopped after my son was delivered. I am so paranoid that it will happen again. I am so happy with my family and while I know my son will be a great big brother and my husband and I would love to have another, I am nervous about the risk. Any other second/third/fourth/etc time moms have pre-e with one pregnancy, but not others?

TIA and I really am excited to rejoin the bump!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Intro (and pre-e question)

• NebFNebF member
    I didn't have any serious complications with my son, so unfortunately I don't have any answers for you. But I hope it goes well and you're both safe throughout the pregnancy. I understand your nervousness.
  • That's super scary. The wonderful thing is that both you and your son are ok. If you can go through that, you can go through anything!

Praying this pregnancy and birth is more pleasant and worry free for you, though!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I also don't have an answer to your question but wanted to welcome you to the board! I'm glad that you both are ok after such a scary ordeal, and I hope you don't have to deal with any of the same this time around.
  • I will preface this comment with the following: I have no experience with preclampsia.  But--from what I understand, just remember that every pregnancy is different and every baby is different.  My MIL has a total of 6 kids, the second of which was born three months early and was very touch and go while he was in the ICU for months.  He is now a 28 year old and her other 5 kids were born wonderfully healthy.  

Do your best to relax and remember what is within your control :)
  • Thanks ladies! I am resisting the urge to consult Dr. Google or even my old nursing textbooks because I am just afraid I will freak out even more if I see there is the slightest chance of having issues again. But, @mschill22 you are so right that every pregnancy is different. Thanks for the support and encouragement! It is so tough because one of my good friends IRL had a conplicated 1st pregnancy and a textbook perfect 2nd, but I am not ready to tell anyone yet. Just knowing you Mamas are here with comforting words really helps! Thanks!

Truth time: I get sappy when hormonal...sorry if there was Velveeta dripping off your computer/phone/tablet screens

BabyFruit Ticker
  • willashbabywillashbaby member
    edited August 2015
    Have you considered a baby aspirin regimen? https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20140910lowdoseasa.html
    I am at high risk due to weight and borderline high BP, I've been on it for my whole pregnancy. Consult your doctor but make sure they have also researched this as mine had never heard of it as a treatment. One of my friends who was induced for pre-e is now on this for her second pregnancy to try and help preventing it. 
  • saladflambesaladflambe member
    edited August 2015
    Hey there.

I'm not pregnant yet, but I had to pipe up because my mom had pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome when she had me. 

She had neither of these complications when she had my brother later on :)

She also had me via emergency c-section and was able to later have my brother vaginally.

(Edit to add: JK I'm pregnant as of the next day after posting this ^.^ Yay!)
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Thank you so much @willashbaby . I will definitely ask about the baby aspirin. It just feels good to have something that I can do since I felt so helpless last time.

And @saladflambe that is so reassuring. One very *helpful* old lady at church actually said at my son's baptism "Well too bad he is going to be an only child. You know my cousin had pre-e with her first and then went ahead with another, had the same issue...and DIED!" It is great to hear more positive stories. Also good to hear a positive VBAC outcome as well! Thank you so much!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • MamaBear211MamaBear211 member
    edited August 2015
    I'm glad you made this thread! I'm interested in seeing the responses. I believe I had preeclampsia with my first bc I had almost all the symptoms and he was a preemie (major swelling in third tri and following birth, vision issues/ seeing spots, nausea/ vomiting, and unusually high BP at my last appointment before I went into early labor. And I'm a vegan and my normal BP is usually perfect and was through the rest of that pregnancy until about 32-33 weeks) but either the doc never caught it, which wouldn't have been the first issue I had with him, or my symptoms were something else. My cousin just had her DS and she also developed HELLP and she is terrified of having a second too. From what I personally have read around the internet, women can develop pre-e in one pregnancy and never have it again, which I found helpful bc I myself am worried after my first birthing experience. Good luck to you! Birthing trauma is hard to forget!

imageimageimageimage

• DS1 was born a 30 weeks due to severe Pre-E and HELLP syndrome. With DS2 I was checking my blood pressure everyday and considered high risk. My blood pressure spiked at 35w5d. Due to my history, I had a RCS and DS2 was born completely healthy at 36w4d. They detected some elevated protein levels the day before he was born, but I didn't actually have pre-e or HELLP with the second pregnancy.

I am pretty much on the same plan this time, daily blood pressure checks, baby aspirin and monthly perinatal visits. I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and no scares this time :)

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD