May 2016 Moms

Is anyone still temping?

Hi, guys! First of all, congratulations to everyone! I hope we all have a healthy, uneventful 9 months!

I do have a call into my doctor, but while I'm waiting to hear back, I thought I'd ask here as well... Is anyone still charting their BBT? I read somewhere a while back that a declining temp can mean a possible miscarriage & I am terrified because while I did get my first positive yesterday at 12dpo, my temp has been dropping like it does before I start my period. It is still well above the cover line but I'm still freaked out.

I've had 2 early losses back in 2013 (and one 5 year old DD), but I wasn't temping so I don't really have anything to compare my chart to. I'm just thinking the worst, and I hate that. I did take another test this morning & the line is darker & I was able to turn a digital positive, so that gives me hope!

So, should I just quit temping all together and just keep testing to set my mind at ease? What are your thoughts?

Re: Is anyone still temping?

• Yes I would stop to put my mind at ease! That extra stress isn't healthily for you or baby, I know it's easier said than done especially since you have suffered losses before but try to enjoy this moment. I hope everything goes good for you. The first trimester will be the hardest for everyone here and then like magic when that 13-14 week mark hits the fear of miscarriage disappears!
  • @gooberdoofus95 Thank you so much for your input! I think I will put the thermometer away just to keep myself sane :) I did just hear back from my doctor & she said the exact same thing :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not temping but I cannot stop taking pregnancy tests!! I get the whole wanting to put your mind at ease. I'm going to stop, though, because it makes me insane :)
  • I took my last test last night.  I have gotten 4 strong positives and I am so excited, but I just want to buy more tests and do it every day!  The struggle is so real.  lol!
    *Married 7/29/11
    BFP 10/2/13, EDD 6/3/14
    Gave birth to my beautiful son, Owen Robert on 6/4/14!
    BFP #2 8/28/15, EDD 5/5/16

• Not temping but still peeing on sticks, although I think I can stop now that I've turned a digital lol.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I temped until I kept getting messages from Fertility Friend telling me to stop, lol (it was only 3 days after my first BFP but still... thanks for shaming me, FF!)

image        image

• Ok, you guys have totally made me feel normal. Thank you!!!
  • I had a huge amount of Wondfos left when I got my BFP a week and a half ago. I really just get a kick out of seeing the the lines turn darker. Took a FRER yesterday (at like 24dpo) and the test line was twice as dark as the control line. That will probably be it for me for testing, because logically, at this point a positive HPT  doesn't mean something bad won't happen, or that it already hasn't. With a MMC, you still make HCG and won't know until the first u/s if something's wrong. But that's just me being freaked out and paranoid . My 9/14 first u/s can't get here soon enough!! 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @concreteayngel I completely agree. I'm pretty sure I'll keep testing until at least next week just to see those digitals progressing from 1-2wk to 2-3wk, that will help ease my mind. I hope. :P But you're right, my levels with the last 2 pregnancies that ended in MMC were great, but the ultrasounds were not. Gosh, I think I will be an emotional wreck until AT LEAST the second trimester. Good luck with your first u/s!!
  • It's really hard not to be worried or emotional.  I've had a few losses too. 

I am trying to stay as hard as possible because you know what?  We can't control anything.  So, I might as well spend this time happy and excited and hopeful if I can.

That's what I tell myself at least, and it works at least 25% of the time! 

image        image

• @lest12 yes, FF had to shame me into stopping too! I feel you on trying to stay optimistic. I think not telling people yet has actually helped keep me grounded this time around.
  • @lest12 Thank you for your input! I definitely need to work on just staying relaxed and positive. I'm so sorry about your losses. Sending so many positive vibes your way that this is a healthy pregnancy for you <3
  • Same here, @eaorear!  We haven't told anyone.  It is kind of a nice secret to keep right now :)

@laurel8153 - sending those same vibes right back your way!!!!

image        image

• Thanks @laurel8153! Right back at ya! 

Hey, speaking of those digis that tell you the weeks, I am a little confused about them. I assume by 1 week, it actually means 4, and 2weeks is 5, etc etc. A HPT couldn't possibly know if you are actually 1 week pg, right? The moment you find out you are at least 3.5 weeks along, according to the screwy system that dates back to your LMP. I wonder how accurate they are, considering HCG varies so widely from woman to woman. It's a shame they don't make tests more qualitative. There used to me a test called the Detect5 that had 5 little windows where you deposit a drop of urine, and each window had an HCG amount. 25, 50, 1000, etc etc, so you could do your own betas up to a certain point. It was such a bummer to find out they don't make them anymore! 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @concreteayngel It is a little confusing, those tests tell you the weeks since ovulation.  For instance, I took one this morning & it said "Pregnant 1-2" meaning 1-2 weeks since ovulation, making me 3-4 weeks pregnant. Because you're right, if you are only 1 week pregnant, you pretty much just finished your period and could no way turn a test positive. Does that make sense? For me, the time frame of that test is accurate since I know I ovulated 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I've not heard of heard of the Detect5 tests! I would have loved to keep track of my hcg at home that way!
  • I temped the day after my BFP, but only because I hadn't taken a digi yet. After that I stopped. I don't wanna drive myself crazy. 

That said, if I had any bleeding, I would probably take my temperature. Not recommending, just being honest!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm not temping anymore. DH says my BBT is up just from touching me haha 
    I am POAS every morning, though. Using up my wondofos :)