January 2016 Moms
Options

Baby's first half-marathon tomorrow!

8.5 weeks in and we're resting up for baby's first half-marathon bright and early tomorrow morning! This will be my 3rd half, and baby's 2nd race already - the first was a 3.5 mile Spartan Stadium race at 5.5 weeks that DH ran as well, so it was a family affair :) Looking forward to another milestone with this little raspberry. The weather will be cooler with a chance of showers, but we'll be dressed for it. I plan to run at a comfortable pace, pick it up when I feel good, and stretch and drink water when I need to. Wish us luck!!

Re: Baby's first half-marathon tomorrow!

• Options
    You are awesome for finding the energy and endurance for a half-marathon! I am barely making it through my 3-4 mile runs through my neighborhood anymore.  How do you do it?! 

Best of luck!
  • Options
    I was training for my first half in sept. but I can also barely get in 3 right now. I was running around 20 a week.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you in MN? I almost ran the Spartan Race too!
  • Options
    RunnerMegRunnerMeg member
    edited May 2015
    Yay! Have an awesome race Momma! Can't wait to hear about it. I ran a half at 20 weeks when I was pregnant with our son and it was so much fun. I live in FL so by the time it gets to HM season here I'll be wayyy too pregnant lol. But I'm still running and we have a special hike in TN planned in September. :)
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Options
    Yay! Good luck tomorrow! This post just inspired me to take my raspberry out for a neighborhood 10k.
  • Options
    carmv01carmv01 member
    You are awesome for finding the energy and endurance for a half-marathon! I am barely making it through my 3-4 mile runs through my neighborhood anymore.  How do you do it?! 

Best of luck!
    Yeah, it will take me a few miles to warm up for sure - it's definitely been tougher to get going but once I find the groove it will be mostly a mental game :)
  • Options
    carmv01carmv01 member
    Are you in MN? I almost ran the Spartan Race too!
    Yay, a Spartan racer! No, I'm in NY. I was going for a triple trifecta this year before BFP happened :-x I was 3 races in out of 9 for the triple. I was supposed to do Ohio Beast this weekend but decided against it, just wasn't comfortable going through all that for obvious reasons. Of course, I still wanted to do *something* this weekend and earn us a little medal, so half-marathon it is! :)
  • Options
    carmv01carmv01 member
    thanks @vintagevice! Enjoy your 10k with your raspberry!!
  • Options
    kmcc14kmcc14 member
    That's awesome! Good luck and enjoy your race!
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Good Luck!!! =) My baby had his or her 1st half three weeks ago and it went pretty well.  We're doing the run leg in a triathlon relay tomorrow and I'm hoping for a break in humidity!
  • Options
    adcc43adcc43 member
    You go girl!! (((Is that even said anymore lol))). Good luck!

• Options
    You are one strong mama!!! I have been struggling with my 4 mile runs for the past week but I'm sure it's more of a mental issue than physical. I'm so impressed! Let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    khewskhews member
    Thanks for the inspiration! Signed up (pre-pregnancy) for two half marathons this year- one will be at 9 weeks the other at 16 weeks. I'm a little nervous about both but will try to listen to my body. Do you aim for a slower pace than pre-pregnancy? I have been just to play it safe and find it super slow.
  • Options
    Congratulations @carmv01! :) You look so great and it sounds like your race was fantastic. It will be such a fun story to share with the baby.
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Options
    MonaLSMonaLS member
    Congratulations!! I ran a 5 miler last week (switched from the half due to shortened training) and I have a 10k coming up.  I probably will stick to the 10k distance since races are expensive and I don't want to have to bail out.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    thebewrsthebewrs member
    edited June 2015
    Congrats OP! @MonaLS I also ran a 5 mile race this past weekend (also switched from a half to the five mile due to changes in training). How did you feel after? How often are you running to train for the 10k? Congrats again!
  • Options
    Congrats all running moms!! We did baby's first half at 7w2d 2 weeks ago! It went great! This mom is used to marathons and triathalons, so baby is along for the ride as long as we can both handle it!
  • Options
    Love all the running mamas in this group! I'm running the Seattle Rock n Roll in 2 weeks. I've been having some trouble on my training runs (mainly GI issues) but I know that the adrenaline on race day always makes a difference. Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!
  • Options
    Woohoo have a fab race! Yay to all you racing mommas!

I plan on running a half in a couple months, if I can find the energy to train! Right now I'm back to struggling for 4 miles though. It's great you have the energy to get so far!
  • Options
    im a runner. first pregnancy, just hit 6 weeks. im TERRIFIED to run now this early in the pregancy. so scared. im afraid of how hard running might affect my new sweet pea. i was going to run my first marathon in october but then found out i am pregnant. i did run a 10k on 23 may and didnt know i was pregnant..so maybe its okay as long as i pay attention to my body. i have serious anxiety about miscarriage. im healthy, eat clean, and have no issues with my reproductive system (endometriosis, pcos, etc)..i dont know why im so scared. so i have switched to walking instead. and plan to do yoga and light weights at gym. maybe once i hear sweet pea's little heart beat i will be able to breathe easier...
  • Options
    carmv01carmv01 member
    edited June 2015
    that's how I feel @ehmarried2012! baby's along for the ride :) I did decide to hold off on the Spartan races for the time being. It's no fun having to skip all the risky obstacles and then have to do 30 burpees instead. I love those races but it's just too much stress right now.

@brooksdominique I totally understand your concern. I was anxious about working out too and continuing my usual level of activity after I got pregnant. I did a lot of research on fitness and pregnancy and everything says that running is perfectly safe if you got the go ahead from the doctor. If you're worried about "hard" running, start slower. My body slowed down a bit just naturally because of all the changes (more blood volume, heart has to beat harder to deliver oxygen, joints are looser etc). Listen to your body and if something doesn't feel right, slow down or stop. Make sure to breathe and stay cool and hydrated!
  • Options
    Hey everyone - it's been a while since we've had activity on this post. Anyone else still running?
    We are! Although keeping it to how ever far about an hour will get us. These past few runs my hip flexors have been really tight. Anyone else having the same issue? Different prego running issues?
  • Options
    I'm still running! My baby's first half is in about 5 weeks. I expect to walk about half of it though, right now I've slowed down a lot and I stop to walk every mile. I'm ok with that though, as long as I stay active! I haven't had any other issues yet.

@ehmarried2012 are you planning on running as long as you can? I'm tempted to stop and go back to walking after my half. 
  • Options
    carmv01carmv01 member
    edited August 2015

Edit: Removed. This was my old birth club and I didn't notice!
  • Options
    @Ebiejay yes I am planning to run as long as I can. Right now I do about 1-1.5 miles, then walk 2 min to release all the pressure, then start back up again. I've noticed that doing this I can go much longer and farther, instead of just trying to run the whole time. Good luck on your half!!
  • Options
    Thank you! 
    Have you bought any maternity running gear? I have a "Running for Two" tank which I love, and can't wait to wear at my race! I figure if I'm putting in the extra effort building a baby while I run, I might as well show it off to the spectators. :-D