January 2016 Moms

Need motivation to workout!

Any mamas finding it hard to get to the gym or get your workouts in?

Pre pregnancy I was working with a trainer and at the gym 4-5x a week! MS ruined 1st trimester for me and now I just can't seem to find the motivation to get back to my routine! I work nights in a busy ER so working out before work is my only option! My midwife has mentioned since the beginning the importance of exercise and I know better, but i just can't find the energy and I don't even know where to start bc no gym for 4 months has taken a huge toll on my body physically! Anyone have ideas or tips or just been thru the same?? I'm feeling like a lazy bum and the weight gain (10lbs @ 19+5) is starting to creep up! I need to do something! Ahhh!

Re: Need motivation to workout!

• I have been so exhausted this entire pregnancy. 18 weeks and 3 days and this is my first day back at the gym. We have a resistance pool that's like a lazy river so I made myself walk in that to get an extra good walk in for 20 minutes and then did 10 minutes of swimming with a kick board. It was super easy on my joints, I stayed cool, it was relatively easy and I didn't feel pressure to perform because everyone else was on the treadmills/free weights. I felt so much better afterwards. I just needed that one 30 minute session to remind myself how much better you feel when you're active!
  • hey there, if you're looking for some kind of motivation, we started a healthy eating/exercise page:

:)
  • Loading the player...
  • I can completely relate. Morning sickness and a total lack of energy derailed me as well. This is my first week getting back on track. On the nights I can't get myself outside for a walk/jog or to the gym, I try to do this video so I feel like I did something. I mute it and watch HGTV or bravo to make the time fly. ;-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0J4N2uNqwx4

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Right there with ya. Opting for walks and at home work outs to ease myself back after being out of the gym the whole first trimester.

Don't set too high of a bar for yourself! Just aim to get some activity in each day and go from there. Do you have access to a pool? Swimming feels AMAZING. I bought a resistance band (quite a change of pace compared to the intense weights I was doing pre preg lol) and and exercise ball. Do some squats, lunges, wall push ups, planks. You'll build your stamina and motivation back up!

What's motivating me is that weight can start to really pile on and the tail end of pregnancy. I want to do my best NOW to prepare for labor and recovery post partum. The best time to start is now and the best thing to do is anything!!
  • I tell myself that I'm just going to do a light workout on days when I'm being lazy (walking on treadmill while watching tv). Half the time once I actually get to the gym I feel less lazy and do more. Generally though, I just try to do 30 minutes of some cardio and then some toning- tonight I did 10 minute prenatal arms (just watched the pop sugar fitness video from my phone) and 10 minute prenatal butt/thighs - also pop sugar video and then elliptical and stretching.

I read something about if you do something for 21 days, it becomes a habitat (others say it's actually 66 days), but when we didn't work out first tri not working out became the habitat (despite good pre preg habitats), so I'm telling myself after the past 7 gyms days, if I can just do this for another 14 days it will be so much easier after!
  • My only way to get my tired butt up is to keep the work outs short. Anything is better than nothing. Start small and you may find your energy comes back as you restart exercising.
  • I'm in the same boat!  Morning sickness was terrible for me from week 6 - 14 and I just haven't been able to get back into the groove of working out.  We also moved, so I have to switch gyms (hoping to do that tomorrow) but this week I've been starting with 15-20 min walks and 15-20 minute (gentle) strength training and stretching to get ready for the gym next week.  I'm also going to sign up for a prenatal yoga class starting next Saturday, and I am definitely looking forward to that.

But by the way, just reading this thread was good motivation!  I did three sets of various arm weights exercises and a set of squats after reading this post the first time.  Not much, but I'm trying to see any exercise as progress!  

Oh, and my main motivation is that labor is supposed to be easier if you exercise, and as a FTM I am looking for anything and everything to make labor easier!
  • I understand how you feel, first trimester hit me for six too, and it took a while to get back into things. I've continued running (somewhat), in order to keep myself motivated I signed up for a half marathon in October. I plan to walk a lot of it, but having an event to specifically 'train' for keeps me getting out the door. 

You could sign up for an event appropriate for you, or sign up for classes (if you pay beforehand you might be more likely to go), or find a workout buddy to help keep you accountable. You're much less likely to cancel if you have someone waiting on you to go to the gym!
  • Prenatal yoga. Find a video you really like. I have a demanding job that requires me being on my feet, which for me has resulted in lower back pain toward the end of my shift that could make a grown man cry. Yoga is relaxing and it helps stretch out those sore muscles
  • Before pregnancy I would workout at 5:15 am, but since I've been pregnant I just can't get out of bed that early so I workout in the evening. Since I hit the second Tri I have been pretty consistently working out 5 times a week. I used to run, bike and swim but now I've been doing jazzercise. For some reason going to a class with others seems to be more motivating than working out on my own AND I'm not responsible for pushing myself :).
  • Same thing here! I was working with a trainer and trying to lose weight pre-pregnancy. I'm 19w4d and up 6lbs since getting pregnant. I started walking 5 days a week, 2-3 miles to get back into cardio and the swing of things. I'm introducing weights again this week because we have a gym in our garage, (still can't get the motivation to go in there) but fingers crossed, this week. Just do what you can and sweat a little and drink a lot of water while doing it. Also the most important thing is don't eat a whole bunch of junk food, fried food, processed food, because baby can now taste and my belief is that what you put in your body now, baby will like in life. So eat clean.
  • I don't have very good motivation on my own, I have found that having a workout/accountability partner has helped tremendously! One of my girlfriends and I go to classes at the gym or we go on long walks together most nights of the week. 

Do you have any friends that would be interested in committing to a once or twice a week workout with you?
  • I think I'm going to post a pregnancy workout schedule on my wall tonight, to keep me motivated.  Sometimes seeing what I want to be doing in black and white really helps.  Since I'm high risk and have to take it easy, my plan is M-W-F 30 min walk and at home strength training (arm weights, plank, squats and stretching) and T-Th-Sa 30 minutes on the elliptical.  After my 20 week scan I'm going to start taking prenatal yoga once a week on the weekend too, so I'll be adding that in 2 weeks.

Just typing this out has made me feel more motivated and accountable!  It's not a very impressive exercise schedule compared to before pregnancy, but it's definitely better than the nothing I was doing for the nauseous first tri!  

Anyone else want to post their workout schedule, feel free!  It was helpful to me, anyway.  :)
  • During the first Tri yoga was my go to workout. Katie Appleton has some great 10 min yoga workouts that you can do 1 or string together to make it longer. Maybe something quick but focused is what you need to get back into the swing of things!