April 2015 Moms

Stranger anxiety at almost 5 months?

anyone have this issue? My LO will be 5 months on the 10th. He went from colic to stranger issues right away. He will cry if people, grandparents - anyone holds him besides my husband or me. Is this normal - has anyone experienced this? Dr says he is concerned because it's very early to go through this - which freaks me out more.

Re: Stranger anxiety at almost 5 months?

• My LO is only 4 months and 1 week old and she is somewhat similar. She is great with my husband and I, but as soon as most anyone else holds her she cries when she sees me. It's as if she realizes only after she sees me away from her that I'm not the one holding her anymore. She was a very colicky newborn too. My mom tells me it's because she's breastfed and she must have an "unhealthy attachment to me". Needless to say, my mom isn't a fan of breastfeeding :/

Makes me anxious about leaving her so I try not to!
  • My life sounds exactly the same! My LO will even cry when my husband holds him when he seese at times. I just assumed it was because I spend 24 hours a day with him. I never thought there could be anything wrong, I just thought I had a baby who really loves his momma.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was not colicky, nor does she have stranger anxiety. She does seem partial to me because I am home with her and BFing. So I don't know what to tell you about that aspect.

What I do have to say is not to stress out too much about it. It's too bad your pediatrician got you nervous. Yes, your baby might have some stranger anxiety and yes it might cause a headache for you at times but all babies eventually grow out of it.

I just keep telling myself (when it comes to feeding/sleeping/attachment/etc issues) they all walk into their first day of 1st grade by them selves at some point. At that point it does not matter if they slept through the night at 3 months or 12 months, if they started solids at 4 or 6 months, or if they were attached to you or not.

Deep breath mama, you are doing great! :)
  • Thank you all so much for the input! It's so nice to hear your thoughts and stories of your LOs! Maybe we just have advanced babies since they are going through SA earlier :)