May 2016 Moms
Options

Moms with Allergies and/or Celiac?

hi there, I was just wondering if there are any other moms out there with Celiac or Other allergies, and if you plan on trying to introduce some of your triggers back into your diet?

My sister-in-law has celiac, casin allergy and egg allergy and decided to do this. She said it is supposed to help curb allergies when they are born. (She is 6 weeks father than me)

I'm just celiac but I don't know if I want to do that, I might stay GF the whole time.

Anyone else thinking about this?

Re: Moms with Allergies and/or Celiac?

• Options
    I'm concerned about becoming celiac during this pregnancy! My mom was just diagnosed as celiac after many years of issues... That all began in her pregnancy. Apparently if you are genetically predisposed to it (which I might be, haven't tested yet but a few members of my family are) then a big life/body stresser such as pregnancy can bring it on. I'm planning on talking with my midwife about it on my first appointment in two weeks. My midwife is also a naturalpathic doctor, so I'm going she will have good insight.
  • Options
    I am celiac and I don't think it's the best idea to introduce it back into your diet as you are still allergic and gluten causes your intestines to not absorb nutrients if you are allergic to it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm wheat intolerant and have been trying to stick to a wheat free diet... I have slipped a few times on things that I really feel like but for all my regular foods I have stuck to what I would normally eat.. 

if your thinking of introducing foods back in your diet than I would suggest talking to your dr or midwife first especially if its a food that causes an allergic response or celiac disease
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I was diagnosed celiac in 2011 and have been GF ever since. I think if you are celiac, I would still stay away from gluten. Ingesting gluten causes inflammation and a myriad of other issues. Inflammation is not good. I feel miserable when I accidentally ingest gluten, I wouldn't want to add that to my pregnancy symptoms. But if you are in doubt, I'd ask your Dr or get a referral for a nutritionist. You can get plenty of nutrition from other foods besides those with gluten.
  • Options
    I'm a celiac and with my first baby I stuck to a GF diet because I know that it disrupts my intestines so much and doesn't allow for the nutrients to absorb, which is something you want when pregnant! Although, I will say, that I accidentally ate a full gluten cookie,preggo brain I guess, and had ZERO aftermath. I talked to my GI about it and she said that pregnancy can do crazy things to autoimmune diseases and she wasn't surprised hat I didn't have a reaction to the cookie BUT she wouldn't recommend me go back a a gluten diet because there hasn't been enough testing done. I hope this helps! 
    Me: 32 DH: 35
    Married 12/7/07
    DD: Born 1/2/14 
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• Options
    I'm allergic to shellfish - my tongue swells, which restricts my airway, and my blood pressure spikes.  Suffice it to say I will not be giving shellfish a shot during my pregnancy.
  • Options
    I also have celiac, and have been GF for the past 5 years. I do not want to risk damaging my digestive track and not absorbing nutriesnts. I think making myself unhealthy would not be good for baby! 
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with celiac after my first pregnancy. I had no issues prior to that! I want to reiterate what others have posted. If you have celiac and eat gluten, your body may not absorb nutrition from your food. Not good during pregnancy! But, in my case, my doctor informed me that in extreme cases of celiac, if you ingest gluten early in your pregnancy you could have a risk of losing the baby. In my case, gluten is pretty much poison to my body and my body gets it out as fast as it can (if you're catching my drift). This is dangerous during pregnancy.

Hope this helps!!
    I'm a New Year's Mama! BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I'm allergic (eat and touch) to raspberries and pineapple and I reintroduced it (only being very early in my pregnancy) and I actually had no reactions. I used to break out in hives from head to toe and sometimes had swelling of the tongue. Your doctor is the one who truly can guide you through this process.Good luck :)
  • Options
    My last pregnancy brought out...gave?...me an egg allergy. I could eat eggs through half of my pregnancy, got a flu shot with no reaction, around 25 weeks I could no longer eat them. My DD isn't allergic or intolerant of them. I am probably not going to test out the allergy during this pregnancy. It will be interesting to see if the new one is allergic or not. 

Or if this pregnancy created allergy goes away!
    After 3 losses,our rainbow baby is finally here! DD May 2012, #2 May 2016