Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Please help

I am a first time mommy and I have been trying to breastfeed but my little girl won't latch so I have been pumping. I get 5 ounces with both boobs but two weeks ago I got sick. I have been feeling better since but my breastmilk is not going back to it's original ounces I maybe get an ounce with both boobs together. My question is will it come back or should I give up and do formula? It's making me feel horrible that I am not making enough

Re: Please help

• I've had the same issue! I supplement with formula but hope to get my milk supply up to eliminate it. The pediatrician told me to try fenugreek so I picked some up today and hopefully it helps. Maybe you can try that and hope it works for you! Good luck
  • After two bouts with mastitis, my supply dropped, and I've had luck getting it back up with lactation cookies, eating extra oatmeal (real stuff, not processed), drinking a TON of water, making sure to eat more since I didn't eat a lot while sick, and power-pumping every few days for a week or two (20-minute pump, 10 minutes off, 10-minute pump, 10 minutes off, 10 minute-pump).
  • Loading the player...
  • Post on the breastfeeding board. They are super helpful.
  • dmh1687dmh1687 member
    edited September 2015
    I've heard power pumping works.
  • kysmas said:
    I am a first time mommy and I have been trying to breastfeed but my little girl won't latch so I have been pumping. I get 5 ounces with both boobs but two weeks ago I got sick. I have been feeling better since but my breastmilk is not going back to it's original ounces I maybe get an ounce with both boobs together. My question is will it come back or should I give up and do formula? It's making me feel horrible that I am not making enough

Your supply could rebound, but you might need to supplement depending...

What are you trying to increase supply?
    There are lactation cookies (google for recipes), Mother's Milk Tea (easy to brew and drink 3X a day), and water until your eyeballs float. You can also pump every 4 hours in addition to nursing. You don't say if you've tried these things. Sickness can cause a momentary dip in supply, but usually it will rebound.

Its not a personal failing when you have supply issues, but I understand that feeling. I had it as well with my daughter. Good luck.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers