November 2015 Moms
Options

Thanking People at Shower for Gifts Sent to my Home?

edited September 2015 in November 2015 Moms
Hello ladies.  I found some advice on this from threads from a few years ago, but none of them really addressed my question--they were usually concerning gifts being mailed ahead of the shower to the shower location.

Background: My two baby showers are 4 and 8 hours away from my home, closer to friends and family.  My Amazon registry offers free shipping to my house, which is really useful as we're concerned about getting gifts (especially bigger ones) home in our tiny car.  Multiple relatives who will be attending my shower mailed the gifts to me ahead of time.  We will not have room to bring these gifts to the shower with us. 

I've opened these gifts (they mostly weren't gift wrapped) and let the relatives know I received them over the phone.  I was planning on mailing out the thank you notes after my shower this weekend. How can I make sure they feel acknowledged at the shower itself? One of the guests, for example, will be my grandmother who generously bought us a pack n play and I want to make sure she doesn't feel looked over when I'm opening gifts from my other grandmother, etc. Some of my relatives are a little sensitive about this kind of thing, so I really want to do this the right way.

Re: Thanking People at Shower for Gifts Sent to my Home?

• Options
    We are having bigger items shipped to our house from guests as our shower will be out of state in a few weeks. We got one thing shipped to us by a group of people who are coming to the shower as well. I wasnt sure what to do with the thanking part. My mother in law suggested waiting to send the thank you cards until after the shower because sometimes people will bring more items to the shower and then thank them in person at the shower as well for the gift they already sent.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are having bigger items shipped to our house from guests as our shower will be out of state in a few weeks. We got one thing shipped to us by a group of people who are coming to the shower as well. I wasnt sure what to do with the thanking part. My mother in law suggested waiting to send the thank you cards until after the shower because sometimes people will bring more items to the shower and then thank them in person at the shower as well for the gift they already sent.
    I disagree with the last part - I would send a thank you card right away, especially for bigger items. It's the polite thing to do, IMO. If they give you more gifts at the shower, definitely send a second thank you card. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I disagree with the last part - I would send a thank you card right away, especially for bigger items. It's the polite thing to do, IMO. If they give you more gifts at the shower, definitely send a second thank you card. 

I agree they need to be thanked in a timely manner, if you get another gift at the shower, then send another thank you card.
  • Options
    Agreed with PP's! You get the spotlight so I'd probably mention them during a toast, too.
  • Options
    Just wanted to add that (I know) I have a few older relatives who don't use tracking on their mail, so an email or note also reassures them that their gifts have made it to the house.  Obviously thanking them in person at the shower is lovely and appropriate, but getting those than you notes out as soon as you recieve a gift will not only get it off your plate, but might put some gift-givers minds at ease!
  • Options
    Thanks guys.  I received the gifts all in the week and a half leading up to the shower, so I'd see some of them at the shower in person sooner than the card would get to them in the mail.  I did however, call and thank them on the phone the night I received the gift so they did know right away that their gift was received and appreciated.  I will of course be sending out written thank you notes, but at this point it makes sense to wait as the shower is only a few days away.  

Is it better to mail those thank you notes or could I hand them to the family in person if I see them the next day?

I'm not sure if we'll really have a toast (it will be pretty informal with my family packed into my grandmother's living room and a homemade cake and solo cup punch likely) but I like the idea of mentioning them specifically after the other gifts have been opened. Should I specifically note what they bought in my public shower thank you or is that weird?  
  • Options

I had a surprise shower so I didn’t have this exact problem, but I did receive a few gifts that people sent directly to my house before my family held my shower.  I had already called to thank those folks and I had sent a thank you note, but after I was done opening gifts at my shower I gave a speech to thank everyone for their generosity (and the great surprise!) and to give an additional thanks to those who had sent me gifts beforehand as they were in attendance.  Since there were only about 3 folks who did that and they were present at the shower, I felt it important to make mention of that.  Also, one of my aunt’s had sent a gift to our house (larger item) AND gave us some other items at the shower so I made certain to mention that when I opened her gift that day.  I personally feel its important to give people that recognition especially since they might have felt awkward sitting at a table of folks they know and people didn’t hear their respective names read off of the card/gift that day. 

• Options
    I received some gifts in the mail and what I did was set them up and take pictures of them in the house. Then I had the pictures printed and put on a poster board. I then acknowledged the gifts at the beginning of opening time and people checked them out during one of my potty breaks. Everybody enjoyed getting to see what the bigger items looked like especially the crib and change table my parents bought us and had sent us.
  • Options
    I agree send thank-you notes ASAP and thank them at the shower. You could also take a photo of you with the gift and put those on the gift table as well. My aunts had a swing shipped to me (I didn't know yet). And put a picture of it in a box for me to open, so my picture idea is just a reverse of that.