November 2015 Moms

31+2 measuring 37 weeks!

Have just seen my midwife and I'm measuring nearly 6 weeks ahead. My last appointment 2 weeks ago showed I was a week ahead so how have I jumped that far forward? She's going to book me in for another scan but I'm worried! Any info appreciated x

Re: 31+2 measuring 37 weeks!

• Fundal? If so it's notoriously inaccurate. I measured at least 6 weeks ahead with my son consistently and all was well he was just on the larger side.
  • It depends on much youve eaten. Seriously the fundal is always inaccurate unless its first thing in the mornjng and you have not eaten and are not constipated. I wouldnt read too far into it. Mine are always off.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am measuring at 34 weeks but I'm only 30 weeks. And my last appointment I was only ahead by 1 week. My dr also scheduled me for another ultrasound to check his growth. Hoping it's just because I had eaten a lot before my appointment and I needed to use the restroom!
  • I am 29 weeks and measuring 34 weeks. Doc didn't seemed worried. He just said baby may be on the larger side
  • I think of the fundal height measurement just as an indicator if they need to double check the growth, if it is on track no worries. If it is not on track, then double check with an US. As PP have mentioned there are lots of reasons it could measure off, that are all fine and normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Usually these measurements aren't accurate and can be very off. Do you have GD by chance though? Could explain the large size, but more than likely they're off is all. Don't panic!
  • Why do they even bother with these measurements? Everyone measures differently and if they are concerned then they just request an ultrasound. Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to just give everyone a 32 or 34 week ultrasound?
  • I was measuring "4 weeks behind". Just had my ultrasound and the tech said that LO is actually measuring 1 week, 4 days ahead. So I wish I had trusted everyone who said the measurement was generally inaccurate before losing sleep!
  • Fundal? If so it's notoriously inaccurate. I measured at least 6 weeks ahead with my son consistently and all was well he was just on the larger side.
    With my mom's first (my sister), she was measuring really big toward the end.  So much so that the staff started making comments/taking bets as to how big the baby was going to be.  She even went two weeks over and my sister still didn't break 8 lbs.  Fundal measurements are nothing to get too concerned about.
  • urby87 said:

Fundal? If so it's notoriously inaccurate. I measured at least 6 weeks ahead with my son consistently and all was well he was just on the larger side.

With my mom's first (my sister), she was measuring really big toward the end.  So much so that the staff started making comments/taking bets as to how big the baby was going to be.  She even went two weeks over and my sister still didn't break 8 lbs.  Fundal measurements are nothing to get too concerned about.

Yeah I'm just at a loss, there have been probably a half dozen plus "fundal height worries threads" but 50% or better of the OPs don't know what the word fundal means!
  • With my first I measures 4 weeks ahead...she came 4 weeks early and was 7 lbs 9 oz. They scheduled an ultrasound to make sure fluid levels were good and baby girl was ok. Measuring ahead had nothing to do with her being preemie-just showing you how big she was :) she is happy, healthy, and the right size! Don't stress...I'm sure it will all be fine