December 2015 Moms

Placenta capsules?

I have heard about some moms getting their placenta made into capsules and how great it made them feel. Plus all the other great benefits. Iam not sure how I feel about that but Iam going to look into getting more info. Have any of you ladies gotten it? Or heard anything?? Thanks! :)

Re: Placenta capsules?

• I have heard of it and had thought about it. Just an FYI, it's not legal in every state. Where I live, it is legal so long as you request the placenta before birth. I knowing Illinois it is illegal because placenta is considered bio hazardous waste.

Apparently, freeze-drying it takes some of the nutrients out of it and other people will tell you to blended up into a smoothie and drink it.

After actually seeing placenta, I have decided that this is not a route for me to take but I wish you good luck with it if you choose to do it.
  • Never heard of this. Interesting. But, I will in no way, shape, or form be consuming my placenta.
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally I think it a big fat YUCK because you are consuming the organ (?) That filtered all of the babies waste for 40 weeks! There have also been articles and studies that concluded ingesting the placenta in any form does absolutely nothing but some mom's swear it cured their ppd and other things.

To each their own but I won't be eating at your house lol!
  • To each their own. That wouldn't be for me. I plan to donate my placenta and cord blood, though.
  • I was actually very interested in doing this, but the more I research the more I see there isn't any medical proof that it is actually beneficial - more like a placebo effect. Around here it costs $200+ so i'm not sure if it's worth it to me. 
  • Iam in Canada and it costs around 200$ here too.
  • My friend did this with her 2nd baby. Among other benefits she experienced, she said it increased her milk supply, which is apparently often reduced by c-section meds.
    <3 Rachel <3 
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Beyond the eating the placenta part. I am bothered by the thought that peeing or pooping yourself in labor is a real possibility and the placenta being delivered into the same vicinity is really what does me in about the entire topic (I just don't see the area getting cleaned well enough that I would consider eating something from the same surface). It is illegal or against hospital policy in many places so often times people have a friend or doula "steal it" which adds a second layer of sanitation concern in my mind (it is an animal product!). My 3rd issue is if it isn't widely accepted the person encapsulating it is unlikely to be inspected for "food" sanitation standards, so how good and safe is the handling of it for encapsulation and how are you sure you get your own back and not someone elses? I also don't see research that justifies it is worth it.
  • Definitely like to make mine into placenta sushi rolls!
  • Lol it's okay there is no poop with the placenta, if you do poop it's usually a small amount during pushing baby out and you won't notice as the nurse cleans it right away, unless someone screams out YOU POOPED but I'm sure that will not happen.
  • Im consuming mine in smoothies again.
    Emily & Alex imageimage

Genuine questions here.
    What does consuming your placenta do for you? Do you drink it all in one day or do you cut up in pieces and store portions in the fridge? If not all in one day how long does it take? Do you use the cord too? What do you mix with it? What does it taste like?
    So many questions....

Genuine questions here.
    What does consuming your placenta do for you? Do you drink it all in one day or do you cut up in pieces and store portions in the fridge? If not all in one day how long does it take? Do you use the cord too? What do you mix with it? What does it taste like?
    So many questions....
    Also, what kind of smoothie? Like a kale or nice strawberry banana?
  • I'll be encapsulated mine. I have a friend who runs a small business doing this and I feel very comfortable with her handling practices. It's a very individual choice and to me it makes a lot of sense when you think about the hormone loss after birth. As mammals we are the only species that I know of that does not routinely consume the placenta after birth. But like many have already said to each their own.
  • I read somewhere that chimpanzees do the Lotus birth. Where they don't eat the placenta but leave it attached to the baby until it falls off on its own. I don't think whales or dolphins eat theirs either. Or camels.
  • I'm still stuck on the placenta burgers comment @nik6499 made. *Shudders*
  • I have seriously considered this only because i had post partum depression with my second and i am terrified to experience this again. My ob had given me 3 options. 1. Wait and see how i feel a couple weeks after birth and determine what to do if i do experience it again. 2. Start anti depressants at 37 weeks to lower my risk and wean off of them later. 3. Encapsulate my placenta and see if that prevents ppd.
    Encapsulating the placenta seemed the best out of all these options. But after doing much research i found the odds were split. Im still not sure which route im going to take yet.
  • yl1m32015 said:

redfallon said:

There are innumerable things that humans don't do that other mammals do, so I don't see that as a reason to do those things. Also, you then have the argument with people on the lotus birth thing about not cutting the cord at all until it falls off and they carry the placenta around in a bag. Most animals chew/cut the cord immediately after birth. I don't like comparing people to what animals do.

Yeah I don't lick my own butthole. Even if I could reach it with my tongue, I still wouldn't.

But no seriously, lots of dogs eat their own crap too. And some animals kill their babies after birth. And praying mantises kill dudes after sex, (our husbands should be happy we aren't preying mantises.)

This is not my cup of tea. I prefer my tea without placenta in it.
    Hahahaha.... what about it being on the side of your tea? Baked into crumpets, perhaps?
  • @MrsBwIVF you don't mess with crumpets, keep your placenta away!
  • Animals consume the placenta for a multitude of reasons that are not a factor for humans. We are not worried that the stench of the rotting flesh will attract predators, we do not often have multiple births and need to stimulate continued labor/contractions.

Ultimately to each their own, just saying there a valid reasons animals eat them. For humans its cultural, and for some it's the latest fad. I have not seen any valid research that states it prevents PPD. Would likely be an interesting study.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • I had every intention of doing this. In capsules not milkshakes. But after reading several studies that said it basically did nothing, I decided to put my money toward something else.
  • This just grosses me out way too much to even consider doing this, but I have a friend that did the capsules and said she felt it did help her have more energy and avoid ppd. It was her first pregnancy though, so she may have felt that way even without consuming the placenta.