November 2015 Moms
Options

Insomnia at its finest!

So I will be 29 weeks on Thursday, and for the past couple weeks sleep is so hard to come bye. I know that insomnia or sleep deprivation is a common symptom going into the 3rd trimester but I'm honestly struggling a lot. I am a natural belly sleeper so sleeping on my sides is already a struggle. I've tried pillows and anything to pretty much get comfy at night but nothing has worked. It's to the point where I lay myself down around 10p.m until 11:45/12 where I give up and go on Pinterest and look at things on my phone. I end up awake till 6a.m when I have to get ready for work. My body exhausted but not allowing me to sleep. Is anyone having insomnia hit them hard around this time of your pregnancy? Also is there any remedies or little things you guys do to help you pass out. I'm a ftm and in desperate need of a good nights rest!

Re: Insomnia at its finest!

• Options
    I had the same problem and to me that sounds like pretty severe insomnia. I suggest talking to your doctor. Mine gave me ambien which has saved my sanity. Not sure how you feel about meds but my doc feels comfortable with me taking it as not sleeping can be harmful. Either way, remember this is temporary and you're almost there! Good luck!
  • Options
    I've been up until 1 or 2 in the morning, and I toss and turn all night. Then I'm up at 7 am for no reason. I've never had trouble sleeping, so it will be something I bring up to my midwife Friday.

OP I suggest you also talk to your dr if you haven't planned to already!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand completely and am planning to discuss with my dr at today's appt. it's awful when all you want is sleep and you can't make it happen.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me, I also was prescribe a low dose ambien bc the doctor said it wasn't harmful and not sleeping is more detrimental to the babies health than a lot of things! It saved my life!!!
  • Options
    Any advice to try before the meds? I had a little trouble two nights ago and got maybe 2.5 hrs last night (was still up when DH got back from a night shift at 4am). I think it's too early to say it's a pattern for me so I'd like to try something without meds first. Thanks!
  • Options
    I've been taking unisom and I decided last night to try not to take it since I knew I could nap today if I needed to. Well that didn't last long till I gave up and took it since I couldn't sleep and was miserable. I was hesitant to take any kinds of meds, but unisom and ambien are safe during pregnancy and it's much better to sleep rather than deprive you and your baby of the rest you need.

As for other things to try, I didn't really have much success with "natural" remedies but you can try taking a warm bath shortly before bed to relax your body. If you can, stop drinking any fluids around 7 so you don't have to get up as much at night to pee. Get your SO to give you a massage. Try a different pillow arrangement.
  • Options
    For those of you wanting to try a more natural approach first, DH has been rubbing my back with Dr Teal's soothe and sleep body oil at night this week. I found it at Walmart. It's magical! I've tried lavender lotions, because they seem to work for daughter, and they've never worked for me, but this stuff is awesome.
  • Options
    So I will definitely talk to my doctor about this problem I'm having. It's just that I don't have another apt till the 16 & idk if my body can make it that long on no sleep! Also is it important enough to call him about. I feel like my doctor gets irritated w things like this. That's why I was looking for good home remedies or anything else to help
  • Options
    eilykylie said:

So I will definitely talk to my doctor about this problem I'm having. It's just that I don't have another apt till the 16 & idk if my body can make it that long on no sleep! Also is it important enough to call him about. I feel like my doctor gets irritated w things like this. That's why I was looking for good home remedies or anything else to help

I think it's definitely important enough for a call. That's how I got my prescription. Explain that's it's interfering with your ability to function. Lack of sleep can be harmful when it comes to driving, etc. plus your peace of mind is important for a healthy pregnancy. I wouldn't worry about irritating your doc. He's paid good money to take care of you!
  • Options
    I had about 5 nights where I couldn't get a good nights sleep. I was going to order some melatonin for myself, but decided to use some of my essential oils instead. I used Lavender and Serenity (a relaxation blend) and I slept like a rock. I woke up when my DH got up for work around 6, read a little of my book then fell back asleep until 8. I'm definitely going to be making those oils a nightly ritual now. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have a recliner? If so, maybe you can try sleeping on that since you are a back sleeper?
  • Options

I've always been a night owl so it's hard trying to break that to let myself rest, but now more than ever my mind is filled to the brim. Here's some random things I try and practice or incorporate, maybe something will work for you. :)
    Try not to hang out in bed during the day, even to read or watch t.v.,to kind of let your mind know that the bed is reserved for sleep or laying down.
    I have it as cold as I can make it in this Florida heat. Fans.
    I usually end up falling asleep while creating really intricate daydream scenarios in my head..I wonder if others do too.
    Sometimes stretching relaxes me, other times it energizes me, so who knows..whatever works for you.
    When my room is clean and organized I do sleep much better.
    Midnight snacks. For me it's almost always toast and warm pb.
    Try not to get caught up in the intricate land of Internet! The screen lighting at least should be turned down if you are. (I said I TRY and incorporate..been up all night myself.)

Good luck!! It's a cruel joke to have so many people telling me "sleep now while you can!" Eh.
  • Options
    What time are you all taking your vitamins? If it's at night, try taking them in the morning. I have terrible middle insomnia (going to sleep in the first place is no problem but staying asleep is a HUGE issue) and in my quest for answers I learned that certain supplements can cause insomnia. I used to take glucosamine a couple years ago for joint issues I was having but stopped when I found out it causes insomnia. Vitamin C does as well. Might be something to look into, go down the list of what's in your prenatals and find out of any of them could be the culprit, and if so then try taking them in the morning instead of at night.