April 2016 Moms

Am I alone on the fat side...

Hey guys I just wanted to see if I am the only one feeling fat so soon? I am only 6 wks 3 days I am normally a size 4 but everything is already looking bad or getting tight. I feel like I wear leggings every day. I know I need to exercise but I am trying to save for the new baby so no gym membership right now. The reason I mentioned the gym is that is where I am most motivated to work out I like classes. Does anyone have any good daily workouts they do at home? I need something not so repetitive something to keep me excited but not over exertion because of the new little one.

Re: Am I alone on the fat side...

• You're not alone! At this stage it's bloat and I can feel your pain (6+1 today). Some ladies have said water and stool softener have helped them.

The classes you are doing (depending on how hot the room is and wether it's too hard etc.) should be ok. I just did a yoga/Pilates class and they gave me alternate moves to do that were better for baby. I know that most established classes do this. The rule with exercise is that, for the most part, you should continue your exercise regime as before except in cases of overheating (eg. Hot yoga, heated pools etc) or too much pressure on the abdomen. Pregnant women are recommended to do 30mins of exercise a day, although with fatigue I'm finding this difficult.

If you're worried about your current exercise regime, I'd talk to your doctor. Good luck!
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• If there is a planet fitness or you fit in your area it is only 10$ a month, look into those gyms!
  • Loading the player...
  • These are some great ideas... I did have a membership to the YMCA but they are like 50 a month which DH thinks is crazy. I think I will look and try to find a planet fitness $10 is not that bad. Do any of you have any home classes or internet videos you use to replace in gym classes? I used to do a little bit of P90x but I do not think I should do that crazy of a workout while pregnant.

Are you ladies using any good exercise video programs that help with feeling less fat or bloated I guess?
  • I had all intentions of walking daily and doing some prenatal yoga I saw on YouTube but until morning sickness subsides I'm counting it towards my stomach workout and laying flat on the floor at work as yoga.

There is tons of stuff on pinterest and you tube if you are looking for prenatal workouts. Hope this helps.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did you have a regular exercise routine prior to getting pregnant? If you did, try and maintain something similar to what you were doing. Do not start any type of new exercise program (aside from walking or light weights) prior to talking to your doctor. There are a lot of fad exercises out there that are not safe to begin pregnant if your body isn't used to it. And while looking on Pinterest and YouTube can be a great way to find new exercises, its also a great way to get hurt if you don't have someone there to teach you how to do things correctly. I do CrossFit and have a coach/trainer that I work with whenever I'm working out. CrossFit gets a bad rap because people will look up how to do it online, do it incorrectly, and get hurt. So just be careful and please please consult your doctor.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Just an FYI you can apply for financial aid with the YMCA. Obviously I don't know your financial situation but each Y raises money to be able to help families stay involved.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If anyone has an Xbox One and Xbox Live Gold, they have an awesome app called Fitness with a whole bunch of free workout videos. I would love to have a gym membership, but because of the expense I've been using this instead. I feel like I'm getting double value for the gold membership because my husband obviously uses it for video games and I use it to work out.
  • I think walking would be a great solution, and it's free. However, you could also check out some pregnancy videos/DVDs from the library, I've done that before and it's great. If you like them, you can invest in them through amazon or something, which would be relatively inexpensive. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Your cable provider may have OnDemand options that you can do for free as well. Last pregnancy I used the prenatal yoga on xfinity and tried to walk 30-60 minutes a day to keep my health and sanity in check!
  • I am really short so my clothing size is about average. But I feel much bigger is maybe a better way of saying it! My DH has PS4 I wonder if they have any exercise stuff. We are content money wise just trying to save here and there where we can and a membership was one of those cuts to save.  
  • You tube barre method workouts. No impact, small movements. Totally doable at home. I've never been so sore and "worked out" in my life. Pair that with some walk jogging and you should be all set. 6 more weeks till you hopefully feel like a new person!
  • I could afford a gym membership, but not the babysitter to go with it!  When I work out, I like yoga videos on YouTube.  Yogalosophy and Buti yoga are my favorites, but often their voices make me angry (I might have a problem- I hate being encouraged when I work out), so sometimes I sort of cobble together my own workout with elements of both, and lots of sun salutations to get my heart rate up. It's different every time, so I don't get bored.  Your ps4 should be able to stream the YouTube.
  • I was going to mention youtube as well, there are a ton of fitness videos on there.  We stream through our smart tv and its an awesome workout source.
  • Pinterest has good workouts even broken down by trimester. Just put on some pandora and do what you can. I'm exhausted from teaching all day so I just want to come home and nap.
  • I am a lot skinnier now than I was when I started my first pregnancy and I feel like all the bloat and yuckniess is way more obvious as a result! I have also gained 5 lbs already :'( I am still running 3-4x a week, but I can't stop eating carbs every hour. When I do, I feel so sick. Whatever... I will keep exercising and hopefully once the M/S passes, the bloat will go down and I can get back on track. I haven't done many workouts, but I just love running. Some days if I don't have time to get my run in or I'm really not feeling it, I'll walk instead (with my son in the stroller). Bonus if I can get my husband to come with us.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • chantzieschantzies member
    edited September 2015
    The last time I was pregnant I was working out a lot and the pregnancy symptoms were totally manageable. It's hard to get motivated but knowing how much better you'll feel after is motivating! Hmmmm, sit here, feel bloated and nauseous all day or feel 10x better? That usually gets me out the door. Good luck. Not sure if you want to reconsider the gym membership or if you want to take up daily long walks with a buddy.
  • I looked at YouTube videos... I kind of don't like the way the head person sounds so fake its annoying. " you go girl.... tuck that baby in..." I just cannot listen to that once more.I think I am going to start jogging and walking for 30m -1hr and then maybe add some of the yoga stuff. I keep hearing doing yoga throughout the pregnancy helps with labor so I want to make that happen. My DH bought me a bike before I found out about the baby. He wanted us to start mountain biking which now is not an option, but maybe just riding up and down the street. Does anyone bike ?