September 2015 Moms

Contractions

I feel so clueless when it comes to contractions!! I don't know if I'm actually having them or how to time them!! I've been cramping all evening and my stomach has been very tight. How to time them?!

Re: Contractions

• Try looking for a contraction app for your phone. It might help you track them and help decide if you need to be seen. Good luck!
  • I have one on my phone. I feel so foreign to this. Accompanied by the cramping and lower back pain tho, I have a feeling I could be starting labor.
    It's not letting off.
  • Loading the player...
  • Keep an eye on it. And at any point if you don't feel right or the pain is unbearable it never hurts to go get checked out.
  • See for me, my menstrual cramps were always severe, so this just feels minor to me at this point. I have no idea how to gauge this!!
  • I think it would be stronger then your cramps. Try changing positions, walking, drinking water. If at some point the pain becomes too unbearable go get checked out. With my first I think I went to L&D 10 times. I felt bad for going but I didn't know what else to do. That's their job to be there for you and give you reassurance.
  • I've def been contracting, I just have no idea how to time them. I have a midwife and I am to call her when they are 4 mins apart, or my water breaks.
  • I know how you feel! I started with stomach ache and lower back ache on Saturday at 2pm and it was mild on an off til about 7 then I went to lie down in bed and it got worse like really really bad period pains in my stomach in back. I still managed to fall asleep and when I woke up it had stopped. Then yesterday the lower back ache started again and I was having period pains but not as bad as the night before. I had a bit of a bloody show not like mucus but I rang the hospital anyway and they said it sounds like Braxton hicks because they were irregular. If my pain had gotten worse than what it was Saturday night I defiantly would of thought it was labour but I'm just back to the mild cramps again. I'm certainly getting more aches and pains more often but nothing regular enough to start timing or know when the next ones coming x
  • I have the same concern, my Dr said when I have a contraction I won't be able to talk and I won't want my husband talking to me when I have it. Hopefully that helps.
  • I've been having them consistently tonight and if I stand up, I have one the whole time. They aren't super painful.
  • Getting frustrated with my husband who thinks we need to do everything by the book, such as all woman's contractions being the same so he won't call the midwife. Grrrr
  • A real contraction will take your breath away. You won't be able to talk.
  • My midwife came and checked me a couple hours ago and my cervix was still a bit too high to tell bit she could feel babies head which is really low. She said it sounds like early labor. Now I have a headache and baby is moving even further down and I feel rather nauseous with each contraction :(
  • jkjdd said:

A real contraction will take your breath away. You won't be able to talk.

Not always true. I never had a contraction like that. There are no rules. Everyone's body and labor and pain tolerance are different, and it can even vary between pregnancies in the same woman. I hate reading blanket statements like this, it's so misleading.
  • cmlsucmlsu member
    edited September 2015
    kanga915 said:

jkjdd said:

A real contraction will take your breath away. You won't be able to talk.

Not always true. I never had a contraction like that. There are no rules. Everyone's body and labor and pain tolerance are different, and it can even vary between pregnancies in the same woman. I hate reading blanket statements like this, it's so misleading.
    I agree. I'm currently being induced and having supposedly really strong contractions, but my regular period cramps (which are severe) are worse than this. I can only tell they're happening by watching the monitor.

Everyone feels things differently. Trust your body and your instincts and when in doubt, call or get checked out.

Edited for auto correct fail.
  • This is exactly how I have been. About 3 weeks ago I had timable Braxton hicks for about 2 hours. Then basically nothing either I get light back pain and what feels like gas pains, or I can feel my uterus tighten if I'm watching tv. Nothing like the period pain I'm used to. The doctor said I've been having contractions and I need to start paying attention to them. Basically said I have a really high pain tolerance
  • Yea, my period cramps are super severe so it's hard for me to gauge what I am to expect. I can tolerate quite a bit but these were coming consistently and lasting a good minute. For me, they weren't extremely painful. Been experiencing the same thing all day today as well as sleeping A LOT!! I have maybe been up for a total of 2 hours all day today!!