Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Help!!! 13 month old STTN but nap is a nightmare!

My 13 month old son is sleeping through the night (8p-8a with a 5am breastfeed) but naptime is AWFUL.  He will lay down fine about 1pm (usually rock to sleep, takes 5 minutes) but then he will wake up 20-45 minutes later and want to be completely done with nap.  He is usually disoriented, and I have tried giving him time to cry and fall back asleep, which he has done maybe like twice.  But other than that I have let him cry and he'll cry for like 45 minutes and when I go in he is like awake-awake, I'll try to comfort or rock him and he doesn't want anything to do with it.  Then he will not want to fall asleep again til night time.  This is driving me insane.  My 3 1/2 year old will take a 3 hour nap (1p-4p) but if my smallest son is causing too much commotion then of course it affects my oldest sons nap.  Ahhhhhh!  It's just so weird to me that he sleeps great at night and naptime is such a different world!  I try to do everything the same (noise machine, darkened curtains, rocking, sleeps in Halo sack)

Re: Help!!! 13 month old STTN but nap is a nightmare!

• I think this varies a lot for each kid. Mine naps and sleeps really well, but most of my friends children, of the same age, don't. I always make her stay in bed an hour. She has to at least attempt to nap. After that I'll get her up, but a lot of times she's only out of bed about 30 minutes and then she's ready to go down for an actual nap that will last an hour or more.
  • Thank you for the reply mysquishy.  Yesterday went much better, I posted this post the evening of the most horrible naptime!  I think it is just a phase and he is adjusting.  Your moral support meant a lot - I think that's the best part of this site is all of us moms being able to turn to each other and support each other.
  • Loading the player...
  • What if you try putting your son down a little bit earlier ? I noticed that with DD that sometimes even a half hour window can make or break a nap. I usually feed her lunch at 12:00 and put her down by 12:30 for a nap and she naps for 3.5 hours. I would suggest playing around with the times he goes down..:hopefully it is something easy as that
  • I am in a bit of a predicament with that one because my 3 year old was napping at 2pm, and I all ready moved the naptime up to 1pm.  I don't think my 3 y/o would be tired enough for a nap any earlier than 1.  I have had a couple of REALLY good days today and yesterday so I am praying it will continue!
  • When my DD was 13 months she needed a morning and afternoon nap. You could try giving your younger child a nap at 10 and then letting them both nap at 2:00?
  • When my DD was 13 months she needed a morning and afternoon nap. You could try giving your younger child a nap at 10 and then letting them both nap at 2:00?
    This, I think 13 months is way to young for only one nap.