High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Any GD ladies being given the choice to go over your due date?

When I first got diagnosed with GD I was told by my midwife that I wouldn't be able to go over 40 weeks, which I completely understand.

Now the obstetrician at the hospital is being all very flexible and relaxed about it.

Today I am 36 weeks 5 days. She said she wants me back in two weeks to do another scan and check on things (which would be 38 weeks 5 days) and then if that all looks fine she'd get me back two weeks after which in her words would put me, "just a bit over your due date" I make it 40 weeks and 5 days.  

Then she said, "we like to avoid induction" so we'll look at inducing "around" your due date depending on how things are looking, and followed that with, "unless you didn't want to go very far over your due date did you?"

I supppose I was just a bit taken aback, and I know that if something abnormal showed up closer to the time that they would absolutely recommend I be induced early, but at this point they seem very, "oh well just whatever you want, and we'll play it by ear, and try and give you wriggle room to go into labour on your own." Which is very different than what I was told to expect.

I'm in NZ, so perhaps things are different here, and my obstetrician is Canadian so perhaps the Canadians have a different approach (I've been told in Germany the general approach is to let you go to 41 weeks with GD)

Just curious if your GD is being managed with diet and exercise, and not requiring medication, how things are being approached for you in terms of induction etc.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Any GD ladies being given the choice to go over your due date?

• Options
    I'm 33 weeks and my GD is controlled by diet. My OB so far says that I will not have to be induced if I don't have to use meds to control it. I'm in the U.S.
  • Options
    I had been told since I was diagnosed that I couldn't go past 40 weeks, but now at 37 and 2 and still diet controlled my doctor says they'll let me wait to 41 knowing I don't want to be induced unless I really have to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi @BonnyJW and @thtrchic,

thanks for that feedback. I was just starting to feel anxious because everyone had been so clear that going over 40 weeks was not an option, and then suddenly I have an obsterician who seems all very relaxed about it. 

Which I'm glad for, as long as baby is healthy, because I really don't want to be induced, if I can avoid it.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    thtrchicthtrchic member
    edited September 2015
    It seems like their general philosophy is that if you're diet controlled it's not much different than a standard pregnancy. I think they kept saying I'd have to be induced because they didn't think I'd actually be able to stay diet controlled based on my original test. They're having me do a couple NSTs to keep a closer eye on things than if I didn't have GD, but otherwise seem to be letting it run the "normal" course. I did also have a growth scan and baby was perfect at about 45%, which I assume also influences the "things are ok" decision.