1st Trimester

Mid-wife or OB?

hello ladies,
I'm 11 weeks pregnant and cannot decide if i want a midwife or a OB. I am lucky to have both and have my 12 weeks US scheduled with the midwife this week. My OB also wants to do one this week but at a different location so i need to take a decision this week.

I wanted a midwife as i like the personalized relationship as this is my first pregnancy. At the same time, i'm pretty sure i want an epidural and i want to make sure that we do all the necessary screenings right.

What do you guys think? I feel like i have 2 boyfriends and i need to break up with one of them haha!
Thanks!

Re: Mid-wife or OB?

• Erikato22 said:

hello ladies,
    I'm 11 weeks pregnant and cannot decide if i want a midwife or a OB. I am lucky to have both and have my 12 weeks US scheduled with the midwife this week. My OB also wants to do one this week but at a different location so i need to take a decision this week.

I wanted a midwife as i like the personalized relationship as this is my first pregnancy. At the same time, i'm pretty sure i want an epidural and i want to make sure that we do all the necessary screenings right.

What do you guys think? I feel like i have 2 boyfriends and i need to break up with one of them haha!
    Thanks!

A lot of midwives don't do epidurals depending on where they work out of. I'm using a midwife and will be delivering at a birth center, and epidural is not an option for me. Do you research and go from there.
  • I have worked for both an OB and a midwife and the choice for me is OB 100% . I'm glad too because he had to do a D&C on me and it was nice to know who was doing the procedure. I also work for him currently and have seen him save women's lives. Do your research and do what's right for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe meet with both of them and ask about what their birth procedures are. I agree that a midwife may be more limiting with medications (though my son was randomly delivered by a midwife at a hospital--all the OBs were busy) depending on where they deliver. My best friend used a midwife, and was happy the whole time. However, she ended up having a really serious complication that was missed because her midwifery center didn't run a lot of the diagnostic tests that an OB office would. She ended up with HELLP syndrome and in a coma for almost a week when her daughter was born. Clearly this is NOT standard, but it is why I will go with an OB (and she will next time too). Good luck with your decision!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• OB because I wanted the epidural. An OB can give you personalized relationship as well. I saw the same OB for most of my first pregnancy. I felt like I got to know her well. I did also see the other OBs in the practice, and the OB that ended up delivering my son was one I'd never met - and it totally didn't matter when I was pushing who was there to catch my baby. Follow up care was provided by the OB I saw throughout my pregnancy, and that mattered way more to me. 

In the end only you can decide whats right for you. I suggest meeting with both, then choosing. You don't have to choose now, you can always make a change later in your pregnancy.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker