Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

my toddler won't eat solid food -_-

Hi ladies
So my toddler who is 18 months old is being very difficult in eating solid food, like spaghetti, rice, chicken, meat without being pureed. He is going to daycare and they just informed me that they have to make his food as a puree so he can eat it. Of course my mother in law was feeding him that too so he got used to it. any ways, any advice, suggestions that I can get from any of you on how to get him to eat whatever I cook without putting it in the blender? I do feed him whatever I make but he has become very difficult to do so. His pedi advised to just keep trying and if he doesn't eat it then to just wait until he is hungry and not to feed him anything that i would have to blend. Any advice would help! thank you in advance!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: my toddler won't eat solid food -_-

• Your Pedi is right. If you want, start out slowly without foods smashed up a bit but I would NOT be pureeing anything for him anymore. He's gotten used to that and formed a preference as well as a diversion to solid foods because he's not used to solids. You have to start giving him real food and if he's hungry enough he will eat it. Everyone has to be on board with this though. He won't starve himself.
  • I will start that, I already talked to my mother in law because she's super hard headed and I hate that because sometimes she wants to feed him whatever she wants and I don't tolerate things I do not like! so i tell her. But how should I do with daycare :/ that's my main concern!...thank you so much!

• Loading the player...
  • I will start that, I already talked to my mother in law because she's super hard headed and I hate that because sometimes she wants to feed him whatever she wants and I don't tolerate things I do not like! so i tell her. But how should I do with daycare :/ that's my main concern!...thank you so much!

You should sit down with the daycare folks and explain what's going on and what you need them to do. My son is 3.5 and the pickiest eater I have ever seen. If he doesn't eat at preschool, which is most of the time, they won't give him anything else. He knows this so if kids are hungry enough, they will eat.

I am trying to approach things differently with my daughter (11 months old) and food because I feel like I gave my son purees for far too long and now he doesn't really like anything. Kids are weird though and do what they want.

My mom gives my kids a bunch of crap that I wish she wouldn't so I try to pick my battles and only bring up what I believe is important enough to discuss.  

You should sit down with the daycare folks and explain what's going on and what you need them to do. My son is 3.5 and the pickiest eater I have ever seen. If he doesn't eat at preschool, which is most of the time, they won't give him anything else. He knows this so if kids are hungry enough, they will eat.

I am trying to approach things differently with my daughter (11 months old) and food because I feel like I gave my son purees for far too long and now he doesn't really like anything. Kids are weird though and do what they want.

My mom gives my kids a bunch of crap that I wish she wouldn't so I try to pick my battles and only bring up what I believe is important enough to discuss.  

Thank you! I will take to them today when I pick him up. I do believe I gave my son purees for too long too so I am definitely not making that mistake again with my daughter. Thank you @bigboobsmcgee  for the suggestions.

• You're welcome!
  • Great advice from PP, but also make sure you try to eat as many meals together as possible. My daughter (also 18 months) wants anything I have because we eat basically every meal together.
  • I never realized this until we found the problem with my youngest, but some kids have issues with foods and need occupational therapy. My son couldn't eat purées or soft food or any thing with a slimy texture. He only liked hard crunchy foods. We did an evaluation and discovered that he had an oral motor delay and avoided certain sensory experiences with foods. OT has been a huge help with getting him to eat almost "normally"

• Not all children will eat when they are hungry. Typically developing, somewhat picky or finicky eaters will eat if they are hungry. Children that do not eat sometimes don't even feel the same hunger cues that we would consider normal. A speech therapy evaluation and an occupational therapy evalauto on can help determine if your child has sensory needs that are interfering with eating, and if there are oral motor (chewing, moving food in the mouth, swallowing) problems with eating.

That being said, I agree with PP suggestion of mashed up foods (think sweet potato, squash, banana) to start introducing a little more texture. Use tastes that your child is familiar with. It's a good place to start.

• ehowa499 said:
    Not all children will eat when they are hungry. Typically developing, somewhat picky or finicky eaters will eat if they are hungry. Children that do not eat sometimes don't even feel the same hunger cues that we would consider normal. A speech therapy evaluation and an occupational therapy evalauto on can help determine if your child has sensory needs that are interfering with eating, and if there are oral motor (chewing, moving food in the mouth, swallowing) problems with eating. That being said, I agree with PP suggestion of mashed up foods (think sweet potato, squash, banana) to start introducing a little more texture. Use tastes that your child is familiar with. It's a good place to start.
    Yes, of course there are exceptions as well.