February 2016 Moms

Terrible headaches

Anyone else having terrible headaches? I've been getting them on and off for the last week or so, I'm at 14 weeks now and today it's been so bad I've tried drinking a ton of water, Tylenol a few times today and nothing is helping!!!

Re: Terrible headaches

• I've been rocking out a pretty awesome headache for the last two days. Water, stretching and exercise (in particular!) seem to help. But I don't want to take painkillers so I'm just kind of suffering.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• 2 Tylenol and a cup of half caf coffee works wonders for me. I just started getting daily headaches at 17 weeks (18 weeks now). I feel your pain!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! I've been getting headaches pretty much daily now for almost a month. It's awful and much worse when I lay down or lean over. I've been trying to drink more water and eat more throughout the day and that seems to help. Also Tylenol and caffeine have been helpful sometimes, the rest of the time I just try to grin and bare it. I'm going to make an appointment with the chiropractor too, because I'm hoping that might provide me with some med free relief.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • And btw my bil is a nurse & gets horrible headaches. He told me to try tart cherry juice. I don't know if it will do anything, but I'm willing to give anything a shot at this point!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Yes, daily. Between that and the migraines I'm miserable. I actually have migraine meds to take when I'm not pregnant but right now they are just sitting there mocking me. You could try peppermint oil. I received that little tidbit from someone else on the boards. It definitely doesn't cure it but it does seem to dull it for it a little bit. Also, a really cold washcloth on the forehead and behind your neck. None of it is really a cure all (for me anyways), but it is worth a shot!
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • I've had horrible headaches for past couple of weeks. Been avoiding paracetamol as much as possible, but sometimes had some (I know it's safe to take, but still trying to avoid drugs!). Sleeping is helping! But I start back at work on Tuesday, so naps will be out!
  • Stay hydrated! Also, I was getting terrible headaches and my midwife mentioned that I may not want to cut out caffeine entirely (which I had done). So I started having a cup of coffee each morning and it's been so much better.

• I was having a lot of headaches in my first trimester and peppermint oil was my saving grace. Rub a bit on your temples and it numbs the pain. It also work great for nausea, put a drop in your tongue.
  • Yep, almost daily, and sometimes they last from morning until night. I'm 15w tomorrow and this has been happening about the last 2 weeks. I've tried some coffee, lots of water.. Not much helps. I've stayed away from Tylenol so far. Computer/phone use definitely doesn't help, but I work a lot ok the computer at work, so no avoiding that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yep, pretty much daily for the last two weeks. It's miserable. I can't find anything that seems to help. I've tried to limit screen time/tv but it doesn't seem to be helping too much.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 14 weeks and they started 3 or 4 days ago and it's been a pretty consistent "almost a migraine" headache. Usually I take meds for my really bad headaches but I'm trying to deal with just Tylenol and lots of fluids. Going to try a little caffeine today to see if that helps at all. Might try peppermint oil too now.
  • satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited August 2015
    I was having a lot of headaches in my first trimester and peppermint oil was my saving grace. Rub a bit on your temples and it numbs the pain. It also work great for nausea, put a drop in your tongue.

This is what I do for my headaches/migraines. Peppermint oil is the best because I don't want to take any medicine. I carry it around in my purse so in case I'm at work or something and I feel it coming I can rub it on my forehead. And stay hydrated, eating helps me since I will start to get nauesous if it gets bad. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh, me too. I actually figured out that since my chest is so much bigger these days the extra weight was putting tons of strain on my neck when I wore a sports bra. Changed back to regular bras so the weight was hitting somewhere else, plus begged the DH for some massages, and that's helping. Hope this helps some of the other bustier gals!
  • I get really terrible headaches too. Staying hydrated, a little bit of caffeine, and napping is the only way I get relief. I check my BP regularly, just to monitor that my headaches aren't from elevated BP because I worry about that. So long as my BP stays in normal range, I try not to worry about the headaches, even though they suck :( I hope you get relief soon.
  • If you don't have peppermind oil handy someone just told me to either A. Put Vick's Vapor Rub on your forehead and put a wash cloth over it or B. Put your hair dryer on low and hit the temples of your head with the heat. I had a debilitating migraine on Sunday and people told me these baby safe remedies. I wasn't home so I couldn't try them, but I will next time. I've been getting headaches and migraines since day one. I'll be 18w tomorrow.
  • Has anyone else been prescribed butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine combined pill?? Doctor prescribed it to me for the headaches. I talked to him about it and he's very confident it won't harm baby but there's still the nagging feeling that I have about taking medicine while pregnant although I feel the same way about Tylenol which safe lol. Obviously acetaminophen and caffeine are okay in moderation but I haven't found much on butalbital.
  • Yes! I had headaches everyday for a few weeks with no relief, and when I went to the doctor they said I had high BP! So I've been watching what I eat very carefully and drinking lots of water. So far so good.
  • leximd84 said:

Has anyone else been prescribed butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine combined pill?? Doctor prescribed it to me for the headaches. I talked to him about it and he's very confident it won't harm baby but there's still the nagging feeling that I have about taking medicine while pregnant although I feel the same way about Tylenol which safe lol. Obviously acetaminophen and caffeine are okay in moderation but I haven't found much on butalbital.

I have and they didn't seem to help at all. I took one before bed and I should have known better because anything that says "may cause drowsiness" has the opposite effect on me. So not only did it barely touch my headache, it kept me up all night so I felt 10X worse.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel your pain. I keep getting them and it sucks! Tylenol doesn't do crap. I wish I could take Motrin. Peppermint oil does help some. I've heard dissolveable B Complex can help. I keep meaning to try it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes! Terrible headaches by the end of every work day (I'm a high school teacher) and weekly migraines. For the headaches I will just suffer through, but for the migraines I was prescribed maxeran after a 72 hr migraine landed me in the hospital. I was told by my ob, the ER doctor, the pharmacist, AND the on-call call Ob at the hospital that both T3's and maxeran are perfectly safe for baby, though I still feel super guilty taking anything. I was definitely advised NOT to take my pre-pregnancy migraine medication zolmig.
  • Headaches are the worst especially when trying to avoid RX meds!
    Just a word of caution to those of you trying to use peppermint oil to ease nausea (which is great) but the EO peppermint can be dangerous if you are diffusing it with small children around and has been known to cause apnea and dyspnea in smaller children. So always diffuse it away from your little ones especially where they are sleeping.