March 2016 Moms

NIPT test results 99% accurate?

I wonder how accurate they are. I think someone said 99%. Have you heard of anyone having the testing done and it says one sex and the baby being born the opposite?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NIPT test results 99% accurate?

• This is how it works: "If Y chromosome DNA is detected, the fetus is male.  If Y chromosome DNA is not detected, the fetus is female. NIPD for fetal sex determination is 99.5% accurate." (Source)

Based on this, it may not work only if the mother has some chromosomal abnormality that would show presence of a Y chromosome when there was none in the baby, but that kind of condition is quite rare. It might also be inconclusive. Aside from that, or someone screwing up their lab work, it seems to be incredibly accurate.

• I was wondering about them predicting problems. I am so nervous they will tell me the baby is not totally healthy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Read the Boston globe article from last year on prenatal testing (just google it). Never use something from that test as conclusive. I personally don't trust them. If a woman had a 1/300 chance of a baby with Down's syndrome at a certain age, then the company also has that margin of error, and for those that they get wrong they just can just say "oops".
    Just me, my husband and our two dogs for now; Natural pregnancy 5/2011, mc @ 9 weeks 7/2011; IVF 5/2012, 5 eggs retrieved none fertilized; Natural pregnancy 9/2012, mc @ 10weeks 11/2012; Natural pregnancy 7/2013, due 4/2014